Register now to get rid of these ads!

Shipping a vehicle cross country

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Big T, Sep 18, 2006.

1. Big T

Big T
    from Florida

Have any of you fine folks ever used/heard of Silva shipping? DAS shipping? Silva has much better prices but I would like to hear from any of you who have used either to ship a vehicle. Also, feel free to share about open trailer versus enclosed, etc. :confused: I am buying a running vehicle and would love to hear anyone's thoughts on the matter.

Big T

2. catman

catman
    from El Reno

I shipped a 57 from OK. to PA. with DAS, car arrived in good cond. but it took TWO WEEKS !! unless they moved PA. that's too long, enclosed is the way to go...

3. displaced_kiwi

displaced_kiwi
    from Olathe KS

I used DAS 2 years ago to ship a running car from SoCal to St Louis. About the estimated delivery date we checked their internet tracking which showed the car to be 5 hours out of St Louis, a week later still the same. We called and said we wanted the car and would go get it ourselves, they said no can do. Car turns up a couple of weeks later and the truck driver told us the original truck driver left the trailer with cars somewhere in the middle of the trip and quit. Thats what the hold up was and why we got the run around. Kinda freaked me out but the car did arrive in the same condition it left in.

You didnt mention it, but being a Hamber you have heard of BenD I assume ?

Not sure if that helps, but thats my 2 cents.

4. Paul2748

Paul2748

I used a company called DeMoise Trucking. They were cheaper than most, closed trailer and very fast delivery. And they don't collect until you get the car. A1 in my book.

5. dragrcr50

dragrcr50

i had a lowrider 72 blazer two wheel drive shipped from kentucky to oklahoma and it got here in 6 weeks , has 97 more miles on it than when it was loaded, covered in mud and the rear bumper torn off and in the inside on the nice seats all muddy, i complained and never got anything but the run around and they were way higher than anyone i have used since i have had 200 cars shipped since with no problems with D&G trucking out of winnsborough texas . or black stallion out of rhode island..........

6. We shipped a pair of cars from NY to California using a company called Kiwi Carriers. They were tons cheaper than anyone else, and sent one guy who took both cars door to door, one to northern California, one to San Diego.

But, the first car on at some unknown point picked up some damage to the lower front fender. Or maybe the bolt head was rotted and fell off, I know the trip was rough on the car and it turned out to be rotted more badly than it looked. The new owners decided to deal with it, the fender had some rot in it anyways.

The nice thing is they hauled cars that were dead and the one was a parts-only POS that was so bad I sawed the whole back clip off it so it wouldn't fall off.

7. 3bytheknee

3bytheknee
    from Sonora, CA

Ben DeLozier, Ben D on the HAMB, is a first class car mover. I used him to move a truck from TX to CA. He was reasonable, and on time as promised. I highly recommend him.

The email address for BenD is [email protected]

8. 8mpg

8mpg
    from Texas

The problem with the big trucking lines is they only pickup when they are in the area. Normal times for shipping a car range from 2weeks to a month. My buddy owns a car dealership and that is the reason they have hot shot drivers pick up all their cars. Cost them twice as much but there isnt a wait. Big companies pick up cars when they have a truck in the area and it sits around in their terminals until they have a truck headed your way. They cannot make a profit charing $500-600 shipping a car cross country with diesel prices the way they are just for 1 or 2 cars.

I recommend Allied Van Lines. I have shipped a motorcycle with them and it was here in less than a week. VA to TX and cost was decent. They handled most of the Dodge Vipers that came to the national viper meet here in Grapevine and from what I heard, no mishaps. They had about 12 trailers of cars

9. sprbxr

sprbxr
    from Peaks, VA

I sold my 51 Plymouth Wagon to a guy in CAli. I delivered the car to the terminal which is 5 miles from my house with no damage. The car fell off the top of the truck front first and totaled it within a mile of the terminal. The guy who bought it is still trying to get a decent settlement from DAS. It has been 4.5 months since this has happened. Meanwhile, the guy has no car and no money. DAS wanted me to illegally jump titles and pay me a settlement then give the guy I sold it to the money. I said no b/c the seller wouldn't be in the chain of ownership if he needed to sue the shipping company which he is getting ready to do. Moral of this story: Don't use DAS and pick up the car yourself.

Justin

Attached Files:

10. synthsis

synthsis

holy crap about the 51 ply wagon, I almost bought that from you but couldn't come up with all the loot. sux. hope it all turns out well, if it goes much longer I'd get a lawyer involved just as a CYA move. check out Horseless Carriage, they transport for most Ferrari and Lambo guys.

11. TxRat

TxRat

BenD.

Nuff said....