Register now to get rid of these ads!

sheet metal welders...WTF am I doing wrong

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by shocker998md, Jan 16, 2011.

1. sawzall

sawzall

2:11 that would be well spent..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9wLS1Ji4w4

um.. ?

I heart King Chassis..

2. Hi shocker my Lincoln sp170t is a 220 volt mig much like yours, inside the side door should give you all the answers for heat ranges and wire speed plus shows that with a solid wire/gas shielded operation the ground is hooked up to the negative terminal, positive to gun. I run .023 Lincoln wire with about 20 lb. argon/co2 (more gas when more breeze) and in your case on 16 ga. heat range A or B with wire feed on 3. I'm also thinking your ground sucks or material isn't clean enough and like rjlilhaus sugests don't use a long extention cord if any. My take on this, good luck.

3. 1ton

1ton

Just a tip. I've been using a magnetic ground lug for years. It has a pretty strong magnet on it and you can stick it onto any clean surface without having to look for a place suitable for clamping. Just don't weld close to it because it will definatly screw with the weld puddle. Oh yeah, your problem may come from the fact that your astrological sign changed and your just not used to it.

4. As far as getting a new roller drive on your Lincoln you can loosen a set screw on the drive and turn it around for the .023 groove (two grooves, one drive roller)

5. 1927Tudor

1927Tudor

Polarity change, check your ground, and make sure you have sufficient flow on the shielding gas.

6. dave lewis

dave lewis
    from Nampa ID

Have you switched the polarity yet ?
    It is two black cables that look like small battery cables, and they are hooked up with wing nuts for easy switching..They live right above the feed rolls.
    BTW , your feed roll has 2 grooves, all you need to do is loosen the phillips screw and turn it over for smaller wire. (and switch to the smaller tip )
    I have both 110 and 220 lincoln wire machines (commercial versions ) and have owned and used several over the last couple of decades..Done this switch tons of times....But I really hate using flux wire ! It has its place, so I use it when needed..
    Dave

7. shocker998md

shocker998md

well i went out and switched the polarity. I welded a quick few zaps and its alot better. Ill fool with it more tomorrow, but I think thats what it was.

8. shocker998md

shocker998md

I had to be on the computer to order some parts for the truck, only reason I was typing on here instead of fooling with the welder.

I went out side fired it up and its alot better, thanks for all the help guys. I completly forgot about switching the polarty.

9. shocker998md

shocker998md

oh yea the ball in the float tube deal is at 25 when I pull the trigger, thats what the miller dealer told me to put it at.

10. davidbistolas

davidbistolas

(1) Thank you. I'm just learning myself and this sort of info is invaluable.

11. saints

saints

that was my problem I didnt switch polerity for the gas.....look at your side door where the wire is at should have a diagram

12. shocker998md

shocker998md

all fixed, thanks guys!

13. Steel 35

Steel 35

Try running the flux core with gas if its dirty! its a lot better then just running flux core....I like the bigger wire, but not flux core. Glad to hear your getting it dialed in.

14. budd

budd

so heres a couple pics off my miller 130, i see you have switch the polarity already, i think your gas only needs to be between 18 and 20.

Attached Files:

15. hotrodwelder

hotrodwelder

Remember that the welding supply store is trying to sell you gas! 25cfh is a little high, maybe try 18-20 cfh. Make sure on solid wire your polarity is electrode positive and make sure your ground cable is clamped good. I have been a salesman in the welding industry for 14 years and thats a good way to sell gas. Good luck !!

16. 66 Belle

66 Belle

My Miller 135 recommends changing polarity when going from fluxcore to solid and make sure you've got the right type of gas with the wire. If you're using an extension cord make sure it is heavy enough to supply the welder with the amperage it needs. A 10 to 12 gauge is usually heavy enough. anything lighter and you'll trip the circuit. Make sure the metal on both sides is clean, watch for galvanized metal also. Any undercoating or heavy paint will cause a host of problems all their own. Everyone else is right about the ground also. I've worked on buildings that we used stick but that is a whole 'nother animal.

17. gsport

gsport

glad to see you're getting it worked out...

18. shocker998md

shocker998md

so I fired it up today, and its alot better. Ill drop the gas down to 20 and see how that goes, I went to finish my last patch and I ran out of wire. Ill pick some up on my way to work tonight. Thanks alot guys!

19. saints

saints

also why your at the welding store for like 6 bucks you can get a cleaner pad for your wire....It takes a solvent and goes between your spool of wire and the wire feed.....My dad swears by it being the only way to get a true "clean weld"....ive used mine for about a month and when I changed out the pad it was funky with the crap from the spoool of wire.....still not sure if it helps or not

20. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

.030 with gas? on a 135?

21. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

The cleaner for the wire has absolutely nothing to do with getting a "cleaner weld". Anyone who tells you that is telling you fairy tales.

Sure the contamination and dust you remove from the wire just may have found it's way into your weld, however the deoxidizing agents in the wire (aluminum and silicon) are more than capable of eliminating it from the weld.

What the wire cleaning pad does do is give longer life to the liner that feeds the wire from the machine to the contact tip, keeping it from plugging up with dirt and having the wire start hanging up and dragging.

22. Mark Hinds

Mark Hinds
    from pomona ca

When not using fluxcore in my little Hobart I prefer to use a tri mix gas ,Stargon, mastermix etc usually argon co2 and oxygine with .023 wire. Works well up to 10 gage sheet metal in all posititions with good penitration

23. doug shouldis

doug shouldis
    from ohio

you did not say what kind of gas you were using 75/25 tri mix ? argon? with gas you should be using a s series wire the flow meter should be set between 25 to 35 good gas flow out of tip.

24. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

47 suggestions, and he comes back on and says thanks! Polite enough but WTF did you end up doing to correct your symptoms, other might like to benefit from your solution.........................

25. gsport

gsport

didn't ya read the whole thread?? post #37 said he switched the polarity, what more do you need to know??

26. badshifter

badshifter

The machine is the welder, the person using it is a weldor. And any GOOD weldor knows that the polarity is switchable on welders other than tigs.

27. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

YUP I missed that one, between the wire, the gas the gas mix the flux, the gas cup, etc. the plug in, Musta been on another reply when he posted...........................

28. bruce bowe

bruce bowe

HA HA HA! Your asstrological sign changed. good stuff! i agree about the magnetic ground lug.

29. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Wrong ! What a crock. I am a Journeyman Welder. Says so on my Alberta ticket. Our apprenticeship system says so too. Welder is an indentured ( mandatory ) trade in Alberta.

And the polarity is switchable on all welding power sources other than AC power sources which naturally use alternating current.

It helps to actually know something about a subject before you post. :D

30. Main Entry: weld·er
    Pronunciation: \ˈwel-dər\
    Function: noun
    Date: circa 1828
    : one that welds: as aor wel·dor : a person whose work is welding b : a machine used in welding