Register now to get rid of these ads!

setting pinon angle

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 56olds-ERDY, Apr 28, 2006.

1. 56olds-ERDY

56olds-ERDY

how do i set the pinon angle with no driveshaft.do i just match the rear of the tran tailshaft?this is on a leaf spring car with a clean housing.thanks,
    eric

2. set the pinion angle in the same plane as the tailshaft.

3. Rotate the pinion untill the axis of the u-joint is vertical, then use a "protractor/level" to set the pinion so that it is tipped "up" 3 degrees at the front.

4. Devin

Devin
    from Napa, CA

I'm in the same boat here, I don't mean to hijack this thread. My trans is at 0 degrees, do I keep the pinion angle at 0 dgrees as well?
    Thanks

5. yes

6. ProEnfo

ProEnfo
    from Motown

see attached...

CC

Attached Files:

7. 67Imp.Wagon

67Imp.Wagon

That looks like a nice attatchment but I can't read any of it on my screen.

8. seymour

seymour
    from PNW

Why's it at 0?

9. jetmek

jetmek

id like to find out more about this myself....got an old stude with a paraleleaf (SP)rearspring the pinion points down. does it wrap up to the correct upward angle when the car is under power? would one construct a setup like this with the correct upward angle and just bolt on slapperbars to maintain that angle while driving?

10. 56olds-ERDY

56olds-ERDY

thanks guys.when i set it do i need it at ride height?if soo is there a way i can do that without the tires.if i know what size tire/rim ill run in the end.thanks,
    eric

11. Tire and rim size has no meaning to determine driveshaft angles.

The car needs to be loaded in the configuration it'll normally be driven.

Wheel and tire size changes will have minimal changes to anything you need to check. They'll change ride height, but not proper driveshaft operating angles.

Think about it for a few seconds and you'll figure it out.

12. Candy-Man

Candy-Man

If running leaf springs in the rear add approximately 0.5 to 1 degree to account for spring wrap....It is not advisable to have the driveshaft perfectly straight, as it presumably gives you a bad vibration, almost as bad as if the angles are too far off from each other, so I have read.. The pinion / trans. angle should be set at ride heigth.... If your output shaft of the transmission is runing down 3 degrees, your pinion angle should be running upward 3 degrees, there; they should be PARRALLEL to each other as indicated in the above diagram.. If you are within a degree of each other, you will not have a problem and certainly will not feel any vibration if you are running a rod with bias ply tires, etc.... Remember you pinion angles change while driving the car, due to the rear end movement...

13. Devin

Devin
    from Napa, CA

Not really sure. The carbe mounting area on the manifold is about one degree forward. Maybe I'm measuring at the wrong point on the trans. It's a T-5 and I tried to find the most level location on the top where I could put the angle finder.

14. terrarodder

terrarodder
    from EASTERN PA

If you can't get to the back of the trans., where the starter bolts on is the same plane as back of trans. The top of the manfold where the carb. sits should be level at ride height. Thats what I was told, take it for what its worth.