Register now to get rid of these ads!

September banger meet

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BHT8BALL, Sep 3, 2011.

1. All about moderation is the point I am getting Bill. I run a stock engine with the exception of the single downdraft. Higher compression heads seem to drastically shorten a "stock" engine's lifespan. Some of you guys build real trick engines beyond my mechanical grasp or budget. I am content with my "Banger". You say it like its a bad thing and it may have been like how the term HOT ROD was before Wally Parks legitimized it. But today if I say "flathead" people think V8, if I say "banger" they think 4 cylinder and this comes from the amount of "modern" imports and the relative nature of them having 4 cylinders. When I say Gow-Job or Hop-Up people look at me like wtf? Only a handful of people in a crowd would even make the connection I was talking about a car even.

I just enjoy driving my car and its plenty fast enough for the driving I do. Any faster in my death trap and I am sure I would be going faster then my angel can fly. Buddy following behind me in a "modern" once told me I was going 70mph+ downhill and the other Hamber next to me in my coupe was kinda freaking out about how fast it was. I shrugged my shoulders and said we're not even going that fast in comparison with what the old timers did 80 years ago.

My girl enjoys my passion about "Bangers" as I do her love of "Kustums" and she could careless how my money is spent as long as I prioritize the necessities first over my hobbies. Engine blows eh build it stonger the next time, we have the technology plus 80 some odd years of failures and successes to learn from.-Weeks

2. Old expression, "If the shoe fits, wear it!"

3. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

My G-mom use to tell people I ''fixed up wrecks''

4. Scott Miller

Scott Miller
    from Tampa, Fla

I have a photo of a Record valve cover somewhere, but that is all. I would be interested in learning more about this as well.

5. I met a guy from Sweden that had one, said he thought it was a copy of a Cragar. He sent a photograph to S O S S I met him at the Hot Rod Reunion at Famosa one year, he was with Rosie who introduced us, then he showed up at the Antique Nationals picnic and then the LA roadster show. Wore brown oxfords with black socks as I remember, kinda stuck out in the crowd. He later sent me a photograph from Sweden with the engine mocked up in a roadster. Lost contact.

6. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

Ever though about runnin a little 2 stroke oil in your gas? I do it with all my flatheads. Had same problem in one of mine, and since a little oil in the fuel, the problem went away.

7. A few weeks ago Bluto gave me a good tip on maybe solving my flooding Zeniths. He suggested a "Grose Jet" which is a two ball float valve. I did order up two for my new edition Zeniths (still made in the USA) which are direct replacements for the Model A. The jets arrived today but they are much too large for the valve seat opening. What I need and can't find by checking Google, is a Grose Jet with what looks like a 5/16" dia. threaded bore(?). Any help finding a source for these would be a great help.
    Thanks, Ron :confused:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 12, 2011
  8. The37Kid

The37Kid

Great! Please post it here so everyone else can see what one looks like.Best wishes, Bob:)

9. Find some one that has volume 9 #3 of S O S S magazine. The guy from sweden said French or possible Italian. I will look it up myself tomorrow AM.

10. I have VOLUME 3 #1 and #2 but not #3 danget otherwise I would post a pic of the photos your asking for. Got a stack of SOSS from a Model A club member recently who was scared shitless by Rosie Rousell in his modified shortly before he passed. Story goes he was in a real hurry to give the ride cause his wife woulda killed him if she found him out tooling around haha. He told the passenger it was due to him being legally blind and not having a license anymore. Old Racers never die! Godspeed.-Weeks

11. Read it again Weeks 46, it is Volume 9 #3! Ask your S O S S friend about the Winner's eye that Rosie had.

12. Record head photos if you want to see them better and the read article buy or borrow the mag! Sure looks like a cragar. The title of the article was "The Italian Stallion"

Attached Files:

13. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

is that "T" or "A" ? ........................ steve

14. If you are referring to the Record it is for the A or B block, If you are referring to another kind of T n A I'm with you but like I said, find some old fart that has the magazine and read the article! I keep stressing this because it has my name in it! LOL!

