Register now to get rid of these ads!

Shaved door handle tech

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by xmlc216x, Dec 16, 2010.

1. As for door poppers.
    How about just using opposing feilds Neo magnets.
    They would just push open the door when it's unlatched.

2. xmlc216x

xmlc216x
    from MS

3. old lady's mad

old lady's mad

the volvo is not like a civic, its a push button that you can lock with a key.

4. CURIOUS RASH

CURIOUS RASH
    Classified's Moderator

Thinking on this same thing. The handles are already shaved on the Elky and I was condiering putting them back.

But the lock isn't built in to the handle on a 59 so I started looking at 58ish ford handles. They're pretty similar and have the key built into the thumb button.

Now I'm thinking about a Corvair glove box door I have with a small push button latch that has a key hole in it....

Hmmmmmm.......

Electric popper systems suck.

5. rebstew187

rebstew187

That's a great idea. I'm going to have to look into that more. I seen some place has a popper type that only looked like a piece of tin folded into a (V). It had double sided tape on one side and you stuck it into the jam. I guess it had enough spring to push the door back open. I thought to myself it was alot cleaner look than those round popper things. That was a few years back. I have been looking the last month and can't find them. I thought I seen them in Speedway but looks like they don't carry them. I may have been looking through some mini truckin mag or something. Anyone seen these and know where to get them?

6. AAFD

AAFD
    from US of A

reb, they are called "door thrusters" and they were great.

A friend of mine used to use valve springs from small engines like lawnmowers. He would cut them to length, and run a bolt & washer through them into the jamb. It worked pretty slick!

I like the stand alone Ford lock cylinders idea. They look classy and simple and would be easy to modify to open the latch and still lock.

The chrysler trunk buttons look like a Lincoln door button, but the chryslers lock, that's great!

7. rebstew187

rebstew187

8. xmlc216x

xmlc216x
    from MS

Ok cool, I was wondering what was different. I was thinking every newer car I've ever seen has a turn key trunk release? haha

That's a cool idea... So do you think the ones that come in hard drives are strong enough to pop a door a little bit?

Never thought about a locking glove dept button. I'll have to check into that too.

9. mrconcdid

mrconcdid
    from Florida

No, I didnt use poppers the bear claw style latch kicks the door open about a 1/2 inch and I just pull the door open by grabing the top of the door, yes poppers would work, and really kick it open, but I have seen the need for them. The recess door lock looks really clean and subtle, I am debating which way to go on my 53 right now. I have done it with electric silenoids also, but Have had a dead battery too., Luckly I had put in a throttle cable off a push lawn mower as a safety, ran the cable thur the door and down under the truck, just pull the cable and it opens

10. xmlc216x

xmlc216x
    from MS

I need to clean and lube my door latch assemblies and see how much they pop open when I press the button..

11. I would imagine they would be ideal.
    Get a couple and try them.
    Neo magnets of all sizes/strengths are cheap enough anyway.

12. leaded

leaded
    from Norway

13. big creep

big creep

thats the ticket! you can also buy a lock for the hood. just in case someone opens your hood, i like this set up a lot! or you can make the cable look like its part of the hood latch, that way if someone opens your hood they wont think its for the doors!

14. banginona40

banginona40

I have shaved handles on my '31 coupe and '40 pickup. On the coupe I used VW bug internals, (window winders too) and hooked the latch with Honda trunk release cables connected to VW door handles mounted under the frame below the door. They run up the cowl through the door jamb to the lock set. There is just enough pressure from the windlace to pop the door open very easily.

On my pickup I did the same thing using bearclaws but also relocated one of the power window switches outside the truck and just roll the window down to enter.

The '33 I'm building now has bearclaws with a 1/4" rod running from the latch cam to the bottom of the door. Push up the rod and the door opens.

All lo tech solutions, my favorite.

15. scottydc

scottydc
    from Waco TX

Great idea! A set of electric solonoids for convenience and one of these setup for a backup and no worrys.

16. newsomtravis

newsomtravis
    from pville, ca

sounds like a ton of work and some not so good ideas, when a properly installed good popper system will work every time, you do rely on electrical in a car anyway, like to start it, just my 2 cents...have popper systems in 2 of my cars and never any problems....

