Register now to get rid of these ads!

Severe Bondo Abuse

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Nads, Mar 29, 2010.

1. It looks good with the doors & the grille. I see got your t/gate hinges & pins done. My hinge bottoms, are next in line to be made, in the machine shop.

2. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

that looks great outdoors. nice chop. subtle, tasteful, well proportioned. so much work. but worth it. at least from this side of the monitor.

3. The SofaKing

The SofaKing
    from Omaha NE

that is funny as hell.. when I lived in Pittsburgh bondo"ing" and metal taping
    my 80's dodge RAM was an annual event. Inspection laws suck there..

4. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

I'm sure few will notice it's chopped, but I'm kinda looking forward to people wondering why the car looks 'off.'
    I chopped the inner garnish moldings yesterday, too boring to post a picture of, I'm gonna start the vent windows tonight, I'm thinking that it won't be as bad a job as I first thought. I have one Impala vent window, I'm hoping it'll simply drop in, fingers crossed.
    This weekend I think I'll start on the front end to see how everything will fit.

Thanks for the compliments, General.

5. Toner283

Toner283

Hey Nads, if you chopped it to have Impala glass fit, wouldn't the Impala aluminum garnish moldings fit? Just a thought.

6. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

No, the hardtop stuff's totally different, the wagon stuff is too, El Camino trim is unique, I'm gonna have to cut it and have it TIG welded.

7. scrape53

scrape53
    from iowa

looking good...going to kill when done

8. Just don't have it anodized, after. The welds don't cover, for some reason.

9. Toner283

Toner283

I think I have 3 sets of windsheild post trim that came with my car so if you make a mistake with cutting/welding them I can spare a pair if you need them. They will be a challenge to cut & still keep the graceful swoop in them.

10. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

They're all stainless.

11. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

I remember doing that as a kid in Ohio, although up there it was simply to keep exhaust fumes from the rusted exhaust from coming in. The theory was the rest of the car would disintegrate before the patch did. drive em until the frame is too far gone to drive. :D This reminds me of the time my buddy got busted, seems people were stealing street signs for floor pans, the police got wise, and started using a mirror to look under cars at traffic stops. The 45 showing through the floor pan wasn't a part number. :rolleyes:

12. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

13. Nads, do have a picture of your firewall, showing the heater and A/C situation? Mike HemiFarris was inquiring about which heater his Elco has. Thanks, Jay

14. Toner283

Toner283

I'm confused. are you talking about the inner or the outer trim? I thought you were talking about the garnish moldings inside. or are your garnish moldings stainless?? the sets that I have are all steel. I would like to find a stainless set for my car if such a thing exists.

Are the outer stainless trim pieces for the windsheild elcamino specific or do they fit the same across the models?

15. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

The inners are all steel, that's easy to chop. The A-frame stainless is specific to El Camino.

"Nads, do have a picture of your firewall, showing the heater and A/C situation? Mike HemiFarris was inquiring about which heater his Elco has. Thanks, Jay"
    I'll do that tonight.

Here's some pics of the floor, one side's done.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Other side tonight, it's getting closer.

16. 'Bout time for an update Nads!!!!

JH

17. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Been working, took no pics though. I'm gonna take same pics this weekend.

18. El KaMiNo KiD

El KaMiNo KiD

hey Nads i bought some new drain hoses for the front and back from the el camino store..but that was a couple years ago and they were on backorder for 2 months...

19. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

I got no pics again, did the driver's floorboard, it was a lot harder, the emergency brake turnbuckle mount area was gone, I had to weld from underneath, upside down welding is zero fun.
    Other than a few holes in the secret floor compartment, the rust is all fixed. Next I'm gonna POR 15 the floor and do the front end.
    The edge repair I did on the driver's door is way off, I did it with the door off the car, I'm gonna have to weld rod to the edge to match the fender which means the filler will burn off and I'll have to re-skim the door. Fun!
    I promise, pics tonight.

20. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

OK, I broke my promise, one week later now.
    The driver's side floorpan, done.
    [​IMG]
    Here's the rust in the little secret compartment behind the cab, surprisingly not as much as I thought.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 18, 2010
  21. Good thing you have your dapper looks to fall back on............because we can't call you a welder!

You are however gluing together something that was quite a turd. Keep the updates coming.

22. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

And here's the A/C pics for Hemi Farris
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

23. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

It's strong, that shit's rusty, it'll work.
    I can weld on nice clean metal just fine.

24. Excellent build. This is going to look great.

25. AHotRod

AHotRod

26. I know!:)

27. str8 6 str8 edge

str8 6 str8 edge
    from Tampa

Keep up the momentum bro. It's looking great. You welder!

28. nocoastsaint

nocoastsaint

You have your work cut out for you. Perseverance must be your virtue. :)

29. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Perseverance? Ha, stupidity more like.

30. Anything new and exciting with you? Pics?