Register now to get rid of these ads!

Shimming a starter?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MarkKoch, Aug 8, 2010.

1. ooops

Last edited: Sep 21, 2010
  2. MarkKoch

MarkKoch
    from Maryland

I checked today to see if the starter gear was meshed/stuck to the fly wheel and it wasnt.......but I did see that one tooth is completely missing on the flywheel!I have started up the truck about a dozen times and it keeps missing that gap on the flywheel and no grinding noise-looks like I will be saving for a new flywheel...-Borntoloze thanks for your help and time,I really appreciate it-I was able to finally find what the starter is for by means of looking the part number up on e-bay-its for a 89 1500 4.3 flywheel- thanks again for all who helped-new fly wheel/another new starter and the proper brackets and I should be set

3. ooops

Last edited: Sep 21, 2010
  4. Someone might have already mentioned this but it probably wouldn't hurt to get a look at the starter ring on the flexplate/flywheel. I've seen a ton of them over the years that the starter ring is butched. Usually not all the way around which would explain your sometimes thing.

5. Mark, do you have a high torque starter? You can identify a high torque starter by there being a spacer, approx. 3/4" long maybe 3/16" diameter between the small bolt that attatches the solenoid to the field coils coming out of the starter case or housing. It will be the post just beneath the battery positive cable post. All the other advice given is spot on regarding the knurled bolts, and the support bracket, etc. Sadly sometimes it takes a few starters at the auto store to get a good one. If you have a " auto-electric " shop in the area, that specializes in starters and generators and alternators, try one of thier rebuilt units you might have better luck.