Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Shaping Complex Headlight Fill: 40 Dodge PU

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by OneRustedDodge, Jun 24, 2020.

1. OneRustedDodge

OneRustedDodge

Hey Custom HAMBrs,

I am getting to the front-end sheet metal work on my '40 Dodge and am running into a trouble finding a shaping and fabrication solution.

I want to fill the stock '40 Dodge bug eye socket so i can use another manufacturer's headlight on the front of the fender like a Willys, Ford, etc. The biggest issue is somewhat maintaining a body line through the top of the patch that replaces the old headlight mount. The complex curves along with the body line seem like trouble without the proper tools. I have been fabricating on hot rods for over 10 years, but it's my first time with something like this.

Screen Shot 2020-06-24 at 1.29.01 AM.png Screen Shot 2020-06-24 at 1.29.45 AM.png Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

@OneRustedDodge

Had a similar concern trying to eliminate the spare tire recess on the rear fender of my '54 GMC pickup.

A close friend was a retired body man, quite good at his trade, and he pounded the recess from concave to convex and metal finished it very nicely. no cutting, welding or patches needed. In your case there will be small hole filling patches needed, but that is relatively easy.

You might consider trying it. If not satisfied you can resort to cutting it out, but I think you will be surprised at how well it will work out.

Ray

X38, Bandit Billy and RMR&C like this.
  3. Another thought, if you know where there are any junk 40 dodge fenders, but a section and tweak it to fit. At least it would be similar metal and shape.

RMR&C likes this.
  4. goldmountain

goldmountain

My brother did this on the fenders ages ago. Used a torch to heat it, didn't know what he was doing, and it still worked out well.

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. goldmountain

goldmountain

OOps - Forgot the pictures or it didn't happen rule. Scan-180916-0003.jpg

Hnstray likes this.