Register now to get rid of these ads!

severe O/T: Black&Decker Workmate Tables

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 36tbird, Dec 22, 2008.

1. I have 3 different versions-the regular, full-size one that I got for Christmas in 1981, the tabletop one usually meant for doing picture framing and such (found in garbage) and the tiny little one for doing models (also found in garbage)

2. Phil1934

Phil1934

I had built my own with plywood legs, oak top, piano hinges, and continuously threaded pipes for clamping. I had as much in materials as one cost.

3. ehdubya

ehdubya

My brother and I used to share one we inherited from the old man but I wanted it all the time so I bought a mint newer one which looks like Mart's, the old man/brother's is cast iron and much sturdier.
    A guy at work has a matching foot stool, stowage box type thing.

4. INTRUDER

INTRUDER
    from NW Indiana

one of my favorite tools
    i have made jigs to hold all my my power tools
    i.e.
    grinder, drill press, jig saw, buffer, etc
    and yes, the OLD style is made much better

5. Ive never actually seen one of these benches, but after all this talk Ive been thinking about trying find one. Ill have to check craigslist.

On a similar note, this morning while flipping through the channels I ran across this infomercial for a portable workbench that looked pretty cool. Has anyone here tried one of these?

Here is a link I found ... http://www.rockwelltoolsdirect.com/?source=gg-branded&gclid=CNqX06Wr2pcCFQJNagodBUzFDg

6. Lotek_Racing

Lotek_Racing

I don't think it's worth $200.00, you don't even get a work surface, just a clamp with legs. It's basicly a woodcarvers bench.

I see someone is using the Rockwell name to market offshore tools. I wonder what Black & Decker/DeWalt has to say about that. I'm pretty sure they still own the Rockwell name since they bought Delta/Porter Cable a couple years back.

Shawn

7. I have 2 big tables and 2 small ones. Got them all at garage sales, the most I paid was 25 clams. One of the full size tables is an older model with aluminum legs and a much better quality top. They get a lot of use holding metal and wood projects. I like the portability.
    Bob

8. Checked mine and it's the rear board that moves.

You guys with two have got me thinking that I'd like to have another one.

I see pretty good ones at garage sales and the swaps now and then.

Are they all about the same height?
    I'd try to get a matching one, but if it was a front board movable model and the price was right I wouldn't turn it down.

Any weird things go wrong with them?
    Looks like a fairly simple device and if all the clips etc. are there it should be ok.

Just think, one more, a piece of plywood and I'd have another big work bench I could stack up with stuff....

9. Very versatile.
    [​IMG]

10. Doc Squat

Doc Squat
    from tulsa, ok

I've got one of the originals. I think I bought it in the early seventys. Used it for almost everything. Last time was a end of a sheet of plywood used for a table to feed the rod club.

11. I might have bought one, but they are too damn short.

12. In about 1980, while working for the Big K, I had a manager ask me if I wanted to buy the 2 display model of the w-m and a 2,000 lbs come -a-long for $10.00. I kind of him-haa about buying them, so she knocked it down to $7.00. I bought them and it was the best money I ever spent. I gave the cheaper w-m to my brother and I still use the better w-m and the come-a-long.
    George

13. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Heres my dad and my buddys doin some fab'n on the old workmate that we found earlier that morning leaning up against a good will box.

14. JackdaRabbit

JackdaRabbit
    from WNC

[quote the old workmate that we found earlier that morning leaning up against a good will box.[/quote]

If you didn't make a donation - it's stolen and we got your plate number

15. haroldd1963

haroldd1963
    from Peru, IL

I've got my dad's...don't tell him!

16. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have two originals that I picked up at a yard sale last year and one knock off . One or the other or all three get involved in almost every project I do. Great when two hands that don't work all that well anymore won't quite get the job done.

17. Dirtynails

Dirtynails
    from garage

I have one of the very first ones made,it doesn't have the little step thing. Because they fold you can stack them up on the wall. A real workshop needs at least 4 ....:D. I use mine for EVERYTHING from the paint shop to the welding bay . I am never without one. i still get ASKED WHAT IS IT! :D:D:D

18. I found some nifty screw clamps for a WM. I'm thinking Harbor, but then I'm old and it could have been Taco Bell.
    The threaded part goes into the existing holes and has a big nut on the bottom. You just slide your work under the clamp and flip the latch on the top to lock it down. Been quite helpfull.

19. rick finch

rick finch

Had mine since the early 80's, heavy duty frame damn near gives me a hernia.:eek: One of, if not the best tool ever made, I've used mine like a rented mule, wouldn't trade it for anything!

20. Gigantor

Gigantor

HAHA... Listen to you guys, you never know what will float on the HAMB. Now that you mention it, that is one of the few things I did not put on the moving truck when I left Seattle ... not enough room. I wonder if my mother still has it. I used the bejesus out of that thing and haven't thought of it in years... now I want it back.

I do remember that one of the handles that worked the clamp squealed like a bastard when you were tightening it down ... always too busy or preoccupied to do anything about that while fixing something else.