Register now to get rid of these ads!

shipping a motor ?'s

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 48olds, Apr 13, 2010.

1. 48olds

48olds

whats up everyone. need some help from the hamb. im trying to find out what i need to do to have an engine & tranny shipped from florida to cali. any reputable companies that any one has used. and if any one has an idea how much it'll cost. any ideas i would greatly appreciate it thanks in advance.
    alex:D

2. 48olds

48olds

bttt. any advice i would greatly appreciate. thanks again

3. Billet

Billet

Crickets.... I'll try...
    There are guys on the HAMB that ship cars some may handle parts but its a drag to load.
    Next to consider is if you have a trucking company near by at both ends. Delivering and picking up at the terminals will save money... Trucking companies don't like to screw around with residential areas. Next know the weight and dimensions of your parts. You might have to remove the transmission to fit a pallet. The more information you have concerning your shipment the easier it'll be on you. Check your area for trucking terminals then ask them the best/cheap way to handle the shipment.

Good luck

4. 1930roadster

1930roadster

i got a pallet, 2x4s and mdf wood... boxed it and strapped it down with tie downs. any trucking company will take it. Its up to you to create it well. Charged material to buyer but not my time. shipping from FL to NY was about $250

5. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Good advice in above posts...........would add only that you need to secure well things like air filter housing, if any, or other potentially lose items. You might get the tranny on the same pallet by reversing it front to rear. Last engine I shipped, a flathead, I was fortunate enough to have a friend in a local plant that "banded" the engine to the pallet (that thin metal strapping you see on shipped equipment) and I did deliver to the local terminal.........they really like that unless you are shipping from a dock or have a forklift. Might also consider wrapping engine trans in plastic sheeting to keep dry.

Ray

6. nutajunka

nutajunka

Keep checking the ads for someone going that way, thats what I do.

7. drfreeze

drfreeze

We'll i could tell you I've done this a couple of times with good results . you could take pics and dimensions and post it on uship.com and shippers bid for your work. the second option was to use http://www.engineshipping.com/ they were reasonable (complete land rover motor from CA to NY $225 last week!) and door to door service lift gate provided and everything , they also will bid on uship that's how i found them . good luck

8. i had my 325 hemi shipped out of the hills of PA, read that as very remote...so remote the usps would not do next day delivery for payment....Carl at Black Mountain Hemi set it on a pallet ..bolted 4 chains to the motor at the 4 corners and lag screwed them into the oak pallet..no cover over it or anything else..here's a pic with the chains still hangin off the motor and the rear ones still on the pallet...might want to top cover it to go all the way to cali...

hemi 2.jpg

.cost $120..i had it shipped to the TA i work at, due to it being way cheaper to shipp if there is a fork lift at each end..and also as stated, they hate going into res..areas...i used u-ship.com...problem is with u-ship, you'll get quotes from guys with pickup trucks and horse trailers...i used this guy,

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=520><TBODY><TR><TD width=520 align=left><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=349><TBODY><TR><TD width=15></TD><TD style="LINE-HEIGHT: 17px; FONT-FAMILY: tahoma, geneva, sans-serif; FONT-SIZE: 12px" width=124>Service Provider:</TD><TD style="LINE-HEIGHT: 17px; FONT-FAMILY: tahoma, geneva, sans-serif; FONT-SIZE: 12px" width=210>S3Logistics (3)</TD></TR><TR><TD width=15></TD><TD style="LINE-HEIGHT: 17px; FONT-FAMILY: tahoma, geneva, sans-serif; FONT-SIZE: 12px" width=124>Name:</TD><TD style="LINE-HEIGHT: 17px; FONT-FAMILY: tahoma, geneva, sans-serif; FONT-SIZE: 12px" width=210>Mike Bergfeld</TD></TR><TR><TD width=15></TD><TD style="LINE-HEIGHT: 17px; FONT-FAMILY: tahoma, geneva, sans-serif; FONT-SIZE: 12px" width=124>Phone:</TD><TD style="LINE-HEIGHT: 17px; FONT-FAMILY: tahoma, geneva, sans-serif; FONT-SIZE: 12px" width=210>(913) 905-5209</TD></TR><TR><TD width=15></TD><TD style="LINE-HEIGHT: 17px; FONT-FAMILY: tahoma, geneva, sans-serif; FONT-SIZE: 12px" width=124>Alternate Phone:</TD><TD style="LINE-HEIGHT: 17px; FONT-FAMILY: tahoma, geneva, sans-serif; FONT-SIZE: 12px" width=210>(816) 645-5654</TD></TR><TR><TD width=15></TD><TD style="LINE-HEIGHT: 17px; FONT-FAMILY: tahoma, geneva, sans-serif; FONT-SIZE: 12px" width=124>Email address:</TD><TD style="LINE-HEIGHT: 17px; FONT-FAMILY: tahoma, geneva, sans-serif; FONT-SIZE: 12px" width=210>[email protected]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR height=5><TD height=5>[​IMG]</TD></TR><TR><TD><TABLE style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #eef7ec" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=520><TBODY><TR><TD align=middle></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

,,Mike was very propper and right on top of it from the get go..ya, he's just a broker, but he told me who it was that was actually hauling it, and it was a national trucking firm,,,it arrived totally naked on the pallet, and i looked at the driver and said, man i hope it didn't get beat up..he told me everyone was tripping seeing the vintage hemi..and they were all proud to make sure it made the trip safely...

9. Weldemup

Weldemup
    from Central,NY

I've had motors shipped to me in a 55 gallon steel drum...you can usually move the drum around even if you don't have a drum dolly by rolling it on it's edge.

10. 48olds

48olds

thanks for the advice guys. i really appreciate the help. i pretty much scored a free motor and tranny. so hopefully i can have this motor/tranny shipped soon. once again thanks for the help:D