Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage SFVISBF mini moto event text and pics Mini bikes!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rev106, Aug 4, 2008.

1. rev106

rev106

It was a slightly overcast morning as the racers converged in various trucks and vans with mini bikes loaded in the back upon the SV speedway in Sun Valley. The SV speedway is a remote control car course that is set up like a GP course with many twists and turns, it’s made for 1/5 scale cars, about the same size as a mini bike! As the sun burned off he marine layer the groups of racers and spectators grew to a hive of buzzing engines and buzzing voices of excitement: we’re racing mini bikes! People from all over showed up with some real trick mini bikes, some of which would push the boundaries of what you may call a mini bike but we were there to have fun and not quibble over the small details. The crowd ran the gamut of tattooed punk girls to doughy middle-aged suburbanites driving high-dollar sports cars; mini bikes are for everyone it seems. As the hour approached and people ran this way and that looking for gas or a tool to make a last minute adjustment to their bikes, the sun beamed through to began the slow roast as we began the SFVISBF mini moto race 4. We’re doing a series of races and this race was #4 out of 8 total for the year. We’ve done a parking structure race, a dirt race, and a drag race, now we were putting out street skills to the test. The time was 9 AM we had 39 bikes lined up for the start. We did one “pace” lap and then the green flag was dropped and away we went! The objective was to complete 35 laps and not everyone made it. Some racers threw their chains or they lost control in one of the many turns and wrecked their bikes. Others had clutches explode and foot pegs get sheered off as they diced through the turns trying to get ahead of the pack. Within the race there were mini races with groups of equally skilled and equipped riders. By lap 10 bikes and riders started to show signs of failure and they began to shoot some turns too wide or misjudge a pass and all hell broke loose. One rider crashed and lost his helmet and both his shoes as his mini bike skittered across the pavement; others had mini bike mini pile-ups of two or three racers. The sweat poured on and the exhaust billowed into the air and the laps ticked down until 35 laps were completed by the lead rider, it felt like very little time had passed but you could tell by the smiling sweaty faces of the racers that this race was a test of endurance, skill, and perhaps some luck.
    ffice:eek:ffice" /><O:p></O:p>
    For more photos visit: http://flickr.com/photos/17534977@N00/

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

For more photos visit: http://flickr.com/photos/17534977@N00
    <O:p></O:p>
    <O:p></O:p>

2. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Looks like a GREAT time. :cool:

We're planning a mini-bike madness for Sept 20th here in the Motor City. Got a figure 8 set up on two acres on a HAMB guys property. Half grass with bumps and jumps and half gravel for picking up some speed. Won't have nearly the number of folks that you guys have but I'm hoping more might build some this winter so they can participate next year. I'll post photos afterwards.

3. 1LOWCHIEF

1LOWCHIEF

that looks like SO much fun!

4. rev106

rev106

It was, we'll be planning more events in the future.

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. rev106

rev106

6. looks rad. and not to sound like a prude but its good you see the raceing off the streets

7. That looks like a blast. Although some of those definitely push the envelope of a true "Mini Bike" (and the boundaries of good taste) :)
    Might have to bring out the Old Taco 44 for the next one!

8. I SMELL SMOKE

I SMELL SMOKE

man that looks fun

9. cleatus

cleatus
    from Sacramento

That's a lot of carnage for only 35 laps :)

10. rev106

rev106

Yeah, some of them were not true "mini bikes" but I guess we could split hairs forever on that one. It did not feel like 35 laps, unitl the next day...

11. RUDOG

RUDOG

We got some good fotos also. We will post them soon. What a great race!! I thought that track was perfect!!! will you be racing there again soon??:):):):)

Thanx again. Very well organized...

12. rev106

rev106

Well I guess we got in there at the last moment as the track has lost it's lease on the land. Too bad, it had so much potential but it was too good to last. I hate that. I hate that things are "too good to last". Anyway, check the site for the next race which is a hill climb, scary!!!!

13. A 31 MO FO

A 31 MO FO
    from D/FW

Looks like a hole lota fun!