Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Shipping the coupe to Europe for a month

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wex65, Aug 12, 2015.

  1. wex65
    Joined: Dec 19, 2012
    Posts: 1,102

    from WV

    So I have this crazy idea for next year which involves bringing the coupe over to Europe for a month or so. Might be looking to attend some shows in England and Sweden.

    Has anyone done this and have any suggestions re insurance etc?

    I have shipped cars back to England years ago when I lived there so am fairly familiar with the shipping aspect ( it would be containerized) but not had to worry about multi country insurance.

    I would need insurance to cover a drive the UK through potentially several countries.

    I know it is a long shot but figure some of the EU based HAMBers might know of something.
    lothiandon1940 likes this.
  2. I would certainly check with your current carrier and see if they wanted you to add any kind of riders to the policy. I've heard of some of those Aussie folks shipping cars over here for touring around the states for a while, then shipping them back. Hopefully they will see this and be able to shed some light. Good luck, sounds like it would be a blast.
  3. Limey Kid
    Joined: Mar 5, 2006
    Posts: 1,024

    Limey Kid

    Sorry, I can't help, but I will be following closely as I am planning to ship my coupe for Pendine and bring it back afterwards. So keep us informed .
  4. Check with Martin at tmfcracing here on the hamb. He owns the '32 burgundy/cream coupe from Sweden. Outside chance He could help. Tim
    lothiandon1940 likes this.

  5. I dunno Wex...... I'd be axin' my insurance provider/carrier these questions LOOOONNGGG before I axed a bunch of yay-hooo's on the H.A.M.B. ( NO offense to H.A.M.B. yay-hooo's :wink: )
  6. clem
    Joined: Dec 20, 2006
    Posts: 3,511


    Surely your current insurance company would cover all aspects of the insurance !
  7. I did it 30+ years ago with an ot van . It was very easy to buy an insurance policy and you got like a passport for your car. The car had to be insured and registered in your home country . I went all the way to Timbuktu in a home built 4wd. You can get an international drivers lic. from AAA and I think I might have got the ins. thru them also.
    lothiandon1940 likes this.
  8. gnichols
    Joined: Mar 6, 2008
    Posts: 11,045

    from Tampa, FL

    WTF? You'd be cancelling your insurance before you cancelled your hamb membership? Axin is not asking. Axin is AXEing, hitting something with the cutting edege of an AXE. So, it is possible to hip and sound like a dumb ass at the same time?

    More to the point, I'd like to know more, too. Sub'd. Gary
    Speedy Canuck likes this.
  9. You might try posting your question on the Model T ( forum. Some of the "T" guys have done it in the past. Unfortunately the Model A national clubs don't have forums so I would try a post on

    Charlie Stephens
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2015
  10. roughneck424
    Joined: Jan 10, 2009
    Posts: 1,084


    I'd like to axe what's Sub'd?
  11. The37Kid
    Joined: Apr 30, 2004
    Posts: 28,545


    I'd trust a HAMB opinion from someone that has done this over some insurance guy. Bob
    RICH B likes this.
  12. dr_gonzo
    Joined: Jan 21, 2015
    Posts: 5



    Call berlin motors at miami:

    I think he can help you and will have a answer of any your question.
    I used bm for shipping my car from fredericksburg to germany

  13. Helge71
    Joined: Nov 30, 2012
    Posts: 114


    In Germany we have an insurance company called "TourInsure" specialising in this kind of things (travelling with your car to areas outside the coverage of your normal car insurance. They have and English language homepage, so they might be of some assistance to you...:

    wex65 likes this.
  14. mgtstumpy
    Joined: Jul 20, 2006
    Posts: 9,007


    A Carnet de passages en douane (CPDs) is essential for the temporary importation of vehicles into African, Asian, Middle East and South American countries and New Zealand. It is not required for cars, camper vans and motorcycles entering all countries in Europe or North America for touring purposes.
  15. nunattax
    Joined: Jan 10, 2011
    Posts: 2,772

    from IRELAND

    should find that when you get insurance in one EU state you will be covered in them all.
    lothiandon1940 likes this.
  16. wex65
    Joined: Dec 19, 2012
    Posts: 1,102

    from WV

    I would have thought that US insurance companies would be unlikely to help apropos insurance in Europe. I will ring them this morning though to see what they say, it is a logical step to be sure.

