Register now to get rid of these ads!

Shipping an engine+transmission

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DeluxeGal, May 6, 2008.

1. DeluxeGal

DeluxeGal
    from Vagabond

I'm looking into getting a '55 engine and PG transmission shipped from Tempe, AZ to Wes Des Moines, IA (50265).

The member selling it is actually a fellow HAMB member, who is willing to ship, but doesn't have a way to get it to a dock, so it has to be shipped door to door ($$$$ouch$$$$)

Has anyone out there done this before and/or have any suggestions of carriers to go through. I'm unsure of the weight and I'm thinking it will have to be shipped on 2 pallets (?) I did read some other posts, but the ones I found were about shipping engines only.. and I know that heavy powerglide is going to add an extra weight and cost.

Maybe it would be more cost-effective to get some free pallets across the road, rent a truck, and take a road trip to AZ?

If anyone has any similar experiences or suggestions for me I'd really appreciate it! :)

-Marissa

2. vegas paul

vegas paul
    from salina, ks

I had a transmission for my Studebaker shipped from Indiana to Las Vegas... $45! By Greyhound! Yep, the seller built a pallet, wrapped it in bubblewrap and cling wrap and a whole bunch of tape, and took it to the depot, 6 days later I get a call to come downtown and pick it up from the Greyhound bus station. Not even a scratch on the tape or plastic. Cool.

3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Greyhounds limit is 100 lbs though.

If the pickup spot is a business they may not charge you extra but if it is at someone's house it may be hard to get a freight company to do a pickup.

Good pallets aren't that hard to find but I would want both shipped in a crate/crates if it was me. figure about 700 pounds on the engine and 300 pounds on the trans.

Check with your local freight companies and see if they have contacts in that area and go from there. You could save some on your end by picking it up at the terminal.

4. ryno

ryno

i may be able to haul this for you but the problem is i wont know untill mid june. if that may work for you shoot me a pm closer to that date.

5. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Overnite has door to door as dose Yellow and most freight lines. But Overnite has a lift gate. Most don't. PS it's not really Overnite unless your really close.

6. Wildfire

Wildfire

Try www.freight101.com Call them, you'll get a better deal. The quoted me from East TN to NW AR $170 with liftgate on the pickup end. All you gotta do is put it on a pallet.

7. DeluxeGal

DeluxeGal
    from Vagabond

Thanks for all the information, another question, does anyone know what the freight class number(s) would be?

8. DeucePhaeton

DeucePhaeton

By far the best way is getting someone else to haul it for you. (see post above)

I bought a 324 Olds off Ebay a few years back and the guy crated it for me. I found a courier in his area to pick it at his door. (needed a lift gate) Took it to the airport and dropped it at Forward Air. They brought it to Detroit Metro Airport area and they put it in my Pickup.
    Totalled about $375.00 for all it that.

Like I said............C paragraph 1...

9. Glen

Glen

If he can drop it at the Phoenix yard and ship it to a place in your home town that has a fork lift it wont be that much. (IE work....)
    When you send a truck with a forklift on both ends it gets expensive.

I shipped a 324 to Sweden in december using Yellow freight. I dropped it at the phoenix yard on a saturday.

10. skajaquada

skajaquada
    from SLC Utard

www.uship.com

post item, to and from and carriers bid on the lowest price :D

$150 for a cadillac flathead to come almost 900 miles to me. that's a big chunk of metal ;)

11. The truck doing the pick up would only need a lift gate. The driver would use a pallet jack to move the pallets onto the lift gate.

12. A private party might be able to give good value, if you have time. I'm sure there are others, but we used BenD, as others have, and he came through. Might help in your negotiations if you offer to put him up a night.

13. evol55

evol55

I work for Old Dominion Freight Line and we have docks in both cities you are talking about. We do lift gate service also. I dont know quotes for you right now but if you go to www.odfl.com you might find one there.

14. DeluxeGal

DeluxeGal
    from Vagabond

Thanks again for all the responses and help - the information just keeps getting better! I'm looking into a few different places (whenever downtime at work allows).

Now if I can figure this all out and get an affordable rate before he sells the engine to someone else, we'll be set! haha :)