Register now to get rid of these ads!

Shake Down Cruises - How Far or Long

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 48 Poncho, Aug 13, 2011.

1. 48 Poncho

48 Poncho
    from Tennessee

I plan for the Poncho to be on the road next week for the first time in 6 years. Hopefully everything has been done safely and correctly. I am hoping to drive to the Frog Follies in 2 weeks. I only have 6 off days at home prior to the show. It's about 200 miles one way.

My question is, How long or how far do you guys usually drive a fresh built car/truck before you would leave on a trip like this? If everything goes OK I should have maybe 2 days to drive and test it out.

Thanks!!

48 Poncho

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 13, 2011
  2. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

On my first drive, I put about 25 miles one way. I figured if it broke down, that was about as far as any of my friends would come to help, if it broke down.:D

3. Black Primer

Black Primer

After a few short runs, I like to crawl underneith and check all my suspension bolts for tightness. Just a basic safety inspection.

4. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't remember who (someone smarter than me) said the rule is 5-50-500. Three runs, first 5 mile run gets you close, and presents the opportunity to fix big issues, the 50 miler helps you nail down the details and tuning, and the 500 miler verifies it was all done right.

5. Special Ed

Special Ed

I like that concept, but that 500 miler after just 50 miles seems pretty far to me on a fresh car. Personally, I might shoot for a hundred miles in between the 50 and 500...:)

6. heatmiser

heatmiser
    from mia

two important factors are how much of the work you've done yourself, and are you a guy who travels w/ tools... i think a couple days to flush out any big issues, and a good check for leaks and loose stuff, and you should be good... driving with another car (or a pack) is always the best, but other than that, bring a cell phone and a credit card and enjoy the adventure...

7. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

My first shake down cruise was about 35 miles in rush hour traffic there. I figured if she was gonna overheat, it would be then. The return trip was at night, 65 mph down the freeway.

8. 48 Poncho

48 Poncho
    from Tennessee

I did fail to mention that there will be 6-10 others travelling with me to the Frog Follies also. I always carry some basic tools, extra fan belt, fuses etc.. I started another thread this past week on set backs when I found the radiator and water pump as well as the gas tank were all 3 leaking. That's what prompted me to start this thread. I will make the show either way but I like it a lot better when I can participate with a vehicle.

48 Poncho

9. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Hmmm... how far to shake down? You probably don't want to ask me. The morning after I finished the drivetrain in this one I took off to the HAMB Drags, 1200 miles one way.

<embed id="ZeroClipboardMovie_6" src="http://pic.pbsrc.com/flash/ZeroClipboardFV2.swf" loop="false" menu="false" quality="best" bgcolor="#ffffff" name="ZeroClipboardMovie_6" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="false" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" flashvars="id=6&text=%255BIMG%255Dhttp%253A//i147.photobucket.com/albums/r310/zekanis/Uploads%252520via%252520Pixelpipe/truckhambdrags.jpg%255B/IMG%255D" wmode="transparent" align="middle" height="23" width="160">
    [​IMG]
    <embed id="ZeroClipboardMovie_6" src="http://pic.pbsrc.com/flash/ZeroClipboardFV2.swf" loop="false" menu="false" quality="best" bgcolor="#ffffff" name="ZeroClipboardMovie_6" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="false" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" flashvars="id=6&text=%255BIMG%255Dhttp%253A//i147.photobucket.com/albums/r310/zekanis/Uploads%252520via%252520Pixelpipe/truckhambdrags.jpg%255B/IMG%255D" wmode="transparent" align="middle" height="23" width="160">

10. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

When I first finished the Poncho I took it off the jack stands loaded it up and took the family to Lead East in NJ, we lived in CT at the time.
    The trip was about 150 miles. Lost brake fluid that Sunday loose fitting at a wheel cylinder.
    Thank God for a few friends I had there, repaired in less than an hour and made it home safely.
    Moral to the story, a few shake down runs are well worth the time!!!
    Better safe than stuck somewhere you don't want to be!
    Safe travel in that beautiful Pontiac.

11. trailer-Ed

trailer-Ed
    from JC, MO

I usually call a few buddies and see if they are home, then start out going to one house then another and another showing of my ride/ work. Making a big circle back to the house, sometimes about a 100 mile trip with about 4 stops at friends homes. This way if I have issues they will have tools to adjust/ fix minor issues and am always close to a shop/ truck and trailer. I usually do that twice to run out most bugs then I get brave and to to a show or cruise about 100+ miles and hope for the best.

12. dwaynerz

dwaynerz

bought a finished car after selling my unfinished 35 chevy master and drove it home from indianapolis to st louis with no troubles. not saying the butterflies werent there, but had no problems except getting the keys back from my wife who also wanted to drive it. a lot!!