Register now to get rid of these ads!

Serious rust removal!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by evintho, Aug 22, 2010.

1. The whole chelating thing is over my head so I'll just take your word for it. :)

2. GizmoJoe

GizmoJoe

That ok Saxman... I'm short so most things are over my head. ;)
    I'm basically lazy so I love how I can leave something in the solution and not have it eat the good part.
    Hmmm wonder if you could make iron-fortified cookies with it after? ;)

3. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Exactly right, some spout forth with out thought.

4. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My only thoughts are you will get rust through with the severe pitting. Ask me how I know.
    I used an old chest type freezer as a molasses tub, free and worked great. No the molasses wasn't free just the tub.
    But if the rust through s are there ,well they are there!!

5. GizmoJoe

GizmoJoe

I also use a chest-type freezer.

I also sometimes build a container "free-form"....
    Concrete building blocks in the shape of what I want to clean.. lined with either super heavy plastic or pool liner or.. believe it or not, large old air mattresses cut inside out.
    They have a lot of little cross pieces that need to be cut but they are water proof.

I've done that for electrolysis as well.

Kiwi 4d .. I would think you would get rust through with any method that removes all the rust if the pits were deep enough, wouldn't you?
    Or (like often happens) am I missing something?

Joe

6. luke13

luke13

with the electrolysis method would you remove the lead from your panels 1st? i hate lead with avengence.

7. 66tintop

66tintop
    from Canada

Chemical dipping on my body shell and panels was awesome ! I didn't think $2000.00 was very expensive at all for super clean metal, I know it's not in everyone's budget , but it sure beats the hell out rust,caulking , lead, paint, sound deadner and so on. I would do it again in a flash!

8. oldcarguygazok

oldcarguygazok
    from AUSTRALIA.

Once you use Citric Acid,you will never go back to Mollases,this stuff comes in crystals,it's enviro friendly ,no mess,no smell and the results are amazing,hope this helps, Gaz!

Mahty likes this.
  9. silversink

silversink

I use a stock tank that isn't steel construction. That gives me a 3' by 4' area to work in, I use the 300 gal size

10. Mahty

Mahty

I know this thread has been done for awhile, but I'll still chime in. I thought molasses was a crazy idea, but I thought I'd try it anyway and was super impressed! I used phosphoric acid with good results. Sand blasting and lots of grinding / sanding. This is much easier. I mixed it 1:9 with water and after two weeks everything was clean. Next is to set up a spray / drip system for my main body.
    Mah