Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Service station in the bygone era.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by choppedtudor, Mar 4, 2021.

1. choppedtudor

choppedtudor

I've been searching for info about a service station my grandfather operated in the early 50's on Long Island directly across from Jones Beach..the Wantagh area...I 'think' it was a Gulf station. It would have been on the road that became the Parkway and was demolished to make room for 4 lanes of traffic...If any members here lived on the island and have vintage photos I'd love to see them.

2. I found info for a buddy by checking local newspapers from that era on line.
    Found a one-page ad for the grand opening.
    Might be a start for you.
    IMG_2597-1.jpg

Last edited: Mar 4, 2021
    choppedtudor likes this.
  3. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

There are online archives for newspapers, or your local or state historical society may have them online as well. Some of the archives require admission, or are a part of ancestry.com; one I've found that's free (but has a limited number of papers available) is http://www.stparchive.com/landing.php

choppedtudor likes this.
  4. SR100

SR100

What was his name? It will be difficult to search for anything without either his name or the name of the station.

5. choppedtudor

choppedtudor

His name was Al Steier, and I THINK it was a Gulf station...he left Wantagh in '54ish.

6. SR100

SR100

I couldn't find anything so far. One more place to look.

7. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

Stogy and choppedtudor like this.
  8. SR100

SR100

Images-of-vintage-gas-stations-pre-65 is a great thread. The problem is that very few of the pics are labelled and he won't know the station if he sees it. I couldn't find a city directory or phone book for the Jones Beach area online to get the name of the station. I didn't see anything on Newspapers.com mentioning him or a station. That said, there are plenty of newspapers that aren't on the big commercial newspaper sites. The Sanborn Fire Insurance map for Jones Beach is not online. It will show location, size of building and ownership (or company name). Being in NY, your library may have resources for both the newspapers and the Sanborn maps. Otherwise, your best bet is the closest historical society to Wantagh.

Stogy likes this.
  9. I checked with my buddy who grew up on L.I. and he remembered the Wantagh area and the street, but unfortunately not the station. Keep looking!

Stogy likes this.
  10. choppedtudor

choppedtudor

Thanks for all the effort...

11. If there was a high school in the area, you might search yearbook ads for that particular year.
    Also, there is a Wantagh Preservation Society.

choppedtudor likes this.