Register now to get rid of these ads!

SFVISBF fatality

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mazooma1, Mar 9, 2008.

1. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That wants me to log in.......

2. dirthawker1313

dirthawker1313

RIP....i hope LAPD isnt all over them.

3. Deadlights

Deadlights

Its one of those things you dont expect to happen. It is a sad day for all of us in the SFVISBF. May He rest in piece.

Jeremy
    SFVISBF

4. tjm73

tjm73

Sorry to hear about it. Doubt it will end it, but I bet some guys might add some safety features (real brakes maybe???). Some won't.

I suspect races will go on.

5. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ohh... it will end it... Looks like it might also end some freedom for a few folks as well.

Scary and sad.

6. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

wow thats too bad..as Ryan put it scary and sad..
    I hope if this does continue, on any level..that they would look into some safety issues. or at least some safety equipment.

7. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Tragic.....it sucks when this shit happens....
    But...
    What's the "I" in SFVISBF stand for????
    Has anyone ever died at Bonneville???
    Why do people jump out of perfectly good airplanes???

Hopefully the races will go on......true heros, waving the flag of freedom in the face of danger and mediocrity......

8. Kilroy

Kilroy
    from Orange, Ca

The way I see it, if they kill one of their own, no harm no foul... People ski into trees all the time...

If they kill someone not involved with the race, then they need to be stopped/punished...

It just seems incredibly hypocritical, in the society we live in today, that values life about as much as a cherry lifesaver, to prosecute people for placing themselves in danger...

And in case you're wondering, I ain't talking about any wars... I'm talking about getting up in the morning and driving to the store for a cup of coffee...

9. 31hotrodsedan man

31hotrodsedan man

real bummer. i was hoping to go to one of those soon. i hope i still get the chance

10. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

I'm sorry to read this. I'm sure it took the wind out of their sails. I hope they continue but understand if they don't. Sympathies to the friends and family of the young fella that died.

11. houtex63

houtex63
    from houston

12. He's from Sun Valley too. I wonder if I ever met him. I'm better at faces than names. Anyway, bad news for sure

13. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

What kills me, is, that he was 22.
    In Soapbox Street Race In Tarzana
    LOS ANGELES (AP) ― A man has died after the homemade soapbox he was riding down a San Fernando Valley street during a race spun out of control and crashed into a parked car.

Police Sgt. Jim Mascola says the incident took place around 7:40 a.m. Sunday in Tarzana.

Other racers tell The Associated Press the victim was 22-year-old Michael Joseph Garcia of Sun Valley.

They say he was one of about 35 members of the San Fernando Valley Illegal Soapbox Federation out for an early morning downhill race.

14. Horsepower67

Horsepower67

Wow, such a tragedy. I raced all last season and was planning to race yesterday as well, but was too tired after driving home from the March Meet and opted to sleep in. I honestly didn't think this type of thing was going to happen...

I think I'll take a more serious look at my ride's brakes and construction before it's next outing- if there are any more races anyways...

15. BAD ROD

BAD ROD

Yeah….I don’t know……maybe it is just me, but something about being a proud, self publicized organization knowingly promoting illegal activities seems different that a couple of professional sky divers jumping off a building with a parachute.

I can't imagine a scenario that doesn't involve lawyers and/or the law contacting SFVISBF promoters.

I'm just sorry the accident happened.

Mike

16. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

This is sad indeed and I feel sorry the young man had to lose his life at such an early age and for his family too. But, taking some risks in life is a good and positive thing and things do happen. But, when you put you own-self at risk, that is one thing. When you put others at unreasonable risk too, that is another. It is unfortunately that anyone died, but it could also have pretty easily been someone else not involved in the race. What if an older person or small child had accidentally wandered into the path of the race or was at the back of the car waiting for them to go by and got hit? Sounds like that could have easily happened as well. On one hand, I really dig stuff like this and want it to continue, but if so, it seems one would need to take precautions way above and beyond normal. I don't want to second guess these guys because it seems like it worked fine most of the time with no real harm, no foul. I hope they can keep doing it, be extra careful and respectful and have a great time with it. By the way, the video posted was of the races heal in Bernal Heights in San Francisco which is an organized and closed course race. It is still wild and hairy, but controlled enough to keep it within reason. Not quite the same as what these guys do in the early morning hours on public streets. Not saying that is necessarily bad, just not the same. The public streets aren't lined with spectators like is shown in that video.

17. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I think that's the problem... Someone died and as such, it wasn't within reason. I think the poor fellas behind the organization of these events are in for a really rough next couple of years. And it's a shame too...

18. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Its that fine line between uncontrolled fun and overcontrolled stoic behaviour thats so hard to draw......

19. MichaelDorman

MichaelDorman

My heart felt condolances go out to Matt and his familly and every one who had to witness this horrible ACCIDENT.

Unfortunatly I think that in this sue happy, litigious society of ours some pretty gnarly shit is going to go down for all of those involved.

I don't think that assigning blame or litigating an event out of existence and/or incarcerating anyone is going to do any good or bring anyone back.

Racers of all kinds know the risks when they strap into a race car From Top Fuel dragster to Soapbox racer and they accept those risks.

20. Oilcan Harry

Oilcan Harry
    from INDY

I hate that something like this happened. So sad for the family and club members. Seems I rememeber some video where guys got REAL close to hitting parked cars before. One took a roll and missed a car by a couple feet as he tumbled into a driveway. It will be treated like 50's Hotrod street racing in a way. Sad and probaly over. It looked like fun.

21. touchdowntodd

touchdowntodd

as a response to the above question about what if it was an older person or someone taht gets in the way...

i believe that is why the races are held early in the AM, and there are people watching intersections for the racers as well.. not saying its smart, but watching over the videos in the past, it sured seems that way..

its a VERY, VERY sad thing... we should focus on that, not this negativity... im sure this will stop them for now if not forever, but i still intend to set up this sort of racelocally this summer, its been planned for a couple years now

RIP_______________

22. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Yup. It is very risky to organize events like this. Best left to be a bunch of random, crazy, and individual friends showing up for some fun. Then slap a name on it if you have to.

23. OLLIN

OLLIN

I hope that maybe something good can come out of all this like Wally Parks and NHRA and illegal drag racing on the streets.

There is obviously an interest in this kind of thing, I thought about building a car too. maybe after all is said and done and the sh*t has finished hitting the fan, there will be tech inspections and roped off areas/no parking zones/permits etc..

24. invizibletouch

invizibletouch
    from Mobile, AL

Wow...been building one with the kids for a month now. RIP.

25. Aman

Aman
    from Texas

I would agree with Ryan and Link on this, I'll bet that there weren't any "members" to be found this morning as the lawyers are on the prowl in search of a negligent litigant. :rolleyes:

Geez, I guess no one could see this one coming.:(

26. Assdragger

Assdragger

Found this on the SFVISBF message board.
    Shouldnt have to worry about any lawsuits from the family but I dont think that will detour the critics!......

"My name is Jesse Garcia, some of you know me, some of you don't. My
    brother MATTHEW Joseph Garcia, lost his life yesterday. He loved
    soapbox racing and running with us, he knew the risks and always
    accepted responsibility for his actions. Matt was a guy that everyone
    liked or loved, and if you hated Matt, you were an asshole. We loved
    soapboxing and working on our car. I thank all of you for the support
    and greetings, and for the memories, we simply loved it. To the core
    few that were with us yesterday, I simply can't express what it meant
    for you to be there with us, I love you all. Now for the blame game,
    that's bullshit plain out. Matt wouldn't have blamed anyone, not a
    single fucking person, I wouldn't have either, and neither should any
    of you. This is tragic and shouldn't be used as a pulpit to fucking
    preach about how right you were. Thats all I need to say about that.
    To the "journalist" all I ask is show some respect, have some
    decency. Thank you all for the thoughts and prayers and I ask you to
    continue praying. All my soapbox brothers will be kept in the loop
    regarding services, not one of you will be left out. Once again thank
    you all.

Jesse Garcia"

R.I.P. Matthew

27. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

This should be the final word on this... but it won't.
    Prayers to the family and freinds.
    GV

28. redrico1

redrico1

how sad and so young,R.I.P. matt, gone but not forgotten.

29. tjm73

tjm73

Criminal charges?