Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Sheetmetal Plugs

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by brassspike, Jan 9, 2016.

1. brassspike

brassspike

I'm at the point in my project that I need to weld up a bunch of holes that will no longer be needed. What is the best way to make plugs for the holes? I can weld most of them up with brass backer but was looking for a better way. I can't seem to find anything that will punch a sheet metal blank for smaller size holes (trim etc.).
    Thanks!

2. oj

oj

Whitney punch plugs.

3. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Also Blair mini-holesaws............only use a center punch for piloting and make a nice plug for your purposes.

Ray

4. Ric Dean

Ric Dean
    from Central NY

… depending on the thickness needed I use washers then plug weld center; check with Hardware suppliers = ‘Fender Washers’ come in larger diameters. Get washers that fill the hole then butt weld; no overlap welds allowed. :)

cktasto and Hnstray like this.

5. 32v

32v
    from v.i.

I use nails , they have a handle to hold in place then grind off when done

29AVEE8, Fedcospeed and Bandit Billy like this.
  6. hotcoupe

hotcoupe

i go to a local steel yard with a piece of scrap sheet metal and they punch any size i want with their iron worker [stationary equipment]. usually for free.
    tom

7. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

And use copper not brass for a backer. The zinc boils out of brass and contaminates the weld.

Hnstray likes this.
  8. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

I think Eastwood sells a kit with multiple sized round sheet metal plugs.

9. the-rodster

the-rodster

I make plugs from bolts, unthreaded part, cut a slice out, whatever thickness you need, 1/4, 3/8, 1/2, etc.

Use a unibit to make the hole exact, the plug will fit perfectly.

Rich

Last edited: Jan 9, 2016
  10. Johnny99

Johnny99

Iron worker suggestion is spot on. Find a local sheet metal/fab shop with one, bring a hunk of sheet metal, say please/ thank you, and bring some donuts for the crew. Probably end up with all the punch slugs you want in miscellaneous sizes!

stimpy likes this.
  11. Or, just go to the sheet metal shop and find their scrap bin....BTDT
    It is so much faster though to use a copper ingot and weld them.

stimpy likes this.
  12. I think it is Bob Drake that sells a kit of hole plugs.

i.rant likes this.
  13. stimpy

stimpy

there used to be a shop that made metal wall studs , I used to go to and get them by the pound ( how they got paid for the scrap ) it was all pre galved so no poison worries. but they been gone since the crash in 08

14. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

Yeah, "Backorder Bob" Drake sell packages of sheet metal plugs. If you have a sheet metal shop in your area that has a Rotax punch they might punch out several for you in waste sheet metal. The kit that Drake sells is PN, HR-1580 , 200 pieces total of 25 pieces each from 5/16" up to 1 and 1/4".

i.rant likes this.
  15. bobbytnm

bobbytnm

16. brassspike

brassspike

WOW! You guys know your stuff!! Thanks for the help!

17. indyjps

indyjps

I got a scoop of a few different sizes from a local stamping sheetmetal shop scrap tub. $10 for basically a bucket full that will last me as long as I'm around.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2016
  18. metlmunchr

metlmunchr

Yep. Whitney #5 Junior punch available from most any HVAC/sheetmetal supply house for around $75. Comes with 7 punches and dies from 3/32 thru 9/32. Chinese and Taiwanese knockoffs of the Whitney punch kit are available for about half the money. Some are okay and others not so much but none of them compare to the real thing IMO. Once you have a Whitney punch you'll wonder how you ever got along without it in the past.

19. That's what I do, the head is the plug and the shank is the handle, the shank also acts as a heat sink and helps control warping.
    DSCN0580_460.JPG DSCN0581_461.JPG DSCN0582_462.JPG DSCN0583_463.JPG

Fedcospeed likes this.
  20. toreadorxlt

toreadorxlt
    from Nashua, NH

I just scribe s circle and cut it out with Aviation snips. quick, free, accurate

21. me too and sometimes i leave a little "handle", to keep it from falling through.

22. Like the proverbial 2 x 4 strapped across your back when entertaining ladies of questionable virtue...

TagMan and tb33anda3rd like this.