Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods sheetmetal brake

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by in the weeds, Jan 20, 2018.

1. in the weeds

in the weeds
    from Kansas

I see that baileigh,jet and grizzley all offer reversible finger brakes. Anyone know how long this design has been around. Does anybody own one of these they look to be neat as all get out. I am thinking of upgrading to one and wonderd if anybody has used one to give real life feedback. Thank

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Got my hands on a little box and pan brake about 25 years ago and all you could do with it was make little boxes and pans. It was only about 24 inches wide if that and was only for making small pieces about 3 inches deep. I ended up giving it back to the outfit I got it from. I've got a gypo brake now that won't let me do a box or pan but lets me stick longer pieces in to bend them in the middle.
    Meaning, make sure it will do what you want to do with it.

rtp likes this.
  3. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

I've been looking at this homemade item from another forum with the view to modifying it to add fingers in place of the fold blade.
    I believe it is 44 inches wide.
    Larger the better if you have the space.
    Brakes are good for putting those diagonal stiffener marks in sheet and hence width is important.

Attached Files:

4. papajohn

papajohn

5. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

I guess the other consideration is how thick material you are expecting to bend.
    I like to be able to handle 1.6mm with ease, as I would expect from a bead roller...

6. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

1.6mm = 16ga. sheetmetal for us that went to school before the new math.

doug warren and Flathead Dave like this.
  7. jtbarnet

jtbarnet

If you REALLY, want to get a fantastic break, a “Magnetic sheet metal brake”, by Baileigh, will make enclosed boxes, runs off 220....[​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Never know these days to say 16ga or 1.6mm which is really easy either way to remember the conversion.

doug warren likes this.