    However, and this is the key point of the HAMB for me...I asked in here as people that have done it before will probably have input WAY above and beyond what I can get from a single insurance co. If I ring Hagerty they might tell me yes, we can do it, it will cost $700 for a month. They wont tell me what is possible, they will tell me what is possible with THEM.

    Someone on here might be able to tell me, forget your US insurer and ring ACME in UK who will insure an incoming car for $200/month.

    I will update as and when I find something out. Looking at the Hagerty website they seem to lean towards coverage for "approved classic car events" as opposed to driving through Europe.

    I will check out the contacts above, thanks. Also, @nunattax unless things have massively changed from when I was living in Dublin, insurance policies are/were country specific. My insurance back in Ireland could cover me for a trip to the UK if I informed them I was going but to get it to cover farther afield was a pain. Also, those policies are for residents, not visiting tourists which I am now considered...
    clem and lothiandon1940 like this.
  17. Happydaze
    Joined: Aug 21, 2009
    Posts: 1,215


    I've done this but in reverse from the UK back in 2005. Car is still in the US though, but that's not relevant!

    You could check out the UK NSRA (no laughing in the back please) which has an insurance scheme. It's a proper members club, not a corporation. See and follow your nose. Annual membership is £30 / $45 and i pay about $375 for a car with agreed value of $60k for coverage for a whole year. I'd forget trying to get a months coverage though, and for that kind of money i don't think it's an issue. That coverage i believe is good throughout Europe also. The only issue i can possibly forsee is that it's not a UK registered car and also possibly that you presumably don't have a UK driving license, but i'm hopefully wrong on that. You'll need a UK mailing address which can easily be resolved. You can call the insurance agent direct to discuss if you like (Darren at Classicline -number on website) to see if this is a runner. I'm happy to make that call if you wish, let me know. Oh, and you'll need an official NSRA valuation which is a simple, no cost exercise but June / July is a difficult time to do it as the helpful chap that does it is busy and always goes on a big road trip around then.

    So hopefully you've now at least got an option. I'd suggest that unless you have great contacts in other parts of Europe you look to ship into the UK - if only due to language!

    Any help / suggestions with itinerary or other matters don't hesitate to ask.

  18. I know it's not exactly what you are trying to do, but I recently shipped my car from the U.S. to Australia, insurance companies in Oz would not insure it until it landed here. I had to get transit insurance whilst it was on the ocean. I later found that it did not cover 'minor dents and scratches'. Ridiculous, ask lots of questions and read the fine print.
  19. wex65
    Joined: Dec 19, 2012
    Posts: 1,102

    from WV

    From experience (I shipped like 8-10 vehicles from US to Ireland/UK) I would NEVER do ro-ro (roll on, roll off) and always put it in a container. Who knows, if others are contemplating EU shows next year maybe we can get a 40' container and put three in there...

    Thanks again for all the insurance suggestions. The suggestion from @Helge71 looks to be a solid one. I am emailing them this morning. The NSRA UK angle is interesting too although not being UK licensed or with a UK license might be an issue.
    lothiandon1940 likes this.
  20. I would find out how long it will take to have your coupe shipped over so you can plan around it. I sold 8 cars to a guys in Sweden a while back and it took 7 months before he got them!
  21. wex65
    Joined: Dec 19, 2012
    Posts: 1,102

    from WV

    They must have gone by kayak or canoe!

    That was just daft. A car gets to the EU, door to door in a more

Share This Page

Register now to get rid of these ads!


Copyright © 1995-2021 The Jalopy Journal: Steal our stuff, we'll kick your teeth in. Terms of Service. Privacy Policy.

Atomic Industry
Forum software by XenForo™ ©2010-2014 XenForo Ltd.