15. The37Kid

The37Kid

OK, Thanks Bill! I'm a buyer if someone has an extra copy. Best wishes, Bob:)

16. Go here ! http://www.secretsofspeed.com/BACKISSUES.htm There is an index to all of the articles and letters plus back issues that are available.

17. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

Hey Bill will you sign by book? :)
    [​IMG]

18. T__N__A

T__N__A

I have a similar OHV conversion. I know its not a miller/ cragar but im not sure the exact brand. I was told it might be an ambler or alexander but I have not seen it in any publications. Two of the obvious differences is the distributor is mounted to the valve cover and not a separate stand. The other is the location of the oil inlet in the front of the head. My grandpa bought it on eBay years ago and I brought it back to life a couple months ago. Does anyone have any info on this head or know what it might be? Thanks.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 13, 2011
  19. class 'A'

class 'A'
    from Casper,Wyo

While we are on the topic of cool neato stuff. Anyone know anything about Mallory distributors for an 'A'? I just picked up a core engine that 'ran' and it had one. Also came with a B casting on the A head. Was it a compression designation?
    Just looking for some insight.

Thanks
    Mike
    new back to old

20. T N A,
    I seem to remember that type of distributor mounting on an Alexander head but the one my friend had was a crossflow head. I'm sure C Yapp has something on the head. Some trivia for you! One evening, several years back, I was headed for the "Run to the SUN" carshow at Lake Havasu, Az with my car on the trailer. We had stopped at a market in 29 palms for something and I waited in the parking lot. A tall thin guy came walking by and stopped and said, "My dad and my uncle used to make parts for cars like that" He then told me that his father had been Colonel Alexander, who had manufactured of the Alexander Aristocrat head along with other racing parts. He told me after his father died that his mother was left with a "barn" full of parts but had sold the stuff to a "junkman" (his words) because people kept bugging her about the parts and were breaking in and stealing the stuff anyway. After a short "chat" he walked away as he apparently lived in the area.

BCCHOPIT,
    Take a number! Actually, at the time I resented being called an "old Timer" At that particular event there were four cars that were featured in Dain Gingerelli's book "Ford Hot Rods" and it was really something to have guys from foreign countries ask "Is that the car that is in in the book?" I saw the guy from Sweden at four different events, white legs in shorts, Brown shoes with Black socks, you could pick him out a block away! Nice guy, had his girlfriend with him. Also met guys from Australia, France, and Tom and I once did an interview for a Japanese car magazine and the equivalent of Hot Rod from France. Hows that for some trivia?

Last edited: Sep 14, 2011
  21. BHT8BALL

BHT8BALL

TNA, as you can see it's not an Alexander, no cigar! Pat

Attached Files:

22. class 'A'

class 'A'
    from Casper,Wyo

I have the mallory already. Although the humidity has taken it's toll on the under cap area and the cap/rotor didn't fit properly. Is it a decent unit to use? I'm guessing this one is also 6V.
    have to get the model off it tonight.

Mike
    Thanks

23. TNA--

Sorry, not an Alexander, as Pat said. Here's a pic of mine.

BUT, I sure would be interested in knowing what those rocker arm stands are off of. I had to make some.:eek:

Attached Files:

24. T N A,
    The Ambler had 2 1/32 intakes and 1 25/32 exhaust according to some old literature from S O S S Very poor photograph, cover looks different can't see the rocker oil line in the photo. Also, everyone should go to the link provided for some eye candy

http://www.nwvs.org/Technical/Engines/EngineModelABThumbs.shtml

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 14, 2011
  25. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

I picked up a nice B distributor today
    [​IMG]

26. BCCHOPIT,

Your aren't really planning on using that old outdated poorly engineered distributor are you? I think it would be better if you would send it to me so I can see that it is disposed of properly.

27. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

I was thinking if I was going to go as fast or faster then you. I needed one

28. kirby1374

kirby1374

I bought a B distributor that was of similar condition. I couldn't get the advance to advance. Any tricks?

29. FS ignitions can replace and recurve the advance with new parts. Did you try cleaning and oiling it?