Register now to get rid of these ads!

seriously, how do they do it????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by superstockcatalina, Jan 9, 2012.

1. ok, i decided to make my 55 chevy from the bullshit primer to glossy, tired of my primered 55 being called a "rat rod". initially it was a gasser that was to become a replica of falfas car then i chose to go with my favorite.....the car from sometimes they come back. theres been a ton of gassers emerge and too many falfa replicas. its in my shop for a new engine and paint but as soon as i finish my exhaust i neeed the flamethrowers. Most people here hate em, and i too think they are gaudy when they are either too big or too pussy.

but to make the car correct, i.e.: flying down the highway with the flames on, i need a real pyro to help me figure out how to actually do it. is it gas, or propane that they used on that car? was it a distributor and blower motor or a kit similar to the autoloc with propane? also....i dont want to kill my car. i just want them to go on, stay on and not do the gay shit like rev it, hit switch, and shoot two foot flames for three seconds at a time...

Help me please..

Attached Files:

2. I think the glossy paint will remove the rat image, but I'm afraid the flamethrowers will reattach it quickly. I'd leave em off. Just my opinion.

3. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

do it just like they did in the movie. Get hit by a train, become a zombie, and voila!

4. A Rodder

A Rodder

Generally the redneck way is run a spark plug wire back to the back with an auxilary coil powering it, rev it up hit a switch that swaps the coils so the engine won't fire, and the other coil ignites the unburnt fuel

You probably new that though. I think with the propane, you would still need to rev it to "propel" the flame further away from the car.

A guy here in town has some on a 56 ford pu with stacks. He has it with propane, but the flame kind of lingers out a couple feet, nothing real exciting about it.

Hopefully you can get an answer!

5. slammed

slammed

Why make it a flamer? To look like a jet rocket streaking down the hyway? With all the cell phone's you'll have the local 5-0 looking for a 'car on fire'!

6. chaddilac

chaddilac

What? That's not true.... I watched many a guys with kustoms at the KKOA shows cruise around and fire em up when I was growing up!!

It's all about loading the tailpipes up with gas with the distributor not working, then firing it back on to blow the pipes out.

7. jcfast66

jcfast66

Pretty sure I saw the Flame Throwers in Speedway Hot Rod catalog . Come in a kit

8. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

get one of these from WWII. they are tradional, and portable . you can kill anywhere, not just directly behind you car.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

10. you know the movie stuff was CGI effects .......dont you

i mean take a real good look at the first pic you posted if you cant tell the 55 isnt really on that dirt road..........

the cops would never let you drive down the street with flames blasting out da back of yer car ....... get real

11. thesupersized

thesupersized

i found this diagram on here a couple years ago, and made it, it works good. When toggle switch is on, you get a constant spark at the plugs. Gotta have a manual choke to get good flames...For mine, I attached the relays and coils to a small piece of wood in my trunk to keep the "kit" contained. Go to junkyard and grab the relays from junk cars...this kit is basically free!

Attached Files:

12. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

You mention not wanting to be gay but in this old timers mind what you propose would be exactly that ...........................GAY!!!
    Might be a generational thing but what do you expect from someone 67 years old.:)

Frank

13. what's wrong with a guy being happy?

14. A Rodder

A Rodder

Raw fuel un burnt thru the cylinders I believe has an impact on your engines life. Something about washing down the oil on the walls.
    Don't know how much but I have to think it will affect it.

15. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

I dont think theres a way of having flames w/out hittin a switch and revvin, also cause you need to expell the fire being it caused by unburnt gas or by propane...
    It seems like you dont want flames to back fire into your engine.......

16. I think this idea is incomplete.
    First get this authentic kit from nam r ww2
    second,you dont want to be like everyone else with their gay ass flamethrowers exiting in the rear,sooooo,you take the tip and rout it directly into the car through the drivers side window or a hole in the roof or windshield.
    Show everyone your not a pussy and hit the switch in front of a crowd and become everyones hero with a hit of a switch.
    done.

