Register now to get rid of these ads!

Shieffer Eaton Quick Change Rear

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by independentcustoms, Oct 3, 2010.

1. One of our dragsters has a quick change in it, and for the longest time we have not been able to identify it. Finally it looks like it is a Shieffer Eaton. Does anyone know anything about these rears, or maybe can turn me on to a site that can help me out? Basically, if it breaks can we get parts, if we decide to change to a 9" is it sellable, what kind of power will it handle, etc. Thanks for any help.

2. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

These were built to replace the standard Q/C units,but then racers discovered that they weren't changing gears that often anymore and the 9" was strong-cheaper-lighter-and a large gear selection was available.
    Eveything about this rear is custom meaning that the R&P are exclusive to that design also the Q/C gears. Once in awhile they show up on ebay CHEAP.
    Changing over to a 9" is good , but the rear of the car will set higher because the lower shaft of the Q/C is down farther than the 9" pinion shaft unless you raise the motor.

3. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Would it be a SChiefer? Don't know anything about them but they were a 70s deal. Didn't stay around long as I recall, pretty oddball I suspect.

Attached Files:

4. 296ardun

296ardun

They came out in the '70s, and my recollection is that they were pretty fragile, Jerry Ruth was one fuel guy who ran one, and it completely shattered at the Springnationals at Columbus...he did not have good things to say about Scheiffer after that.