Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Setting Mallory mechanical advance on flathead..help!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rodderbilly, Jan 16, 2015.

1. Hi all...that's the first time i do this thing...i'm searching to set the internal advance on a Mallory dual point in my 8ba.....i use a allen head wrench...is 0,144 wide in the flats,,,looking on this page.......http://www.flatheadv8.org/rumblest/ignition.pdf
    in this way i get 16 degrees of advance...what i ask to you is to see where i use the key to have that gap...i have do it right?i need to place the allen wrench in that side of the bent tab or in the other side?take a look on my pictures please.....
    20150116_174628.jpg 20150116_174628.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 16, 2015
  2. Did you make a call to Bubba's?He may be able to answer.

3. no55mad

no55mad

There is a lot of good information in that post you added. I have the older Mallory and had to bend the tabs to change the advance - it wasn't adjustable with screws. If you hold the gear stationary and move the advance mechanism (move it by turning the rotor), you should be able to see where it stops and how much gap there is. If your dist can be adjusted with screws, the larger the gap should equate to a lesser advance.