Register now to get rid of these ads!

Series 60 shifter, B&M, Imperial Services? Update.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by landseaandair, Dec 29, 2010.

1. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

I thought of calling I.S. http://www.imperialservices.net/ to ask about the repops they are supposed to be making but it's late and they are probably closed. Does anybody have any info on these or pictures?

Here's an original for reference.

bm60.jpg

Last edited: Jan 6, 2011
  2. choke

choke

I went on their website to see about these shifters. I couldn't find any information about them. If you call them post what info they give you.

3. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Yea, I've just heard rumors over and over and never think to call them. I did contact B&M and asked if they have ever considered re releasing it. They said yes, but after doing a study, they found there was almost no demand for it and to re tool it would cost hundreds of thousands of dollars. So no deal.

4. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Here's the scoop. I called Imperial and got the rundown from Steve and it looks like an authentic automatic shifter for the nostalgia crowd is finally here.
    They have most of the parts made and the boxes are being plated but we will have to wait a bit longer for the finished product. It looks like a really nice unit and seems to be priced fairly, considering their very adamant about producing it entirely in the U.S. The rest is below.

Here's images of the prototype with stainless case, production units will be chromed steel. Comes with black round ball but a clear ball with embedded logo may be a possibility later on. All hardware and transmission brackets are stainless, steel shifter and gate plates will most likely be (yellow) zinc dichromate plated. Cables are their own heavy duty versions and will be 5', custom lengths available at minimal extra cost. It is set up "front exit" but they are developing a rear exit as well. This and other variations, reverse lock outs, etc. have kept the project from release for nearly 4 years. They should be built this spring.

The shifters are expected to start around $350.00 and a waiting list has already started.

Prototype.JPG Prototype 2.JPG

Prototype 3.JPG Prototype 4.JPG

brut4s likes this.

5. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

The original ended that way too and yes, they are gated.

6. hog mtn dave

hog mtn dave

I have one of those shifters hanging on the shop wall. Never been used, but I'm not sure all the pieces are there. I know the cable isn't. Thought it was cool, but didn't know exactly what it was.

7. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Afternoon bump for anybody interested.

8. ***Area-51***

***Area-51***
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Ohio

good news, price is a little stiff but no suprise...been hearing rumors about these forever...

9. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Yea, it's pricey but fair if you consider their a small company and probably won't come close to the big names volume of sales, and as I also mentioned earlier, they seem to make it very clear on their site that all their products are built in the U.S. and not farmed out overseas. You can probably tell, I'm pretty jazzed and although it works like a swiss watch, I can't wait to get rid of the sore thumb of a Pro Stick I currently have.

10. hog mtn dave

hog mtn dave

Is this the same one?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rat Sass likes this.
  11. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Exactly, and a very nice one at that, even the boot is in tact! They had two styles of cases, older versions mounted by the case itself and later on they more resembled the Imperial version. Yours also has a reverse pattern and the neat clear knob. I believe the originals were a revised Mopar shifter and even had a similar knob (softer plastic), black with dimpled aluminum inserts on the sides.

12. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

I've thought of that too, but It's just not the same. If I did do something like that, the old Hurst Auto/Stick is a better candidate. Seen one before and it turned out pretty sharp.

13. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Just trying to get the word out, think of me as a "cheer leader" for cool parts.

Rat Sass likes this.
  14. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Is this shifter going to have TF and C-6 Specific gates, or is it a "one gate fits all" deal?

15. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

They are currently set up for TorqueFlite but are developing more applications in reverse and forward patterns. Re engineering for different applications should just involve transmission brackets and a gate plate.

16. ***Area-51***

***Area-51***
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Ohio

yes I agree, I'll be looking at these for sure......for now I have quick click I'm going to detail and fab a b&m 60 style box, add a lock out.....somebody here had pics of one they awhile back, it turned out NICE!

17. ***Area-51***

***Area-51***
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Ohio

<HR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #e5e5e5; COLOR: #e5e5e5" SIZE=1> <!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->
    "Is this the same one?"

aw, thats gross , where did you find that? whattA tease

18. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

As long as they do a different gate plate. B&M and hurst have had a nasty habit of using the same gate plate, and just re-working the trans bracket.

19. Rat Sass

Rat Sass

Apologies in advance for dragging up such an old thread but does anyone have any updated info on these shifters? I tried calling them & got a machine but a message hasn't generated any response. Anybody?

20. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

I always used the Series 60 shifters in my Bracket Cars; shows you how long it's been since my last drag car. I'd sold a partnership deal to a fella, him buying the engine/trans in the car (BBC/Powerglide). The very first pass he blew the @#$%^&* out of the engine. I'm still not sure what he did, i was't watching at the time, but I'm pretty sure he flat over revved it. When I got to the car to tow it back, the Series 60 shifter was bent over 45 degrees away from the driver (NO exacturation). One pass cost him a grand, but I helped him out to recoup some of his costs. i am Butch/56sedandelivery.

Just Gary and Rat Sass like this.