Register now to get rid of these ads!

Shirley Muldowney

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 36 ROKIT, Nov 28, 2008.

1. Deuces

Deuces

Looks like a tainted post.... :rolleyes:

2. 48FordFanatic

48FordFanatic
    from Maine

Just watched the whole thing on youtube. Geat movie !

3. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

she was everything danaka patrick isn't---a real racer...

4. Paul Ceasrine

Paul Ceasrine
    from Wilton, CT

I think I can get in trouble,,,,,,,,,;)

I think the best way to describe Shirley Muldowney, you would have
    to isolate each 'time period'.

Part 1

1958 thru 1961 (Ages 18 thru 21)

The 58' Chevrolet Biscayne (348/315 HP '3 x 2' Barrel) period, where
    she raced that car with the other 'Northeast Speed Shop' racers
    called the 'Tri-City Flywheelers' from Schenectady, Albany and Troy,
    {New York}.

Back then, a 'brassy Chick', who could shift the 4-Speed Borg-Warner
    in the 58' Biscayne pretty good.

A 'Gearheads Wife'..........

Won every 'Powder-Puff Event'

5. Beau

Beau

When I was about about eight years old I got to meet Shirley in person at BRainerd International Raceway in MN. I got a hug and a kiss on the cheek just before she got into her car and pulled into the burnout box. I still have yet to dig the photos out at my parents house.

6. Paul Ceasrine

Paul Ceasrine
    from Wilton, CT

In 1958 at Fonda Speedway - Dragstrip {1/8 Mile Dragstrip in 1958},

Shirley won 'every' Power-Puff Event with the 58' Biscayne 348/315 HP
    'Super Turbo-Thrust' - Police Special.

1958 Biscayne
    * Color........'Red'
    * Engine......348/315 HP '3 x 2 Barrel' {Super Turbo-Thrust}
    * Solid Camshaft
    * Special Order Borg-Warner T-10 '4-Speed'
    * Floor Shifter
    * Police Package {with Heavy-Duty Suspension}
    * 4.11 Gears with Posi-Traction
    * Special Heavy-Duty 10.5" Clutch Package (3-Finger Pressure-Plate w/#1850 lb. Spring-Rate)

With husband 'Jack Muldowney' - a Chevrolet 'Magician' - re-calibrating the '3' Rochester 225 CFM Two-Barrels Carburetors, and re-working the Distributor with a 'performance curve',

Shirley was 'unbeatable' at Fonda Speedway-Dragstrip in 1958.

Of course this lead to jealousy at the Track by other women, who soon despised her 'brassy' attitude.

The Muldowney's 'red' 58' Biscayne, was just 'flat-out' faster than any other 'SS/S'
    Super Stock/Stick car in their class.

Their 58' Biscayne was later found in Pittsfield, Massachussets - in a Barn {1977}.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2013
  7. As a teenaged gearhead in the mid 70's, I thought the only thing hotter than Shirley were the The Runaways...

A few years ago the Missus gave me "Shirley Muldowney's Tales From the Track" for Christmas.

I dunno' how self serving the book may, or may not be, but it was a fun read with lot's of pictures I hadn't seen before.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2013
  8. Paul Ceasrine

Paul Ceasrine
    from Wilton, CT

Mr. Old Mechanic,,,,,,,,

I saw The Ramones, The Runaways and Tuff Darts play at the old Capitol Theatre
    in Passiac, New Jersey (March 25, 1978)

Promoted as "New Wave In New Jersey"

Who didn't love the drummer 'Sandy West'.

A filthy, chain smoking, foul-mouthed Chick ------- I Was In Love.......
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

On a 'lighter note'

Shirley Muldowney won all '7' Powder-Puff Events at Fonda Speedway-Dragstrip
    in 1958.

Once-A-Month -----April thru October

The 'reputation' started to grow,,,,,,,

Erv Grant of "Grant's Northeast Speed Shop" promoted her as;

'The Fastest Powder-Puff Doll In the Northeast'

Last edited: Mar 31, 2013
  9. Saw The Runaways at the Bayou in Wash, DC.

As I recall (the 70's are really hazy) the band was over two hours late and there was a minor riot before they came on stage...

I was close enough to the stage that Joan Jett either spit or sweated on me during the show......

And now, back to our regularly scheduled thread.

How 'bout som'more Shirley history? ;)

10. Paul Ceasrine

Paul Ceasrine
    from Wilton, CT

The 'first noise' about Shirley Muldowney started to develop in 1959 -

June 1959 - Montgomery Airport-Dragstrip (Montgomery, New York)

The Track Race Steward (Morton Gundry) and Track Manager (Paul Jackson) at Montgomery Airport-Dragstrip (Montgomery, New York) refused to allow her to 'Drag Race' the 58' Biscayne in Super Stock/Stick against the 'Men'.

They said, the 19 year-old was 'too' young and 'too' inexperienced to compete
    against veteran Drag Racers, and she would have to compete in the 'Powder-Puff Class'.

Of course that Sunday (June 1959) Shirley blew away everybody to win the "Power-Puff
    Class Trophy'.

The interesting point, is that she ran a quicker E.T. than the 'Men' who were running
    in the same class.

After that 'Win', the 'Rio Red' 1958 Biscyane 348/315 HP '3 x 2 Barrel' was a 'marked car'.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On 'The Runaways'.

At first we thought they were a 'novelty act', and it was rumored that the 'only'
    band member that could play was Lita Ford.

That Night at Capitol Theatre, Lita was by far the 'best musician', as the other band-mates
    struggled.

Lita Ford carried 'The Runaways'.

