Register now to get rid of these ads!

Setting timing....am I just that stupid?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dynaflash, Oct 11, 2012.

1. dynaflash

dynaflash
    from South

I bought a 1987 350 Chevy engine for my 1957 Chevy 210
    The paperwork says set timing at 13-16 deg but the timing tab only has up to 12 deg, so I send the question to the engine company and the answer comes back .

Set the total advance first , engine at 3500 rpm should be 32-34 deg on the balancer timing marks should line up with zero on the tab. This would be the same of initial timing. You should see 10-16 on the balancer marks line up with zero.

Ok what am I missing?

I have always pulled the vacuum line from dizzy and plug it. Put timing light on battery and number 1 plug. Then set timing......

Help ..thanks

2. Use an adjustable timing gun. Set it to 33 degrees, rev engine up. Adjust till the timing mark is on zero on the pointer. That is your "total advance".

3. dynaflash

dynaflash
    from South

Adjustable timing gun......ok I will have to see where I can get one of those

4. Stroker McGurk

Stroker McGurk
    from Canada

Or...get a degreed balancer....or a timing tape that will show 33 degrees

5. A "cheap" way to do it. Buy one of those plastic protractors. Take off your lower pulley. Set the protractor so the "0" is lined up on the "0" timing mark on your balancer. Find 33 degrees (or whatever they call for) advance on the protractor. Take a hacksaw blade and cut a small line on your balancer. Mark it with white fingernail polish or paint. Then you can set it so it lines up on "0" with a standard timing light.

6. Stupid? Probably not. You will need an adjustable timing light-dial,or digital.Stick or auto trans comes into play here....(only for performance) If most of your driving,or "fun" is in short bursts,i'de say all timing come in by 3 grand-if not sooner. With the adjustable- set at zero(light).
    Rev it to 3= will probably take two people unless you have a meter which measures rpm in the engine bay.,and record(degrees) turn the dial until it's at ZERO again.
    That's your total advance at that rpm.
    Make sence?
    I'ts been a while with those years and timing marks....
    does it have a tab on the left side of the eng?=old school,or is it behind the h20 pump looking down?
    Some of those years required 0 degrees. I'm unsure.
    Either way- you'll need an adjustable light=makes it easier,or you'll need a timing tape to look at where the ballancer is at at rpm.
    I'ts just two ways of doing it.
    Invest in a light if you can. You'll thank yourself for it.

7. AllSteel36

AllSteel36
    from California

Set your base timing first..adjust with distributor kit for 3500.

8. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

there is always the "ear&eye" method - have engine warmed up a little while checking that the fuel mixture screws to make sure carb working OK, block of distrib vacuum and at carb port, lossen distrib bolt slightly, fire it up and idle about 700RPM or so, turn distrib very slowly and listen for the engine to start running rough and turn back opposite direction and do like before. you will hear and see the sweet spot. retighten distrib, hook up hose, reset idle and by hand increase throttle speed. if sounds good go for a short ride. don't do a burn out right away. or do what the other guys said.

9. Rattle Trap

Rattle Trap

Invest in a digital timing light. Turns it into a 5 minute job and you will know right where you are at when it's done.

10. some times called a dial back timing light.

11. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

hope this helps

12. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

Be aware that some digital timing lights do not like Pertronix.

13. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Keep it simple and easy,.....get a dial back , or adjustable timing light......

4TTRUK

14. Ha Ha - The timing tape I listed above is Both Simpler and Easier, plus a hell of a lot cheaper :D:D

15. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

And a hell of a lot more accurate as well...Every dial-back light I have ever seen retards as the rpm goes up. Personally, I wouldn't take one if it was free. But hey, whatever works for you...:rolleyes:

16. Not a BAD idea, but not all engines run best at 30° total advance

17. Then divide it by 360 and multiply it by the number of degrees.

Example:If your balancer is 24" circumference and you wanted 33 degrees:

24" divided by 360=..06666"
    .06666" X 33 degrees = 2.200011" from ZERO

Math is our friend. Learn it, love it, use it :D

18. Or put the tape on it so that you can try different settings until you find that one that your motor likes, instead of having to divide, measure and make marks over and over again. ;)

19. I'm not a fan of the look of tapes or full degreed balancers, looks too "street roddy" to me. You are right, they are cheap and easy. We are all just giving him options of different things. I have mentioned 2 ways that are pretty much FREE, cant get much cheaper than that. :cool:

And if you are just going to play "until you find that one that your motor likes", why use a gun or tape or anything at all?

20. Bad Eye Bill

Bad Eye Bill
    from NB Canada

Right! Move your distributor until you find the sweet spot, you'll know when you find it, lock it down and go for a run, if it spark knocks, retard a tad, if it doesn't, advance until it does then back off until you lose the spark knock, several runs may be required, great fun ensues, timing lights, pfftt.

Of course, open or loud exhaust makes it very hard to hear spark knock so maybe a timing light is a good idea. Carry on, I'm gonna go get a beer.

21. I learn something new every day on the hamb. thank's for posting.

22. dynaflash

dynaflash
    from South

I thank you all. I did buy the tape but have to say on a fully running 57 and my fat belly it is hard to get over in there and get it on the right place. I finally got it installed and was smart enough to make a paint mark because as soon as I ran the car down the street the tape was gone. A little dirt and oil I guess. Anyway I did set the timing this way and it seems to be fine. Exhaust is s little loud but do not hear any spark knock and it is very responsive. Thanks everyone

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

23. zep058

zep058

I have read there is a chance that timing tapes can not give you an accurate indication as the damper may have slipped over the years, would this be likely?

Trying to set my mopar 383 at the moment without a dialback light. May need to use my brain and follow prewarcars4me and go the mathematical route