17. newsomtravis

newsomtravis
    from pville, ca

if the battery dies, your not going anywhere, anyway.....so, a jumpstart still cures it......as long as you can open the hood from outside.......and the then ya get good strong poppers remote controlled and you see someone lookin in your car, you hit em with the door........fun...

18. xmlc216x

xmlc216x
    from MS

Honestly I didn't ask for opinions on why or why not to use electric solenoids. I asked for ideas people had about mechanical ways to do it. So instead of arguing about an electronic setup you can offer a mechanical idea or go away :)

19. i would much rather have a solenoid than a hole in my door to stick a metal dowel in. thats tacky i think. rain water could get in.

ive used the SPAL door popper kits on both my daily drivers and they never let me down. i wouldnt use the autoloc brand ever again. their product left me locked out many times, and have gone thru 3 poppers. the SPAL poppers work very well.

20. sups2nick

sups2nick

'54 chevy pickup 3100 i took and shaved handles and intalled mirrors off a 52 chevy pickup and only intalled 1 bolt in front of mirror but had a cable going through door hooked on backside of mirror and when you would pull mirror forward or out some it would unlatch door and allow it to open.

21. Take it easy mate.:)
    These threads are here for EVERYONE to learn from.
    You don't OWN the thread just because you started it.:mad:

22. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Not going to argue of anything with anybody,but i need to fab something mechanical for door opening too.The law requires mechanical door opening with shaved doors in here.
    I dont want anything visible knobs etc for the doors,one idea was to hide the opening handle in mirrors.I havent figured it out yet how to do it,but i guess it would not be impossible thing to do..

23. krackerjack88

krackerjack88
    from Fresno,Ca

Not to argue with you Big Creep, But if a thief wanted to get in your car. He or she is going to get in. Whether it's breaking the window or slim jim. The only thing a lock does is keep an "honest" man out.

24. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

they put pressure on the lid or hatch with the weather seal, when you turn the key it opens and springs up a little. Everyone i've seen is like this. simple and it works.
    Just to add a little to this thread, on my off topic project, I'm replacing the plastic door handles on the hatch with rear metal door handles from a sedan, no key holes, for a backup, you install an extra solenoid somewhere such as the original cable for the trunk release, an extra solenoid in a door etc, and run it off of an alkaline lantern battery such as a Duracell 12 volt, they will stay charged for years, you hide a button inside of something like a tailight housing where you can take it off with a couple of screws. this gives you a complete independent backup system. in my case i put in an extra rfid reciever , so you have to turn on a hidden pushbutton then use the coded rfid key fob to pop open the hatch. pretty secure.

25. remember on the hole idea from the video, you can still lock the door from the inside, just like original. you could have a lock on just the driver door from teh outside. Glue a piece of rubber on inside of tube to act like a flapper valve to keep water out.

26. louie the fly

louie the fly

There's no hard and fast rule about where the push button has to be. Think frenched aerials. What about mounting the push button near the top of the door panel? You could make it a flush button. You could even shape it to follow the door contour if needed. When you push the button you can pull on the door at the same time. No need for poppers. This is what I plan to do on my 54 Dodge.

As for those U shaped poppers someone mentioned earlier, they can be made simply from a piece of 1.5mm (1/16") x 20mm (or 3/4") wide spring hard stainless steel strip. Your local springmaker should have some material lying around.

27. I still think opposing magnets do the job just fine and are clean and simple.

28. big creep

big creep

true, but why make it easier?? its a cool idea but it just makes it too easy! there is a better way, plus i dont leave my car outside or anywhere i cant see it. not that may car is super cool to anyone but me. i just dont want to take a chance! too many cars have been stolen, and some from people i know! when i get my car back on the road im getting lojack on it! boom done!!!

but i still want to keep them out! plus im bagging my car! ill pancake it on the floor when i park it! lets see a tow truck try to jack up a car sitting on the frame!! it will make it harder for them to steal, sure they can do it, but they are going to have to really work for it!!! thats if i dont catch them first!!!

29. louie the fly

louie the fly

Granted. We use a lot of small hi powered magnets at work. We call them rare earth magnets. We use them on things like machine covers and doors that need to be secure but also need to be opened regularly and easily. I've never tried them in an application where they are opposed to each other but I know how much effort is required to put them together like that. One time I had a pair of 20x10 round ones. Just for shits & giggles I put them together then let go of one. It shot about 20 metres across the workshop and shattered when it hit the ground. How did you attach them?