Register now to get rid of these ads!

Serial # and MVC

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Daddy's Toy, Apr 15, 2013.

1. Daddy's Toy

Daddy's Toy
    from Pburg NJ

If you have a serial number for a vehicle and you make a rubbing of it plus document it in photographs, is that enough to get you a title at the Motor Vehicle Commission? Never had to do this before.

BTW: creating "raking light" (light at a sharp angle beside something rather than down on it) is excellent for getting raised or recessed objects to stand out clearly (such as stamped serial numbers).

2. Pop-Rodder

Pop-Rodder

Not in my state. I had to haul the frame down to the DMV, and they had to verify the numbers.

3. ASK THEM!!!!

The MVC will be the ones who ultimately will approve (or not) your title, so, ASK THEM!!!

Yet, this time, do ask yourself first:

Would YOU give yourself a title based on what you are ready to provide??
    If other words, if I were to do a rubbing of the VIN on your late-model, would you appreciate the MVC giving ME a title to IT?? Which is what you are asking.

Cosmo

4. aonemarine

aonemarine
    from Delaware

I just went thru this, call me, I put my number in your intro thread. My vicky was a nightmare to get the title changed from nj to de.
    Oh and to get the rubbing, you will find it easier and better if you rub charcoal into the stamping then pull it out with tape. Just like lifting a finger print.