Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Shifter + Linkage Identification? Ford '65 Ranchero / Galaxy?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Byers, Mar 18, 2015.

1. Byers

Byers

I've got this shifter linkage I found this past weekend off of a T-10 Transmission. It's a Ford. I think it's for a 1965 Ford Ranchero / Galaxy. Does that look right to you?

Here's some pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Any info and I'll be sure to give you a 'LIKE' on your comment. Thank you for your time!!!

- Mike

2. Byers

Byers

Is it a Top Loader?

3. Loos like what was on my Falcon. HRP

Byers likes this.
  4. Byers

Byers

Was just told by my dad it's definitely not a Top Loader. It came off a Borg Warner T-10

5. Correct,BW T-10. HRP

Byers likes this.
  6. Well, it's not a '65 Ranchero as they were still early-Falcon based. The various cars all used pretty much the same shifter, with variations for the different models. Ford had three mounting points on the tailshaft in those days to position the lever inside the car; directly behind the case for the '63-65 Falcon/Comet, mid-point on the tailshaft housing for the 63-65 Fairlanes, and all the way back for the Mustangs/Full size. It's definitely not a Falcon/Comet shifter as the reverse gear shift rod is only about 2" long on those. The rods look short for the Mustang/full size, so I'd say this is a Fairlane unit. The T10 and Ford toploader units used different shift rods, so if you got it off a T10, that's all it fits as-is.

Good score by the way; the early Ford shifters are more than a bit hard to find in decent condition. You can buy reproduction levers for them now, so you can have a complete unit for about another $160. Disassemble the shifter assembly and look at the 'pins' that engage the shift levers; if they are worn/rounded at all, replacing this with a piece of 1/4" diameter hardened drill rod will tighten the shifter up a bunch. Drive the old pin out, then drive a new one in. Install it 'long', then cut it to length after it's in. You want nice sharp, square-cut ends in the pins. Do a meticulous job of adjusting the linkage and these work very well...

Last edited: Mar 18, 2015
    Byers likes this.
  7. ^^^^^ What he said!!!

Byers likes this.
  8. Byers

Byers

The shifter rods... which ones control which gear(s). I'm used to working w/ Muncies and kind of new to these Borg Warner T-10's. Any info is greatly appreciated.

9. ffr1222k

ffr1222k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The long one is 3d and 4th, the middle one is 1st & 2nd, the short one is reverse.