Register now to get rid of these ads!

Sheet metal experts look here

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RatPin, Oct 1, 2012.

1. RatPin

RatPin

So as I'm stripping all my body panels down to bare metal to get ready to paint I'm finding a few sections that have intereting patterns in the surface of the metal which I can only assume are from some type of metal straightening technique. I've never seen these kinds of patterns in sheet metal before and was wondering if anyone knows exactly how they were put there.

On the bright side, it's better than finding body filler.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. 57f100

57f100

Looks like markings from a vixen file to me.

3. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

For sure, vixen file marks. Most likely done at the factory before prime/refinish operations. Stu

4. fast30coupe

fast30coupe
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Illinois

I was going to say vixen file

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

5. randy

randy

Usually you'll find stuff like that under old lead work. Did you remove lead? How old is the car? Factory bodywork (lead) is usually easy to spot. Most often it's encountered covering lapped, welded seams or around door and window openings.

Anyway, it's better than rust!

6. afaulk

afaulk

Damn you guys are good, I knew they were file marks...but made by a Vixen file, explain please.

7. RatPin

RatPin

It's a 1954 International pickup

8. Flop

Flop

a vixen has large teeth so to speak afaulk for cutting through lead and steel . those are the tell tale marks of a vixen .

9. afaulk

afaulk

Ok, thanks. That makes sense. I know lead just smears more or less, with a fine file. Thanks again.:D

10. Indispensable tool! I'd say old repair. Factory would have done a little better finish. I use the shit out of mine! You can make ugly disappear!;)

Attached Files:

11. RatPin

RatPin

So what is the exact technique to use the file to shape metal? It appears like it's just a bunch of random grooves in it, and why such random patterns on my fender?

Here's another angle:
    [​IMG]

12. The file is drug or pushed (at a slight angle) across the surface and marks the metal. That helps you know where it needs to be bumped up / knocked down. Once you get it level enough you can shave the surface to level. Looks like some pretty deep grinding marks on your fender. 24 grit was common back then.

13. RatPin

RatPin

I did not encounter any signs of lead. I basically just used aircraft paint stripper and a wire wheel on my drill to strip all my body panels.

14. randy

randy

Like Tinbender said, Vixen files make ugly disappear! That's a good thing. They can also make ugly reappear in the form of REALLY thin sheet metal. It's a great tool in the arsenal, just don't go too crazy.

As far as your pickup is concerned, just D/A the scratched panels working your way up to 120. Whatever is left will be easily filled with mud,primer,paint...