Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Shock Part #'S for Lowered 55 Chevy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by xtralow, May 4, 2016.

1. xtralow

xtralow
    from So Cal

Guys - I have a 55 Chevy 2 Dr with a 2 inch dropped spindle up Front and a 2 inch lowering Block and Leaf springs out back.
    I am going to be going to the do it yourself garage and use the hoist and change some stuff shocks being one thing (I would like the shocks in hand before I go)
    Does anyone have a similar set up and have some part numbers that you can post up ? If I remember correctly they are not the stock shocks for a stock suspension set up that is currently on there, I thought they were a different part # and I cannot see any part numbers on there, I know there Monroe's but no part #.
    I searched and couldn't find anything, any part numbers appreciated.
    Thanx H.A.M.B

2. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

If they are Monroe, you should be able to find a number stamped about 1" above the eye of the cylinder end. If there's no # there I would be surprised as I have sold and bought many over the years and they always have had a #. Now, there's a chance yours are so beat or crusty the # is hard to see but if that's the case maybe you can scuff them with some steel wool to get a glimpse of said #.

One thing you could do is go to your preferred parts supplier, ask what their recommended shocks are for a stock 55. Have them look up the dimensions and then you can work backwards from there. They should be able to recommend a shock that will work based off of your OEM dimensions and what you would like to install in the end.

Hope that makes sense.

Graham

3. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

The actual working travel hasn't changed, so factory application still works.