Register now to get rid of these ads!

Shaved door handle tech

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by xmlc216x, Dec 16, 2010.

1. The Shocker

The Shocker

Geez man ,im sorry i took the time to take pics of how i did mine and post them on your thread .I'll take my pics and info and go away now and you can figure a way to do it without my help :confused: ...

2. i know right

3. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

well I thought they were interesting, this thread is titled shaved door handle tech, so A bunch of tech on shaved door handles would be appropriate, I found what you posted interesting.

4. rebstew187

rebstew187

Come on guys. Some of the post were not cool. Why is it that so many threads get this tough guys BS going. Let's put it behind us and move forward. Lots of good stuff here and there are plenty of us that want to see different ways everyone is doing them.
    Creep, I'm not sure what to think of this. To each his own. Seems like your car is taking all the fun out of what this hobby is about. I have had a car stolen. Never got it back. I still don't lock my cars or have to sit with them at a show. If I did what you are doing it would take the fun out of hot rodding.
    Who else has done the shave handles. Show some pics or explain.

5. rebstew187

rebstew187

Do you have a picture? Sounds like a clean look.

6. CURIOUS RASH

CURIOUS RASH
    Classified's Moderator

I had shaved handles on my 41 Chevy. New door rubber was enough to pop the doors to where I could grab it and open it the rest of the way.

7. xmlc216x

xmlc216x
    from MS

Sorry I didn't mean for it to get ugly. I asked about mechanical setups and several people came in commenting about how there electric setups were perfect and offered no help with a functional mechanically operated setup.

My original idea was to install a plain simple lock cylinder only on the driver side door. To keep from needing a lot of torque on the key, I would set it up where I press in on the door slightly against whatever popper system and then turn the key. That's how my locking gas door works on my daily and I liked the simplicity.

8. newsomtravis

newsomtravis
    from pville, ca

problem is that you`re the one that made it ugly..........had to have an attitude instead of a polite, no thanks....

9. CURIOUS RASH

CURIOUS RASH
    Classified's Moderator

Mkay, he started a thread, he made it ugly, he apologized, let's move along.....

10. newsomtravis

newsomtravis
    from pville, ca

ok, heres an idea then, is there a mirror, antenna peice of trim around the front fender, cowl of the truck, a friend of mine did it with a antenna, had it spring loaded, with a cable attached to the other end that open the door, pull the antenna back, door popped open....but could do the same thing with a peice of trim......no pics, hard to explain.......

11. xmlc216x

xmlc216x
    from MS

Lots of wonderful ideas here. So let's keep it going!

What about some kind of hidden release between the bed and cab? Push button? How do you think it would work coming from the body side instead of the door side? Switch the latch where the mechanism is on the body?

12. CURIOUS RASH

CURIOUS RASH
    Classified's Moderator

I think it would have to be a mirror or something on the door. It would be hard to work a mechanism through the door jam to something else that would work properly and allow the door to open and close.

Like a cable, it would have to be near taught for the trigger to work.

Then again, if it works the latch enough to spring the door, then works the latch more as you open the door, it wouldn't hurt.

13. xmlc216x

xmlc216x
    from MS

That's a great idea. I actually have a mirror that mounts on the front of the door just before the fender that I might be able to hinge somehow?

14. CURIOUS RASH

CURIOUS RASH
    Classified's Moderator

Yeah, you could swap them around and then use something mounted on the body.

15. newsomtravis

newsomtravis
    from pville, ca

i wouldn`t attempt the latch switching, but thats me, maybe get some cable and move it around and see what works and doesn`t.......just have to expeiment.....maybe a small loop of cable down below the running boards?

16. newsomtravis

newsomtravis
    from pville, ca

to use the cable anywhere on the car/truck you need to use the one like a bike brake cable, with a sheath, then you can put it almost anywhere.......

17. newsomtravis

newsomtravis
    from pville, ca

make a hinge like the fancy cars hood ornaments, a bolt or cable attached to the back with a spring....

