Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical shaken not stirred

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tb33anda3rd, Apr 3, 2017.

1. Like a make you barf carnival ride :)

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  2. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This was years ago. I mixed the last of some clear in the gallon can, just added the catalyst, popped the top on, shook it by hand, ready. The guy I did that for walked around upset to the point of holding his guts in pain for nearly 10 minutes. "You totally fucked us! I can't believe you did that!" I was laughing until I realized he was serious. I told him if the bubbles on top made it through his gun at 30 PSI it had to be the most bad-ass clear on the planet. After the 1st coat he spent another 5 min looking for bubbles on the hood we had to clear. I laughed more.

3 "never shake"products; varnish, brushing enamel, POR-15 (for brush app). All were mentioned above except POR-15. That's a wild shaker. I've had a Red Devil since 1984. FWIW, I tried the bolts in sand in a paint can. Not worth the time or effort. I did it longer once (stubborn) and got holes in the can for my trouble. Unless you want to hear that racket for hours on end, don't bother.

tb33anda3rd and stanlow69 like this.
  3. i was going to try it but since this "times out" at 3 minutes. i would have to keep pushing the buttons.
    i am going to try strawberries, banana, milk, and vanilla ice cream...........

Stogy, brad2v and 31Vicky with a hemi like this.
  4. The37Kid

The37Kid

Can you test it with two gallons of house stain?

tb33anda3rd and Hudson31 like this.
  5. sure

6. here is the action, i spun it one turn of the housing and took a photo every quarter turn. the can spins one turn for every one rotation. you can see the "ring" gear in the back ground.
    DSCF0002.JPG DSCF0003.JPG DSCF0004.JPG DSCF0005.JPG

Stogy likes this.
  7. Ted, that gizmo is nothing like the shaker I used to mix paint when I worked at the auto parts store many moons ago. Technology is taking over everything these days.

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  8. butchcoat1969

butchcoat1969

The only thing I've ever herd about shaking metallic paint the metallic might not get mixed from the very bottom the shaker type won't scrape it up off the bottom as well now that might be someone's own idea but every place I've worked and bought paint at has always told me to make sure u mix it well and they all use mixers not shakers, good luck

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

9. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm liking the ice cream plan. ;)

stanlow69 and tb33anda3rd like this.
  10. update: thing works perfect. i found that spray cans fit.......if i don't throw the caps away.:rolleyes:
    also i realized that despite using the drill mixer, i was not stirring my primer enough. after a three minute "shake" and then mixing a cup i noticed there are no "lumps" in the strainer as there had been before...........bonus. DSCF0005.JPG

stanlow69 and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  11. williebill

williebill

Careful with that thing.... you don't want a double blow-out.

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  12. "You Only Live Twice"

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  13. i have "a license to spill"

14. williebill

williebill

Just remember... you should never joke about your work.

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  15. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

I had to shake another can today. I haven`t been able to find the old fashioned fire extinguisher bracket yet, but I found that the can will fit into a large caulking gun today. I never buy electric tools at Harbor Frieght, but they do have a Sawsaw for $27 dollars. I bought my Caulking gun at a hardware store awhile back cause it was cheap and thought I might need one in the future.

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  16. Doctorterry

Doctorterry

The local body shop, that I also worked at for a while, has been shaking paint for decades and decades..

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  17. ok to get an idea how well this "blends" and, as promised, an experiment using ice cream and some mixings of various textures and densities that we can all relate to.
    i started with a clean plastic jar with some milk in it, added some "patchwork" [vanilla/chocolate'] icecream, a cut up banana, some peanut butter and a handful of raisons.
    DSCF0001.JPG DSCF0002.JPG DSCF0003.JPG

18. then i put it in the machine at medium setting [2min]. because i had to stick a piece of wood to get the clamp to tighten down on the jar i kept an eye on it as it shook. the window could provide " a view to a spill" if it came loose. DSCF0004.JPG

19. okay, so the results are as followed:
    the milk and the ice cream blended and despite my skepticism so did the peanut butter.
    the banana which was pretty ripe broke down into very small bits that floated to the top.
    the raisons did not change although their presence may have aided in the blending/breaking down of the other ingredients.
    really delicious............
    wife joked" it tastes like '64 chevy blue":D
    DSCF0005.JPG DSCF0006.JPG

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  20. williebill

williebill

Looks like Operation Grand Slam was a success.
    Your wife didn't drink it above 38 degrees Fahrenheit, did she?

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  21. Slopok

Slopok

I think you've just created Baskin Robbins 34th flavor!;)

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  22. BJR

BJR

Now spray it on your car and see what happens.

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  23. never or listen to the beatles without ear muffs.

call it "mayday and a touch of the grape"

hah do you think it will bond?

Last edited: May 7, 2017
    williebill likes this.
  24. i think the fact that the rotating and spinning motion was able to break down the banana and thin the peanut butter on one medium "spin". makes me believe it would mix a can of heavy primer that has been sitting on the shelf for a while.

25. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Not as exciting, but I attached my large caulking tube dispencer on to a sawzall blade the other day. It works great. I even put an aerosol glue can in it. It`s diameter is larger than a typical paint can. I figure it will save me from elbow surgery in about 30 years of not shaking cans.

26. stimpy

stimpy

I remember the PPG rack the tint cans were stired by the rack ( all 20-30 of them at once ) but after mixing the tints it went into a shaker unit that was built in .

27. I wish you would have waited for me!:rolleyes:

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  28. Road Runner

Road Runner

And the raisins suggest that adding those marbles salvaged from empty spray cans would cut down mixing time even further.

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  29. The37Kid

The37Kid

Marbles may be a choking hazard for kids. Bob

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  30. gdaddy

gdaddy
    from nw fl.

I liked "there is a difference" from 31 .

tb33anda3rd likes this.