Register now to get rid of these ads!

Shipping cost $$$$$$ "nuts"!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by king of the mercs, May 12, 2011.

1. king of the mercs

king of the mercs

delete

Last edited: Aug 11, 2011
  2. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

Yup.
    I sent a couple of boxes I made out. The shipping is $18 on a box that could sell for no more than $35 shipped. Ouch. Swap meets are the only way now.

3. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Ill tell you a good story,,,,,,,,,One time I sold a set of 29 ford fenders,I had to drive to Jersey and pick them up 20 in gas ,Listed them for sale and sold them for 45.00 + 35.00 in shipping ,Made a crate post office price was over 100 Fed ex was 75.00 ...Now I dont ship or sell big Items.......By the way I shipped the fenders

Last edited: May 12, 2011
  4. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

how can you say Fedex is out of control when the price of diesel is over $4 a gallon in most places? what would you do if you owned a nationwide fleet of trucks? Lower your prices?

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If the box the item goes in fits certain measurments and weighs under 100 lbs Greyhound isn't that expensive. I shipped 51 Mercury coupe door to New Jersey for about 70.00. I didn't get a lot out of the door as it did need a bit of work but the buyer got his door for under 100 total. I think he had it in less than four days too.

6. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

These companies should wear ski masks when taking your money

7. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Greyhound sounds like a good idea If you live near a depot.I dont ,So wont work for me.I dont blame anyone for not shipping big items ,A deal I backed out of 32 shell selling to australia ,Used postage price calculator and there size has to be 108 girth other countries are 116 ,Anyway they wanted 216 to ship,I refunded the guys money and pissed him off ,Only to sell the shell ,Here at the hamb ,next day same price and cheaper to ship......Usually if you figure to germany your alright with the calculator ,But australia has a different girth...........

8. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Get to know Greyhound. Has worked well for me. Don't need to even spend time and money to wrap most stuff up. Just write the address info right on the item and give it to them.

9. Fuel prices are just one thing that drives the price of shipping, boys and girls. They own fleets of trucks and tractor-trailer rigs. Do you think these things simply appear? They have to pay fuel, drivers, insurance, registration, taxes (and lots of taxes, in multiple states!), tolls, maintenance...WTF? Yeah, sure, shipping is expensive. And it does not help that companies low-ball the freight charges with businesses that ship a LOT in order to get business. They are interested primarily in regularly scheduled bulk shipments, NOT someone's fenders, hood, or whatever one-time shipment. They LIKE to discourage individual shipments, because there is little money these days to start with, and dealing with "the little guy" makes little to NO money for the shippers.

I am by no means defending the shippers, but you have to look at both sides of the deal here.

10. RG49MERC

RG49MERC
    BANNED

Hahaha..that's funny..I felt like i was getting robbed when I shipped a gas tank through UPS..they came up with some "oversize charge" BS..which is $50..but when I used the UPS site to calculate The postage it didn't mention nothing about a oversize charge..I will never us them again

11. brad chevy

brad chevy

Sent a set 4 15 inch GTO ralley wheels from Fla. to Washington state with Fed-ex costs a total of $140,shit I can"t even drive to Alabama for $140 in gas so I personally can"t bitch.

12. Weasel

Weasel

Yep Greyhound tlc on my industrial strength packaged NORS fenders - never got a penny back in insurance from them - they still owe me $2k. The most expensive shipping I ever had - bunch of dishonest thieves....

Before Greyhound:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After Greyhound's TLC:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

Weasel that's some seriously f$&ked shipping . I can't... Well I can believe that they did that . The other fender would have had the same dents in it after I beat the shit out of the delivery guy, with it when I saw him again

14. poofus1929

poofus1929
    from So Cal

The cheap gas aka 87 octane is $4.17 a gallon here in so cal.

15. RG49MERC

RG49MERC
    BANNED

Same shit happens to me..bought a set of cherry fenders for my shoebox..got them shipped through greyhound..when I got home and open them up one had a huge dent..I didnt complain about since I didn't want to drive 30mins back the greyhound depot..

16. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Dude thats horrible .Why do we purchase insurance If they dont make good on it .Fed ex owes me 100 post office owes me 40 from 2 years ago,I gave up ............