18. CURIOUS RASH

CURIOUS RASH
    Classified's Moderator

What would be really cool is if you hinged the mirror to where you lifted it from back to front, and under it was a key hole. Then you could lift it and lock it. Hide the lock.

Or you could lift it, unlock it, and lift it a bit more to pop the latch. That way, if you wanted to leave it unlocked, you just lift the mirror each time.

19. CURIOUS RASH

CURIOUS RASH
    Classified's Moderator

Good idea.

20. rebstew187

rebstew187

Is this a summer ride or will you drive it in the winter, cold rain ect? Most of my stuff I drive in the warm months. I'm not worried about locking it down like Fort Knox. I can leave my windows down at shows, cruise ins ect. Summer time in an old car with the windows rolled up makes the trip home about 140 degrees. It gets hit in there. So is that about like your truck or is it a true daily driver, summer, fall and spring? Ac and heat?
    Yeah I'm going somewhere this this.

21. newsomtravis

newsomtravis
    from pville, ca

little loop of cable in the stake pocket to pull, would be a long cable, but if all the latches and cable were nice and loobed good, think it could work....

22. ol'chevy

ol'chevy

Back in the minitruckin days, I shaved many a handle leaving the lock on the driver;s door. Very simple and import latches are triggered easily. On cars that have harder latches, I have used radio antennas drilled into the window channel near the glass....think interior door lock pulls... find one with a neat little knob on the end and bend the rods to trigger the latch. Worked really well. Usually used a power door lock solenoid on remote to lock the doors.

23. xmlc216x

xmlc216x
    from MS

Only problem with a loop of cable below the running board is my truck is so low it's bound to catch something going down the road and pop my door going down the road haha.

I like the hidden lock under the mirror trick too. Maybe I could use some old hidden trunk keyhole from a Lincoln or caddy or whatever has that hidden keyhole.

24. Gsnickets

Gsnickets

definitely putting the magnet idea into the think bank when I do the doors on my 49. bad ass idea.

25. xmlc216x

xmlc216x
    from MS

I'm planning to drive it everywhere everyday. I'll sell my daily and we'll keep the 54 and my wife's truck. It'll have heat but no cold air besides the wind.

26. rebstew187

rebstew187

I was thinking something along those lines before it was said about the antenna trick. Most of us don't use the factory gas tank in those trucks. Filler is on the right but if you moved the gas tank to the bed/under the frame you could use the old filler as a trick opener. Weld up the hole on the right and put on the driver side. It would take a little brain work but use the rubber gasket and filler tube to give it the factory look. Use a wire to run throught the door out into the rocker area, back up into the cab corner and in to the filler tube. weld a loop on the inside of the filler neck close to the top. Run the wire through it and attach the wire cable to the stripped gas cap that you weld a small piece of pipe to. Smaller than the filler tube. The cable will hook on the pipe. Turn the gas cap to the right and the door would pop open. The wire would have to be tight for it to work good and you could weld a hook on the gas fliller and on the cap with another cable to prevent someone from yanking the cap off.
    I could have more than likely done it faster than I wrote that. Just thinking outside the box. I know it's not that simple but I haven't seen it done either. I like doing stuff that hasn't been done:D

27. newsomtravis

newsomtravis
    from pville, ca

hey, i was just checkin out your build thread, you sure that tranny you got is a 350? looks like a 400 to me.....just saw a little bit of the tailshaft as i was glancing, think its a 400.....my short attention span at work...

28. newsomtravis

newsomtravis
    from pville, ca

thats the best idea yet^^

29. xmlc216x

xmlc216x
    from MS

Relocating the gas cap would be subtle and pretty cool. Keeping the cable tight but lubed enough to operate smoothly woul be tricky. I'm an experienced bike mechanic so I know all about cable/housing systems needing to work properly!

30. rebstew187

rebstew187

Only reason I ask if you are not running AC then summer time you will not use the outside opener that much. You can reach into the window and open the door.