Register now to get rid of these ads!

She's almost nekid, specific rust question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Thommyknocker, Apr 13, 2010.

1. I've been working away at stripping down my 50 chevy.
    Most of it is actually very clean under the surface rust and old paint.

I ran into a few areas like this.
    It's black in color and hard as a rock. 60 grit doesn't do much to it after a while, and it's still there.

Is this a good area for a rust converter like ospho, or should I keep at it? Perhaps a bit of sand blasting would help?
    BTW the next step is epoxy primer.

Attached Files:

2. BBYBMR

BBYBMR

I believe there may be some lead in that area........

3. jon_p

jon_p

Doesn't look like lead to me, just a lot of patching. I'd suggest a wire wheel to try and get some of the pits cleaned up. if its still black, definitely go for the sandblaster. lots of curves so you shouldn't have to stress over warping the area.
    I'd be concerned about the rust converter coming back to bite you later down the road with paint. check with the epoxy manufacturer and see if they have any metal conditioner, that's as far as I would go to make sure the epoxy has a solid substrate.

jon

4. Yup, there a bit of lead in there, but not where the black pits are
    I removed enough lead to mig weld the rear window back together (Thus the patches you see).

That's my concern also, I've been doing a BUNCH of research on rust converters and what goes under epoxy. Frankly, it's a bit confusing.

This will be my second paint job, first down to metal, so I don't want to cause more problems than I have to.