17. A tub

A tub

do what makes u happy ,stuff the opinionated, live life to make ur own happiness and not satisfy the majority/minority of people and there way of thinking , you only live once, life's too short to follow every-ones special rules they like to follow, and a big pat on the back for the paint, i have no probs with shiny paint etc, i only have problems with people that start with good paint jobs and then go and f--- it all up by skimming it off and making there cars rusty ,what a joke talk about disrespecting your own car, all that for a certain amount of cool factor, i think not , if that was the way it was then so be it, but to go out of your way to do it, stupidity in my mind, to make a car look nicer , when done well always looks good to me, stay true to yourself 1st ,everyone else after

18. Go Green, use methane!!-MIKE

[​IMG]

19. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

^^^ true that.

I like that way of thinkin in a world of think of everybody else 1st then you.
    Also, treat others as other treat you. so if you get punched, punch harder.

20. Rich Rogers

Rich Rogers

Screw what "other" people think. My 55 is flat black and gets called that aweful R--rod too and yeah I'm tired of it too BUT I'm not going to change what I like to please them. Besides they kinda change their opinion alittle when they notice the 2 aircleaners going through the hood. If you're happy with your car then leave it ......

21. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

"Burn Baby......Burn!!!"

22. From a technical stand point, to answer your question, most use a modern system with it's own coil and "Fire Box" then the trick is to use a NOS "Nitrous" solenoid adapted to a propane tank and some guys use a regular NOS kit and inject gasoline and propane together for that ultimate fire show. BUT, But!! Be damn careful where you aim that fireball as the flame may go 20-30 feet but the heat will go 50-75 and melt late model jellybean cars and melt flesh! Be responsible if you decide to pursue this as you are going from a pop gun to a howitzer! :D

23. 68vette

68vette

My 85 year old mechanic Arthur gave me a model T coil to make a flame thrower out of it....says to put in a small tank that will hold gas in the rear with a small pump to pump it into the exhaust at the rear end....pump some gas in the exhaust, switch on that coil and rev the engine....

His 40 ford sounded like a jet taking off...

24. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Now THATS period...

25. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Oh man, do I feel like a chump. After all these years of pursuing a path of self enlightenment and getting no-where, the answer was there staring me in the face! FLAMETHROWERS! Thank you sir, the scales have fallen from my eyes!

26. Pop-Rodder

Pop-Rodder

constant flames 2 feet from your gas tank sounds like a marvelous idea

27. well thanks for the opinions fellas, but if i wish to do this car similar to the movie car, i still could use help on how to hook up the regular flamethrowers to the propane tanke and injector and nos solenoids etc....nor do i wish to be "gay" OR have those stupid looooong fire streamer things or a huge ball of fire 20 feet around....all im looking for is a small 4-5 foot steady flame. i found a 59 black impala on youtube in a parkinglot and they kinda stayed on and puttered with the idle of the engine, i heard it was a matter of a choke. but im running a small 400ci and dual quads...a simple "propane" injected diagram would suffice...the negativity though...is "gay" in itself lol. im not even a huge fan of flamethrowers either....there ok for 5 mins then get old. but i always wanted to build THIS car thats in the movie..

28. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

There are times I would love them for those pesky tailgaters. :eek::eek::D

Don

29. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

:D I did that when I went and got my truck off the side of the road yesterday after I lost a radiator hose at 04:15 on the way to work. The distributor and wires were so wet with antifreeze that it didn't want to run too good and then right when some gal was right on my back bumper it decided to fire and backfired louder than my cannon fires. It was funny to see her "I think I just shit my pants" look in the rear view mirror. She backed off from my bumper though.

I always figured that guys who ran open headers or had flame throwers did so because they figured that their car couldn't draw enough attention on it's own merits and they had to do something to help it draw attention. Just like the idiot at every outdoor show who has to start his open header rig up ever half hour on the half hour and gun the engine until he draws a crowd of mouthbreathers around it to make him happy.

30. the metalsurgeon

the metalsurgeon
    from Denver