11. carryallman

carryallman

seen her one time at "cordova " raceway i believe -somebody beat her or her car screwed up -as she was coming down the return road in front of us -somebody heckeled her very bad & load ! ! she flipped him off the complete distance of the bleachers - AND IT WAS THE LONGEST MIDDLE FINGER I HAVE EVER SEEN -MAN OR WOMEN !!!!! that was a day to remember

12. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

I thought the same thing. How about Shirley Shanhan, the Drag-On-Lady.

13. Paul Ceasrine

Paul Ceasrine
    from Wilton, CT

By the 'late Summer of 1959', it had gotten pretty ridiculous at Fonda Speedway-
    Dragstrip, as Shirley had again won every 'Power-Puff Event' with little trouble.

The Fonda Speedway-Dragstrip Track Owner (Ed Fuez) and Track Manager (Jim Gage) finally decided to let Shirley run in the Wednesday Night 'Top Stock Class' with the 'men'.

Starting on Wednesday Night - September 9, 1959 - Shirley would be 'running' against the 'men', in a locally advertised event called,

'Race Against The Men'

Of cource, this was met with 'extreme resistance', as the last thing that a Tri-City
    Drag Racer wanted, was to get their 'doors blown off' by a 19 year-old teenage
    girl.

Still running the 'red' 58' Biscayne 348/315 HP in 'Super Stock/Stick', Shirley was
    classed in SS/S with the other 'men driven cars'.

With nearly 1000 people in the Grandstands, Shirley was knocked off in her first
    Class Run, to the delight of many.

And after '2' more failed attempts at a Class Trophy in September, Shirley finally
    got one at the end of the month.

On Wednesday Night - September 30, 1959 - Shirley drove her 58' Biscayne by
    a 58' Pontiac in the 'First Round', and then by another 58' Biscyane for the 'Class Trophy'.

Not 'one' of the other men drag racers congratulated her.

She was supported only by her friends from Northeast Speed Shop and the Drag Racing Club 'Flywheelers of Schenectady'.

14. BobG

BobG

It was great to get Hollywood to do a movie about Drag Racing and a Drag Racing star because back when it was released it was rare to see Drag Racing based films.
    As far as being accurate... In my opinion it wasn't.
    The vehicles were out of date,
    In reality Connie and Shirley hauled their F/C's on Ramp Trucks and later had Chapparal Trailers for the T/F cars, their trucks and trailers were fancy and top of the line.
    The track locations were off, one caption read Indianapolis but you could see the mountains in the background at OCIR.
    Don't get me wrong it had a plot and it was worth watching.
    I just think it would of made a better film if some time was taken to get the right equipment for time period accuracy, correct cars in the background and maybe even used actual footage of the racing.
    Of course I'm one of those guys that picks out things during a movie that makes my wife mad... lol

15. Pigiron

Pigiron

Jungle to Cha Cha, "You call those tits?"

Attached Files:

• cha.jpg
      cha.jpg
      File size:
      56.1 KB
      Views:
  16. BobG

BobG

If your looking for some more real good Drag Racing films...
    Drag Racer
    Burnout
    Funny Car Summer
    Wheels of Fire
    American Nitro

Great real footage

Last edited: Apr 2, 2013
  17. vega1

vega1

When I was younger the fella I worked for Reid's paint and body we got ahold of one of the mercs that was used in the movie. A guy from Illinois bought it sight unseen. And traded a 68 Vette for the merc site unseen. He then brought. The merc to us to do some work well we ended up redoing the car it was the biggest piece of crap. Windows and rubbers stuck on opening while bondo was still wet six inches literally of mud in roof. Had the taillight bondoed in with silicone and chicken wire to hold them in. Had been side swiped and floor was wrinkled bad. Aluminum flashing and fiberglass made the rocker. It tuned into a 3 year project and a lot of money but it looked killer once we fixed it but the guy would not let us paint it back the way it was in the movie it went candy red I will see if I can dig up the pics it was in 93 till about 95 we redone the car movie cars are usually alway rough as hell

18. Paul Ceasrine

Paul Ceasrine
    from Wilton, CT

In 1960

Fonda Speedway Dragstrip-

Shirley was still running the 58' Biscayne.

Fonda was now a 1/4 Mile Track, and Shirley was the 'local attraction'.

Still, 'Super Stock' and 'Stock' cars had to maintain the 'stock factory configuration'.

But, you could now run Cheater Slicks 8.00 x 14", and add 'Traction Devices', but
    no 'exhaust by-pass cut-outs'.

Jack Muldowney had now put 4.56 Gears in the 58' Biscyane, and the 348/315 HP
    '3 x 2 Barrel' Carbed 'W-Engine' was a winner every time they hit Fonda Speedway
    Dragstrip on Wednesday Nights.

Running 14.30's @ 97 MPH - they were 4/10's quicker than any other Super Stock/Stick car in their class.

The word going around in 1960, was that the Muldowney's were 'cheating', as rumors that the 58' Biscayne had an 'Isky Cam' {'Iskendarian Camshaft} were
    floating around.

Still, Fonda Speedway Dragstrip was a 'Class Trophy Only' for the Super/Stock and Stock Class, so the '$$ Money Boys' were not threatened just yet.

In 1960, the 58' Biscyane won the Super Stock/Stick Class 17 out of 22 appearances, and when Shirley got beat, it was news throughout the Tri-City area {Schenectady, Albany and Troy}

Last edited: Apr 2, 2013
  19. Judson Witham

Judson Witham

Who can remember Pride Motors of Glens Falls and TROPHY SPEED SHOP also of Glens Falls ... My Older Brother Cliff Witham and I think Jim Miner of Miner Auto Parts / Salvage from Troy I think. The Photo is Cliff with his VERY CRAZY FAST Shelby is the Photo You see. ANYONE having any of Shirley's Cars Badged with Trophy Speed Shop PLEASE SHARE ..... Judson Witham ( Son of the Swamp Fox )