Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Shift boot screws?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scotty t, May 19, 2020.

1. What are we using to fasten our shift boots to the floor? I’ve got an old Hurst boot, the big one with the red H on it. I’ve read where some guys use a soldering iron to melt the carpet to keep the screws from pulling threads out. But I’m not sure what type of screw would look and work right. I’ve considered installing nutserts but that seems like a lot of work for something so simple. Please post pics if you can.

loudbang likes this.
  2. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I punched a hole with ice pick and used a solder gun too. Then sheet metal screws, usually a #6 or 8. Phillips head always looked best.

loudbang and scotty t like this.
  3. soldering iron, button head phillips sheet metal screws. easy peasy....

4. I never knew about soldering iron trick until recently. Last time i drilled through the boot ring, carpet and floor for the screw but the bit caught a thread in the carpet. Maybe some stainless button head sheet metal screws.

loudbang likes this.

5. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Cut a small cross slit in the carpet at each hole location and slip short section of drinking straw into carpet then insert drill bit through straw to drill hole.

catdad49, nochop and scotty t like this.
  6. alchemy

alchemy

If the holes in the plate are countersunk I'd use a convex head countersunk screw. If not, a button head screw. But neither would be phillips screws. Slot headed only for me.

I hate pointy screws sticking out in spots that might bite me. I might investigate the nutserts too. If you can accurately locate the holes.

nochop likes this.
  7. My boot ring is a relatively thin stainless piece thats flat. I like phillips much more than slot head. I could do the nutserts before the carpet goes in, lay the plate on the floor instead of fighting the carpet. Hmmmm...

loudbang likes this.
  8. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

9. Oh yeah, that’s the one!

loudbang likes this.
  10. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Looks like the original screws are button head phillips with washers but hard to tell.

11. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Run your drill bit backwards (counter clockwise) until you're through the carpet. Then hold the bit to the floor, reverse the drill motor and drill through the metal without snagging the rug.