Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical *** September 2015 Banger Meet - Shadows Getting Longer in the North ***

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jiminy, Sep 1, 2015.

1. The short shaft has the male tab similar to what the oil pump has. The bottom end of the Henry shaft will mate to the bottom of the Mallory shaft.

I drove the pin out of the A shaft, but the whole shaft came out (rotor button to oil pump is one piece).

The housing looks long, but the lower boss and the retaining groove appears to be correct. It would just raise the body up over the head more than stock...

2. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

do you have any female to female a shafts ? there is more than one way to skin a cat ..........
    I can give you one .

3. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

I am going to run one of those on my coupe. The adjustable advance is nice to have. I found the same issue with the part number being for a single point model. I am excited to see how it works.

4. So there IS such a thing?!?! That would rock!

5. [​IMG]
    This is what you need. You should be able pick it up from Bert's, Snyders etc..... It's the stock A style. The long shaft is aftermarket stuff. It give a ujoint of sorts in the distributer drive. It should only cost you a couple bucks

6. Thanks for the info, Tiny!

I guess there is a kit to convert a single-points unit to dual-points?? Or could you get a 2301105 with dual-points?

7. I would not worry about converting to dual point set up. On a Banger it just doesn't have much effect.
    The motor doesn't go fast enough to require it.

J

8. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

if you cant find the shaft , let me know & ill put one in the mail

brett4christ likes this.
  9. My Mallory already has the dual points, so I'll run with it!

10. Thanks! I'll keep you posted!

11. I forget where I got them, but I have safety glasses that are also 2X.

12. I also have a pair that I use when I'm doing intricate grinding. I picked them up from the steel supplier in my area. I really use them all the time! (NEVER want to grind too deep!):eek:

13. I just looked, mine are mail order from Deluth trading company

14. A BONED

A BONED

l've been having problems with my model B banger popping head gaskets with water in the oil. I thought that l may have had a crack in the block but the block has checked out okay, the original cast iron Winfield head l'm using is crack free also. My block has been punched out 0.100' and the two steam vent holes in the block deck surface between 2 and 3 cylinder have been plugged. It turn out the head gasket l've been using while clearing the block surface well, hangs in the breeze in sections when fitted over the Winfield head, resulting in a poor seal. I have included some images which may make things easier to understand. Would you guys know if there is a suitable gasket to use with an original 6:1 Winfield head?
    20150926_160414.jpg 20150926_162725.jpg

15. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

im sure some one makes one . try "best gasket" or Charlie yapp .

16. colinsmithson

colinsmithson

A Boned 1st the gasket your showing is a B gasket Winfield heads use A Model Gaskets and you need to match the Gasket to the Head
    That said not all A gaskets match up to a Winfield Head
    I have far collection of Head Gaskets if you bring the head over we should be able to match a gasket to the head
    Colin

17. A BONED

A BONED

Thanks Colin, that sounds like a good plan of attack. I'll be in touch amigo.

18. ROCKER77

ROCKER77

Don't forget the Model A swap meet tomorrow in Devore.

Attached Files:

19. A BONED

A BONED

Thanks for the flyer Rocker77, might be a little too far for me to travel.
    I appreciate the good word though.

20. nosdan

nosdan

What advance should I set my magneto at? Mag is a in adjustable 13deg at 1,250rpm. Thanks

21. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

ok , I presume it is in a banger . mine has the 9*-12* lag . I set it at 25* total . this is where im going to start .

22. orangeamcs

orangeamcs

I finally got my banger set up and running pretty well with the b carbs and distributor. I set my initial timing around 15 degrees to get my total between 25 and 30 degrees. Timing seems to bounce around with the timing light a bit which makes is tough to read the exact. Car runs very well set up like this. My fuel pressure is around 2lbs and my carbs finally stopped leaking. Only thing I don't get is I have to choke it to get it to fire even after it has warmed up. Anyone have any insight to this problem. It has a.lion head and dual updrafts but I can't see that being a problem.
    Side note this thing rolls out pretty damn well in 3rd gear. Almost to the point it's scary for what it is.

Dannerr likes this.
  23. nosdan

nosdan

Yeah A banger. I have it around 11 now. Thanks

24. Back when we didn't know about lag angles and too much advance we set them to where the engine just didn't quite kick back when starting. I was going to say cranking but the people that parse every word would really jump on that as dangerous.

hotrodfil likes this.
  25. Jiminy

Jiminy

26. lonewolf900

lonewolf900

Very Helpful on my Model A Speedster project

27. leroux

leroux
    from SoCAl

Anyone running a quick change in their banger open drive?

28. Hi, you should post this on the Nov. meet.:D