Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Serial number verification

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by King ford, May 15, 2019.

1. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

greetings fellow HAMBers!...this may have been discussed before but things in life and especially government agencies are in a constant state of flux. I am wondering if there is a relatively simple way to verify the last registered owner of a car. We all know the drill, a parts car is for sale by someone your about 99% sure you trust without a title but with a bill of sale..... I live in New Jersey and the parts car I'm interested in is in Pennsylvania if that makes any difference. As always any help you HAMB brothers ( and sisters!) can give me ( and I'm sure others can benefit as well!) will be greatly appreciated!

2. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You should start with the New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission. They will tell you what you need to do to get a title for your car as I'm assuming a title is what you are after.

All states handle this differently except for the major pain in the ass part--every state requires that.​

King ford likes this.
  3. Pennsylvania 6-5000
    Call PA DMV and find out if they can do a VIN(serial number) search to see of the vehicle is legit.
    I have done it in GA and FL with mixed results.

King ford likes this.
  4. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

Thanks for the info guys!

5. oldolds

oldolds

In PA a car that has not been registered for 5 years will be out of the system. I doubt even then if you can call, you need a legal reason. A police officer can access these numbers. There is also some way to look up older vehicles, you need a better reason, ie. estate lawyer, something to do with serious crime, ect.

6. rztrike

rztrike

Call a local PA state police department where the car is located. Ask to speak to a PA DOT inspection officer. The one who helped me was in Embreeville Barracks, Southeastern PA. Explain what your wanting to do. They may want to visit the car to personally verify the numbers and they will send a verification that the vin is legit (hopefully it is) which then you can take to your DOT and get a Title in your state. There is no cost involved. They have been very helpful the 3 times I have needed to check Vin numbers in order to get a Title
    Hope this helps

7. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

you better ask the owner first if you can do this, his answer can tell you a lot.

ClayMart likes this.