17. woodywagon1965r

woodywagon1965r

it seems like a lot but fuel here topped at 141.9 a liter for 87 160.9 for 94
    had stuff shipped by ups ...we call the oops smashed all to hell :eek: and wouldnt pay insurance unless i sent items back to point of sale so i wouldnt get to keep the parts and fix them either
    kept parts and cursed all the way back to my truck swear never to use them again

18. blackrat40

blackrat40
    Member Emeritus

On the other hand...I had a trunk lid for a classic Cad Allante
    shipped from California to a small town North of Dallas,TX.
    last month on Greyhound for $275 price including shipping.
    The seller packed it pretty well with some Styrofoam chunks
    and wrapped in 2 layers of ordinary corrugated brown cardboard. No wooden crating.
    They lost it once but that was because the local small town
    terminal had closed. It arrived in good shape after 6 days.
    All and all, a pretty good deal! I was lucky maybe?

19. One other thing to keep in mind besides Greyhound. If you ship via UPS or Fedex to a business address it is considerably cheaper (almost 1/3). Just another option. Todd

20. mixedupamx

mixedupamx

personally have had good luck with Greyhound in the the past both shipping and recieving. I have passed on so many good priced items lately due to the outragous shipping charges, guess thats good though-more money in the bank.

21. plan9

plan9

greyhound should be reserved for rusty junk you plan on cutting up... they suck for anything nice. i have shipped with every major carrier, including greyhound.

22. swissmike

swissmike

Sometimes USPS is much cheaper than UPS and the likes. Just got a set of 40 Merc bumpers shipped for a whopping $18!

23. I shipped a pair of 60 Caddilac door panels from Northern Ontario to Chattanooga Tennesse. $103.00 and they were there in 26 hours through Purolator. Surprised the hell out of me and the buyer!

24. big bad john

big bad john

....I only do swap meets for buying and selling.........I want the people buying my products to look them over and be happy with their purchase...and the same when I'am buying........When I buy new parts I only deal with a company that would stand behind thier products if shipping or damage occur....by the way...shipping problems is why I stop selling on line.....

25. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

If you don't want to deal with shipping, you can always drive to where the parts are and pick them up yourself. :rolleyes:

If the part is more then 100 miles from home, shipping is usually cheaper then driving there to pick something up. Gene

26. McFly

McFly

Never write "Fragile" on your boxes...its code for kick the shit out of it. Straight from our UPS driver's mouth.

27. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

I was told by my local Greyhound people that they actually prefer things like fenders, etc. to NOT be wrapped up because that way they can see exactly what it is and see how to take better care of it. If it is all wrapped up they assume it is safe to rough it up I guess. worked ok for me the few times I have used them. Neither parts had so much as a scratch as far as I could tell.

On the flip side, I had some pretty rare and pricey parts sent via insured Fed Ex that got busted up some and I could immediately tell it was because they weren't boxed up very well and have very little packing inside the box. When I contacted Fed Ex, they said they needed to send a person back to inspect the original packing before they would possibly settle on the claim. I knew right there I was dead in the water and now it was between me and the seller and I knew there was also very little chance of getting any money back from the seller. So much for insurance, just a waste if you aren't even going to package it enough to protect it from the gorillas.

28. caseyscustoms

caseyscustoms
    BANNED
    from st.joe, MO

i do alot of ebay shit, and ship proly 5-10 things a week.

i shipped a door through greyhound and it got so fucked up you couldnt believe. i didnt even think somebody could ruin a fullsize door. no money back, and they didnt even try to help out.

that was my first and last time i shipped with greyhound.

29. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

Ahah! you guys think you have it bad?
    Heres a run down list of shipping costs for me:

Pack of fittings, say10. 30$ USPS - 90$ or 200$ UPS
    2 air bags. 60$ USPS - 200$ UPS
    a small 2 gallon air tank- 60$ USPS - 200$ UPS
    Mustang gas tank - 125$ USPS - 250$ UPS

and then the best of all, a wheel will cost me 140$ w/ USPS, so a set of 4 is 560$ to ship, plus the costy of the wheel.
    a set of tires will cost me 280$ w/ USPS.....

I could go on forever....i live in italy, but the rest of EU is on the same boat.

30. 33-Chevy

33-Chevy

I have shipped large body parts by Amtrak Express. They are reasonable and never ruined anything I sent. You have to take the part to an Amtrak Station and the person you are sending it to has to be near an Amtrak Station.