Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical *** September 2015 Banger Meet - Shadows Getting Longer in the North ***

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jiminy, Sep 1, 2015.

1. Tried pressurizing by air gun?

Keep 'em kruzin!
    Dannerr

2. 97

Just bolt it all on and add a decent exhaust manifold/system and drive the wheels off it. Maybe later on add a B cam , and lighten flywheel, if you stop there it should give you years of fun with little trouble.;)
    HOWEVER we all know , as hotrodders we can't leave well enough alone... more is ALWAYS better...
    pressure oiling ,insert bearings , counterweights, balancing, stroking ,big bore, higher yet compression, big valves, adjustable lifters, ohv conversion, supercharger, five speed, overdrive,quickchange, better brakes, wheels, dropped axle....where does it end ?:rolleyes::mad:

kevinwalshe, fine29 and waxhead like this.
  3. colinsmithson

colinsmithson

On B engines I generally pump oil in via the 1/8 npt port on the side block just before start up primes the mains and oil pump

4. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

yes I tried that . im thinking oil pump now . filter is full , filled the oil lines , pan is full . makes no sense to me .......... steve

Last edited: Sep 11, 2015

5. Have you fired it up? Unless it is not an A B or modified early V8 the pump should be sitting in the oil. Shouldn't need to prime. What oil pump are you using?

6. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

modified V8 pump , but is submerged in oil . pump turns , but no oil pressure . everything seems to be correct .
    just baffled ...........

7. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Are you turning it the right direction?

8. hardtimesainit

hardtimesainit

Ok, then try spinning the pump. Take the plug out of block to let air/oil to exit freely. Make a long tool, i.e.- one that will mate to pump stem. Attach tool to a drill motor and spin pump , while watching for pressure to exit oil hole on side of block. This will tell you, at least, if you pump is working. I have and am using same 59AB V8 modified pump. Do not know who modified yours and / or haven't seen it. So, it is hard to say, if it does not pump when spun, what may be amiss. My pump intake is at bottom and intake hole must be clear. I am sure that you are aware that the cam/pump drive must be removed to do this spinning test. BTW, it is best to spin test oil pump for proper operation in a container , prior to installation. Note: did you install/put a screen of any kind over the pump inlet ?

9. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

ok , can not spin oil pump as it is geared to the cam . yes correct direction . going to pull pan & see whats up . oil is every where but no pressure . I have pre lubed the motor . something small im sure . thanks all . ill let you know what I find ...................... steve

10. This is a Chevy oil pump mounted in a coffee can with a hose and barbed/NPT ends. Just fill the can with oil . Plumb the fitting into side cover or oil filter inlet side and spin the pump with a drill, It'll push the oil through the oil filter, cam bearings, drilled crankshaft, everything! and push out all air bubbles. You should then be safe to start the engine. Keep an eye on the oil pressure gauge, it should jump up to the preset regulator pressure. If not, Shut it down!
    You have other problems.
    Good luck with it.
    Joe
    [​IMG]

11. Check the clearance of bottom plate to the pump gears, It should be close like .001
    Not rubbing but just spinning free.
    I would also get rid of the gasket! (They blow out sometimes, and loose pressure!)

Last edited: Sep 11, 2015
  12. On the oil pump, you might need to do some machining, if it locks up after removing the gasket.
    Joe

13. colinsmithson

colinsmithson

May be try a different gauge

14. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

the oil pump is the one that has been in the motor . thinking I indexed the pump & covered the pressure hole ...... thanks again ........... steve

15. Dustyp489

Dustyp489

Michael_e Did any one answer you ? If not let me know and I will get the your answwer , I know you will also have to cut the t-5 nose and install a v8 cluth and cut the A flywheel down

16. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

I believe my steel adapter is 1" thick . my clutch disc has a s-10 center . makes it ez ......... steve

17. Juggler

Juggler

Does anybody know anything about Vulcan inlet manifolds? Who made them? When?

This was on a buddy's wall for a long time, and for a long time I was trying to buy it off him. Needless to say, when it came time for him to sell I wasn't about or wasn't watching, and it went out into Bangerland here in the UK.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fast forward about six months and I was talking to a fellow VHRA member who had just bought a Zephyr single downdraft (looks like the Ansen presently being repopped) at the All Ford Rally in Gaydon. He mentioned that the original one he had bought was up for grabs. Guess what? A swap for some other parts was done and it's now on my truck.

Not seen one like it before

Many thanks

Juggs

Last edited: Sep 12, 2015
    winduptoy likes this.
  18. 1932tub

1932tub

I had exactly the same thing happen with my B motor, I modified a V8 pump and it wouldn't prime/ pump.
    I put the B pump back in which pumps over 60 when cold then drops off to almost nothing when hot.
    I have modified the engine for full pressure oil. I will be watching to see if anyone has a solution.

19. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

Holy crap!!!! what happened to August????

Nothing new to my car but I did make up this true bolt on banger tune up kit. Ready to ship to North Carolina ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1442096391.106394.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1442096429.524797.jpg

waxhead and hot-irons like this.
  20. hot-irons

hot-irons

Find of the day, N.O.S. dual port Chevy head. Its still out there fellas!

Attached Files:

Jet96 and waxhead like this.
  21. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My low oil pressure problems with a hot engine and a pressurized system (Rileys article) have been too big a leak to somewhere in the engine the way it was pressurized. The oil line to the Miller OHV rockers is one that comes to mind. An inline restrictor helped with that one. Another is the size of the groove at the top of the oil pump. Too deep and it will loose pressure there when hot

As for the V8 oil pump not pumping, I understand the pump requires a modification as the rotation in the 4 cyl application is opposite that of the original V8. If not performed, that would make one not pump

Larry

22. 1932tub

1932tub

Yes I altered the V8 pump for reverse rotation.

23. Does anyone sell just the arm for a dual carb intake. Mine is a burns but the look pretty universal. I see them on repop manifolds but not separate.

24. Michael_e

Michael_e

Thanks Skip & Steve for the info and yes I've got my t-5 adapter question answered.

25. VERY nice find :)!

hot-irons likes this.
  26. An Alexander!! I have one like that. That's one of the few other ones that I've seen. Speedy Bill's museum has one and there's one in Great Britain. Have any pics of the rocker arm assembly, oiling plumbing , and rocker shaft stands? Would appreciate any help.

27. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

took the motor apart . found no reason for no oil pressure . tried the pump in a bucket of oil , pumps great . maybe a blocked passage . got me by the short hairs !

28. leroux

leroux
    from SoCAl

Just a quick pic of mine at the mooneyes open house. She's running good ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1442245251.409357.jpg

ROCKER77, waxhead and winduptoy like this.
  29. I finally found a roadster body for my A chassis. Maybe this winter I will have time to get started on it in earnest. I think I might call it the Tupperware Special, since its going too built out of all the leftovers I have laying around :D
    [​IMG]

30. jkeesey

jkeesey

Got my new carb tuned in halfway decent and she can boogie.

Attached Files: