Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Shade tree Model A speedster kind of thing

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by rwrj, Nov 21, 2017.

1. chiro

chiro

Just curious...what's with the wire wrapped around the spokes? Is that your "Shadetree" attempt at balancing the wheels? Also, you should mount that bent up wheel on the garage wall as a trophy.
    Andy

2. rwrj

rwrj
    from SW Ga

I'm dealing with the other guy's insurance on this, since he was at fault. We haven't gotten to the value part of the process yet.

winduptoy and oliver westlund like this.
  3. rwrj

rwrj
    from SW Ga

Andy,
    Sorry. We must have posted at about the same time this morning, and I missed yours. Yeah, that's solder wrapped around the spokes for balancing. I made this balancing doohickey because my local tire store couldn't deal with lug indexed wheels. It's just an old brake drum and spindle. That aluminum rod fits the kingpin bushings pretty close. The wheel bearings are degreased and lubricated with WD40. You can see that little magnet and section of all thread balancing the drum. I just clamp the wood part in the vise with the drum eyeballed plumb to the world, throw the wheel and tire on, and start wrapping. I was surprised how much it took, but those are big, old tires. Maybe they didn't worry about balance much back then? I did move the tires around on the rim to try to get the heavy side away from the valve stem, but it didn't make much difference. They did end up balanced, though, and that made a real difference in driveability.

IMG_20240322_114044532.jpg

IMG_20240322_114148741.jpg

BigJoeArt, Outback, AmishMike and 4 others like this.
  4. chiro

chiro

We need updates! How's old shade tree doing?
    Andy

winduptoy and Outback like this.
  5. Grumpy ole A

Grumpy ole A

When the accident happened, didn’t you and your car end up on your property? Why did they tow it to a storage lot? As long as it was off the highways right of way and in your yard, it looks like it could have been left there. I am just being nosy.

6. rwrj

rwrj
    from SW Ga

Grumpy,
    I ended up on the road. Haha. I remember rolling onto my back as I was sliding, and bumping over those little grooves they press into the edge of the asphalt to warn fools that it's time to look up from the cell phone. Seriously, though, I probably could have insisted that they leave the car, but I didn't think of it at the time. My remaining rear tire was also still on the pavement, so I don't know. Either way, to get to Andy's update request, I settled with the insurance company back in late April. Just in case it helps somebody in the future, I'll recount some of that.
    The biggest hurdle was the value of the car. I went to bring a trailer and searched "Ford Model A Speedster", found a dozen or so that had sold or been bid on in the last few years and sent that to them, along with a link to this thread, and a pretty detailed write-up on the car. I also informed them early on that I wanted the option of keeping what was left of the car. They sent an appraiser out, but he reported back that he wasn't qualified to make a value judgement because it was such an oddball case, so they farmed it out to a private firm. I never had direct contact with them, but they got all of the information I had provided to the insurance company. Ended up agreeing to a figure that was pretty close to the average of the values from the auctions, which I thought was very generous. The deduction from the settlement for me to salvage the remains was reasonable, as well. They also gave me a little extra for being slightly injured, and replaced my eyeglasses. I'm not much for putting my financial details on the internet, but I guess if you were really curious you could use that information to get an idea of the final payout.

All in all, I am perfectly satisfied. I had somebody tell me I should have called one of those personal injury firms and I could have been set for life, but I just wanted a fair value for my car. No sense in pushing my luck. I'm still amazed and appreciative that I walked away. Insurance-wise, I anticipated a much more difficult process than it ended up being. Honestly, everybody I dealt with was polite and professional. It all took a while, but that was OK.

As far as the state of poor old Shadetree, it remains on that trailer covered by a tarp. Still kind of breaks my heart every time I drive by it. I am in the daydreaming/fantasizing stage of the rebuild, which may last quite a while. I have a full set of '37 axles with the mechanical brakes and wide five rims. Since I have to replace the Model A diff, anyway, I'm toying with using them along with my frame (which seems remarkably undamaged, knock on wood) and engine. Like I said, still dreaming it all up. I'll be sure to document the work when I get back to it.

7. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

Thanks for the update @rwrj. Glad you are happy with the insurance outcome.

I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

8. Grumpy ole A

Grumpy ole A

Can hardly wait to see your updates with lots of pictures. We just of pictures.

9. 1low52

1low52

So happy to here that you are physically and financially good.
    Lucky doesn't even begin to describe your journey.
    Tim

Outback likes this.