Register now to get rid of these ads!

shay model a

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by Cranky Frank, Jan 25, 2014.

1. Cranky Frank

Cranky Frank

2. The37Kid

The37Kid

It's a VERY POOR replica of a 28-29 Model A Ford Roadster IMO. Unless you can get it for free you'll loose money on it. Bob

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  3. cmyhtrod

cmyhtrod
    from ct

I think they were on early International Scout chassis

4. captain scarlet

captain scarlet
    from Detroit

Pinto powered - independent front - slightly out of proportion to original.

As said crap

Singlefingerspeedshop.com. Detroit

5. millersgarage

millersgarage

The International Scout ones were the ugly Glassic 2 dr phaeton ones.
    Shays are much better. I think they were sold thru Ford dealers. Fun old time driver with somewhat modern drivetrain.

Not crap

and welcome to the HAMB.

6. Model T1

Model T1

It's your introduction that's what is it !

Believe it or not some owners here in central Florida win trophys in local shows with Shay Model A's. Basically a Pinto with a Model A looking body. They sold fairly cheap in Michigan years ago. I nearly bought one to drive around town and to work but they only came in a roadster at that time.
    True, not a real replica but they make fun drivers. Better than a Prius!

7. They were built with the help prison inmates in Michigan and sold through Ford Dealerships in the late 70's early 80's. Shay also built a 57 T bird around the same time..After having problems with the glass bodies they hired Jim Downs (owner of Downs bodies) to help straighten out the mess. Jim helped but the cars were prone to many stress crack problems..I believe they not only made a roadster but also a pickup..I boughtA roadster with a 4 speed years ago put dropped spindles Mustang wheels a Mustang 2.4 modified engine with a 4 barrel and a wild header,pealed all the extra crap off, blew on black primer and 40 taillights and let my boys who were in high school drive the wheels off of it.. It was by far the most fun you could have for cheap and the Guys still talk about it..I even loaded it with 4 people (2 in the rumble) and drove is 6 hrs to the ST Ignace show in 50 degree weather and that was when we left!! I would buy another in a minute if the price was right I bought ours 18 years ago for $5500 with 23,000 miles............

Last edited: Jan 25, 2014
  8. Model T1

Model T1

Kelly, we looked at the roadsters and maybe a touring car possibly in Dowagiac or Niles back in the 80's. We used to camp up there a lot.
    It seems like they were at an old Ford dealership. I remember a small old type showroom downtown. And I'm thinking they were way under $5000 new.
    Around the same area was a 1932 Ford 2-door also with a Pinto runnning gear added. Not a bad looking car at a fair price. Probably was my only chance to ever own a 32 Ford.:(

9. Muttley

Muttley

This guy thinks they look awesome:

[​IMG]

10. GOATROPER02

GOATROPER02
    from OHIO

Why you have to pick on Dean?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

11. k9racer

k9racer

You now have some answers so how about a little more info on your intro..............

12. My friend has one he's trying to get rid of roadster pretty cool to me

using the mobile hamb app in the capital of the 51st state

Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
  13. -C-.

-C-.
    from GERMANY

Ja´p, ist a older post here, .. but ´... I bought a Shay Model-A out of Los Angeles.
    It is a Addition to my other rides. I have Model-A Coupe experience, drive a 34 Ford Highboy Roadster and 40 Ford PU.
    The Shay was sitting in a backyard für almost 30 years and has only 3800 miles on the Speed. They were pretty cheap for many years, but since they hit the historic vehicle Status worldwide, the Prices went up a bit. The average Shay Price is in Sept. 2018 @ $ 16.000. I use the shay just to get around town and for some classic car shows.
    Another reason, the shay has historical vehicle Status and I can drive into the Low Emisson Zones, that grow everywere to fast.
    Shay sold only 5000 Roadster, only 500 of it had Automatic Transmission. After the first testrides I was surpriced, this " A" repro does everything better as expected ! Enough power to get around, + 70mph on the Highway is no Problem., good handing and Brakes. The top and sidecurtains doing fine, the interior heating system too. The hole package drives better than many expensive Street Rod builds. More guys out of the EU Hot Rod Scene are looking for reproduction rides, because we get more and more headwind´ from the european Goverments in terms of Hot Rod Registration. Shay, Glassics are factory cars sold over official dealerships, and they are now more easy to Register as modified vehicles, like Rod & Customs. The traditional rod & kustom scene grows in europe, but the stress to get them legal on the road grows too. Shay Model-A Roadster Autom.jpg

Last edited: Oct 23, 2018
    lothiandon1940 likes this.