Register now to get rid of these ads!

Shifter swap

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 50styleline, Mar 27, 2013.

1. 50styleline

50styleline

I am putting a 250/200r4 into my 50 styleline. A friend is donating a shifter out of a 77 Camaro till I can afford the 23" Lokar that I really want. Does anyone that this will not work or why I shouldn't do this? I know it's probably a bit of fab work but I have more time than money.

2. Okatoma cruiser

Okatoma cruiser
    from Ms

You can make it work - just make sure you get the cable that hooks to carb ( tv?) adjusted right or it'll fry the clutches real quick-

3. chubbie

chubbie

quess is the '77shifter mounts to the body, not the trans. so you'll have to make a mounting braket. Next problem the 200 4R doesn't have a removable tail section so you dont have bolts to use to locate the shifter. set up the detents from the top down, you cant access low gear, but it will work.

The lokar shifter is not a retro style shifter in my opinion:confused: the B&M shifter than resembles the early hurst shifter is a better choice. if you want a different lever on it drill a couple of holes on it and cut the lever off!

4. SASROD

SASROD

I put one in my old truck with a TH350 about 10 years ago. It mounts to the floor with 4 bolts and has one hole for the cable. I think I used a cable off of a hurst shiter. You will need a bracket at the pan to mount the cable there and a shift arm on the trans. It's a little low and kinda ugly but it works.

Attached Files:

5. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

Bingo.

6. you should be able to make it work , but you may not be able to put it in 1st. i believe your shifter is for a 3 speed and the 200r4 is a 4 speed

i don't see that as a big deal as a temporary thing

7. SASROD

SASROD

Hey at least I admitted it!:)

8. 50styleline

50styleline

Yeah, I know it's an eyesore but I just need something temporary so the car is driveable. Thanks to all for the input.

9. birdman42

birdman42

I used a Mr Gasket universal shifter.It kind of has an old school look can be easily modified.The best part it was about $50.00.

10. 50styleline

50styleline

Birdman, where did you find one for that price? Thanks. J.J.

11. birdman42

birdman42

O'rielly auto parts.I had to have the counter man to get the paper catalog out and look it up myself.