Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Shifters in 60's customs

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Philbilly, Mar 7, 2010.

1. Philbilly

Philbilly

I was wondering what kind of shifters is typica for 60's style customs? Is it just on the column with a cool shift knob or is it floor mounted? Show pics if you got em.

2. 51 mercules

51 mercules

Here's the one that's in my 51 Merc,that was probably installed in the 60's.

Attached Files:

3. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

gotta be more specific early,,mid,,late ,,There were all kinds of shifters back then

and what kinda Custom ?? T buckets and the like,,sleds etc

at one point i think many custom showy kinda cars kept things on teh column,,cause you stared to see things like bucket seats and consoles and such

4. screwball

screwball

I think he means 60s body style customs or bellflower customs

5. Philbilly

Philbilly

I was talking about early 60's customs or bellflower style. My bad for leaving that part out.

6. bentwings

bentwings

Probably one of the best shifters of the early 60's was the GM one used on the T-10 4 spd's. The sedan ones had a 'V" bend in them that put the ball over seat. The Vette ones were straight and shorter. Pont had both depending on consol or not.

I used one on my 57 chev 283 hp FI with a 4 spd. It worked great...as long as you made nice clean shifts and did not hit the end of travel. If you did it would break the selector pin. This was originally a 1/4 in roll pin. We quickly replaced it with a dowel pin. It helped but you could still easily shear it off. A reamer blank helped even more but it still broke if you hamb fisted a shift.

I replaced it with a Hurst 4 sp linkage when they were available. The GM sat on the shelf for a long time before i sold it for some rediculous amount.

A friends dad helped me modify one into use on a selector Pont 3 speed. It worked great too but suffered the same problems.