Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Shaft stuck in HEI:

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by c-10 simplex, Jun 10, 2021.

1. c-10 simplex

c-10 simplex

Any tips on getting the shaft out of an HEI distributor?

[​IMG]

i managed to get it this far by gently tapping with a hammer at the gear end and slightly twisting back and forth a little. But, at this point, it won't move at all. These were gentle taps, not big poundings.

When the distributor is fully assembled, the shaft does turn freely.

i understand that the shaft should fall out normally, but i suspect this is the first time the distributor has been dissembled. (Ronald Reagan was still president when this distributor was first placed in service......)

Last edited: Jun 10, 2021
  2. Paulz

Paulz

Spray carb cleaner into the housing from the bottom side and work it out. The oil varnish on the shaft
    is holding it.

3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm thinking that you have a burr on the shaft. Gently tap it back in and check around the hole for he pin that holds the gear. It also may be crud build up that is making it stick.

Varnish / crud build up = pretty much the same but if it is thick enough it will hang up in the bushing.

4. c-10 simplex

c-10 simplex

Thanks.

5. Yes, I've had dozens of these give trouble coming apart. I always wet the shaft with carb cleaner or some other solvent before I move the shaft too far. Get it moving and keep it wet while you move it in and out and before long it will slip right out.

427 sleeper, X-cpe and Algoma56 like this.
  6. c-10 simplex

c-10 simplex

Carb cleaner did the trick----and pretty quickly too.

No burrs at the roll pin holes.

i'll update at my next crisis.....

pprather likes this.
  7. Lube shaft before reassembly. Also get drive gear correctly oriented on shaft before installation.
    As I recall the dot dimple on gear collar should point the same way as the rotor.