Register now to get rid of these ads!

Shock mount

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fast41, Feb 7, 2008.

1. fast41

fast41

Is it unsafe to weld a lower shock mount onto a straight axle? Or should I drill a hole in it instead? it is a 4" stretched stock axle in a '51 Ford truck. Thanks

2. chaddilac

chaddilac

Should be fine, the axle is forged not cast so you can weld to it. Might be cleaner to drill a hole though.

3. I can't remember exactly how those axles are mounted on that year Ford, but I've seen some old trucks where they sandwiched a steel plate in between the axle and the leaf springs, and that plate has an ear that sticks out to the side with a hole in the ear for a stud type lower shock mount to fit in. Sometimes the ear is cocked crooked a little to angle the hole towards wherever the top of the shock is located.

Or on other trucks, they have a sandwiched plate that has a gusseted stud sticking out the side of it, that the eye of a shock can slide over -- I think maybe a 1/2" or 5/8" stud with a turned down tip where a 3/8" nut tightens down.

Either way, all you have to do is unbolt the U-bolts and slide that plate in there and you won't have to drill or weld on the axle.

alanp561 likes this.