Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Shirley Muldowney Has Cancer

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Speed Gems, May 24, 2016.

1. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

I'm not sure if this is O/T or not but the woman considered too be the first lady of drag racing has lung cancer!

Drag racing legend Shirley Muldowney has been diagnosed with lung cancer and will undergo surgery at Novant Health Presbyterian Medical Center in downtown Charlotte early Wednesday morning to remove her right lung, where a Stage II tumor has grown. Renowned thoracic and cardiac surgeon Dr. Harold Howe will lead the team performing the five-hour-long procedure.
    "I urge everyone to keep up with their health and get chest X-rays as often as possible to make sure they are OK," the 75-year-old Muldowney said. "I'm a fighter, always have been, and I'm going to fight this as best I can with everything I got. Dr. Howe is the No. 1 guy in the business, and he's as ready as I am to get this thing out of me.
    "I'm ready for the pain to stop. It's been getting worse the last few weeks as they did biopsies and the pre-op stress tests to make sure I was strong enough to have the surgery. Everything is good, so we're getting it done."
    Muldowney began racing in the 1950s at Fonda Speedway in New York, driving a dragster built by then-husband Jack. Several years later, in 1965, she became the first woman to earn a professional NHRA license. After a few years of racing gas dragsters, Muldowney switched to Funny Car, and in 1971 she won her first major race, the IHRA Southern Nationals. She also began a long career in match races, battling all the best drivers of the era throughout the mid-1970s.
    A move to the Top Fuel class in 1973 helped her burgeoning career blossom. In another major accomplishment, she became the first woman to win an NHRA race in a professional class in 1976, going to the winner's circle at the Spring Nationals in Columbus, Ohio.
    The following season she earned the NHRA Top Fuel championship after becoming the first driver in the class to win three consecutive national events. It was the first time a female driver had won a major motorsports title anywhere in the world. Muldowney earned the Top Fuel crown again in 1980 and 1982, and she also earned the AHRA Top Fuel championship in 1981, her fourth major championship in a six-year period.
    "The fans have always been what's kept me going, and I'm sure people will be concerned about me now," said Muldowney, who had a movie, Heart Like a Wheel, made about her life. "Well don't be; I'll be fine. There are still a lot of things left I want to do."
    In lieu of flowers or cards, Muldowney is asking her friends and fans to donate to her charity, Shirley's Kids, at ShirleysKids.org. Muldowney started the charity this year and already has helped four children in need with large cash donations at races in Gainesville, Fla.; Charlotte; Houston; and Atlanta. Because of corporate support, Shirley's Kids passes through 100 percent of all donations to the children it helps.
    "The most joy I've had in years has come this season working with our little team at Shirley's Kids," Muldowney said. "Stan and Sheila Mae Holt have covered all our costs so all the money we raise goes to the kids, and Rob Geiger, Nicci Gustavus, and Frank Bellini have worked tirelessly to make this thing a success.
    "If people can find it in their hearts to make a donation, that would brighten my spirits immensely because I know where all the money in this charity goes: Right to the kids that need it. And believe me, we have changed some people's lives for the better.
    "Thank you in advance for all the love and prayers. It all helps. My sister (Linda Roque) and niece (Betty Peek) along with Stan and Sheila are here with me, so I'm in great hands."
    Because of her pending surgery and the doctor-recommended recovery and rehabilitation time, Muldowney's agent, Rob Geiger, announced that previously scheduled appearances at the NHRA national events in Englishtown, N.J., and Bristol, Tenn., will be canceled. Depending on Muldowney's health moving forward, other appearance dates will be announced on ShirleysKids.org.

Last edited: May 25, 2016
    Dog_Patch likes this.
  2. That sucks...prayers for Shirley.

3. That sucks. Hope she can recover.

4. 3quarter32

3quarter32

Hoping the best for Shirley. Our son is a cancer surgeon, and says never give in. They are doing amazing thing now days.

stillrunners likes this.

5. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

So sorry to hear. Best wishes.

bald bluff geezer likes this.
  6. funk 49

funk 49

Sorry to hear. Prayers for Shirley and family .
    Funk 49

7. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Terrific Lady - wish her only the very best - help her charity out if you can www.shirleyskids.org

8. Good luck Shirley. If you haven't heard this song listen to it. Shirley is one hell of a chick. One of my favorite songs from the 90s and its all about Shirley.

wedjim and Dog_Patch like this.
  9. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

Have to keep her in our prayers, I'm sure she will fight as hard as anyone can to beat that disease. Joe

10. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

All our best. Fuzz that wasn't very nice. Lippy

11. jimcolwell

jimcolwell
    from Amarillo

God be with you sister

12. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It will be a tough race Shirley but you'll come out on top. You are in our thoughts. Stay strong.
    Regards,
    Stogy

13. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

Best wishes to Shirley in this fight. She always been a fighter.

14. image.jpg image.jpg She is my hero... I got to spend time with her in pomona in her trailer and all. I look at this piston and rod all the time wishing I could feel what 3.19 mph feels like. My heart and prayers go out to her and her family. SHE is a fighter that's why she made it in the Nhra. And whooped ass. I hope she has a great recovery.

volvobrynk, 57 300 and Dog_Patch like this.
  15. Prayers sent to Shirley and family. Stay strong.

16. das858

das858

Best wishes for Shirley, I was fortunate enough to see her race many times , between 1978 and 1988 at Indy, even got to talk to her at the northstar nationals in 1983. No one is tougher than Shirley.

17. The37Kid

The37Kid

Prayers and best wishes for a full and fast recovery. Bob

18. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Speedy get well Shirley ..

19. What Chuck said, saw the great lady race at the Indy Nationals.

20. Hope she comes out of it a winner like always.

21. loudbang

loudbang

Great lady and easy to talk to in the old days with the dragster at Lebanon valley NY where she was just another driver in the pits between rounds. Hope for the best for you Shirley.

22. LostBoy

LostBoy

Fuck cancer. Why are we still trying to figure out one of the most renown killers on the planet? Anyway, as a kid I met Shirley a few times at englishtown. Very nice lady. I am always happy when a women steps up and does what others think only men can do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    www.lostboysatomicgarage.com

23. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

That is an ignorant and hateful statement. I don't smoke and had the same procedure Dec 30. I am still tying to fully recover from the surgery and only time will tell what happens. Blaming Shirley without knowing anything about her situation, is mean. I think you own an apology to Shirley and to me.

24. belair

belair

Praying for you, Shirley.

25. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Bump your mag two degrees and use nitro straight out of the freezer...you'll beat this!
    Prayers and best wishes.
    Bruce

26. Obviously a smoker....
    image.jpg
    But that's not the point!
    Hoping for a successful recovery.

27. bondolero

bondolero

Prayers for her, a pioneer in drag racing for sure.

28. Larry W

Larry W
    from kansas

you can win this race too !!!

29. All the best Shirley! Praying for complete recovery....

30. HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM

HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM
    from Ojai,Ca

Seems like a lot of racers using Nitro wound up with lung cancer.