Register now to get rid of these ads!

shear ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by t5stang91, Aug 27, 2012.

1. t5stang91

t5stang91

i am looking at buying a shear/brake/roll all in one. triok brand i believe. It says it is good to do 20ga sheet metal but what are the odds it could shear 18ga? i want it to do floor pans but if it won't shear 18ga then it doesn't work for me like i want. do they safely rate these at 20 but will do 18 without too much of a problem? it is a couple hundred miles away otherwise i would justy go give it a shot. any help is appreciated.:)

this is the product
    http://www.sterlingmachinery.com/db... Roll and Accessory Applications Brochure.pdf

2. BISHOP

BISHOP

I dont think the china made tools will do any of what they say.

Good luck.

I would want to test drive it before I put any money on it.

Bring some 18ga with you to try it out at least.

3. t5stang91

t5stang91

ok, just don't have the $$ and space so this 3in1 would have worked good. thank you

4. in my opinion tools that do 3 functions don't do any of them well. i don't know where that is made , but everyone i've talked to with harbor freight/northern tool Chinese one wasn't happy with it. i've even been offered one for free and i left it there

5. moefuzz

moefuzz

It has been my experience with shears that It is rated at 20 gauge, it will cut no more and if it's made in china hopefully it will at least cut 20.

A shear is only as good as the dies (blades) + the amount of pressure it can exert.
    If the tool is made to cut a certain thickness max - whether it is 1 foot long or an 8 foot sheet - it will likely not cut even shorter lengths/half/quarter sheets at over capacity.

good luck

jmho

moe

6. realkustom51

realkustom51

I service shears for a living. The most fun I have is when someone ask, "I know its rated for 1/2" thick material, but we can try some 3/4" cant we?" Most cases I find what has already been tried laying in the floor all chewed up.

At home I have the 40" ENCO china made 3 in 1. It sits on a well built .250 wall tubing table. Very sturdy. It gets used quite often in our shop. More brake than shear or roll.

Mine and most others are rated at 20ga. mild steel. To be able to cut that with this shear, the blades need to be gapped to .002. This is where the problem comes in. The VEE DIE above the shear follows the upper shear blade while being gapped. Now the VEE DIE is off center. Shimming blades suck but its nessesary in order to gap blades @ .002 and center up the VEE DIE.

Baileigh sells them and so do other reputable machinery dealers and mfgrs. JET oversee's a good looking 3 in 1.
    My final recommendation is,,,
    NEVER use anything other than the original PULL LEVERS.
    REMOVE all fastners and replace with quality nuts and bolts.
    Use NEVER SEIZE on the ways.
    Only use Business Cards for press brake shims. ( .006 thick card=1.2 degrees in bend)
    SEAT upper brake punches with a piece of wood. (as there are no finger guards for the press brake area)
    Heres my china 3 in 1. Just take it for what it is. Don't go beyond the capacity and it works.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 28, 2012
  7. Beau

Beau

I wouldn't.

I did my research and there are lots of stories about these. Tables breaking, cheap hardware, bad castings. They might work great thin copper though. I use some Harbor Freight tools, but this is one to stay away from.

I bought and old 4' Pexto for $200 and it will do up to 18 ga. By shear standards, it's pretty weak, and it's still HUGE in my opinion.

I found an old 'cheapo' brake on CL for $150 from like the 70's. It works good, but back then the shitty stuff was better than today's shitty stuff. :)

In most cases, I can hand form thing easier than using my slip roll.

8. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

they suck unless your going to be cutting poster board.. i cus at mine daily... buy a stomp shear at least 4' wide rated at 16ga. i have had a bunch of bolts break, and strip out, those chinese 3 n 1's just suck unless your doing 22ga..

9. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I am starting to see some commercial grade stomp shears showing up used on Craigslist. There have been some that are way bigger than I would need in the $ 2000 range. With so many businesses folding stuff like this is starting to hit the market.

Don

10. I have 1 but only use it for .8mm sheet mild steel. However, I also have cut 1.2mm ally. 1mm mild steel I have done as well but it does struggle with wider peices. If they are narrow it will work ok. Here is mine. It is only 760mm wide.

Mtw fdu.

Attached Files:

11. Koz

Koz

I had one...... Save your money. As a note mine was dialed in to the "9's" and I could et it to function well for a short period of time. A few cuts or bends and you were back to square one.

12. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor