Register now to get rid of these ads!

Sept issue Street Rodder...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by T-Roy, Jul 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

Really? I have people PM me all the time asking why you directly feel the need to hit and run me regularly when I wasn't event talking to you or about you (I get it when I'm "debating" with someone else). I don't get it either- but figured it was about time to mention it. Maybe I missed the smileys?

2. Maybe Kirk's magic shoe elves took them? :p

JH

3. Aaron51chevy

Aaron51chevy

Hahaha that's funny, I like the latest R&C with that cool Starliner with that guy who's a Snuggler, who is that?:D

4. hemi

hemi

Fonzie likes ads, too.

5. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

All of this in the background...

Um... fellas... we are all car guys... that means we have a lot in common and share many of the same common beliefs... None of us can be THAT bad. Drop the attacks.

And to the fake Kevin Lee :), I'll admit it... I picked up the last issue of R&C and... well... it was pretty damn good.

6. Jim, I will send you a PM, I never have meant any ill intent towards you:).

I dig the coverage on the Austin guys in that issue as well, congrats!

7. T-Roy

T-Roy

This is exactly true. A thread gone in a completely different direction than was intended. And I do advertise the HAMB whenever I have the opportunity, because not only do I believe in most of the content, but I have met some damn fine people here on the HAMB. And there are plenty more I have yet to meet, but can tell by their posts they are good people. Regardless of what I think of their beliefs.

8. Plowboy

Plowboy

Oh, so now you are telling us that time has weight!!! Ha Ha Ha

9. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

I'm gonna start putting "Street Rodder" in all my thread titles.......

10. I don't have a problem with legit on topic ads in any magazine,
    but when the "Tech articles" are just "how to bolt on these free parts",
    I lose interest real quick.Especially when the same parts are "featured"
    every month.

When the end user (reader),of any business,is an after thought in the process,
    things go down hill. Classic 21st century North American big business.

Fuck the greedy Corporate Weasels.

11. true but there wouldnt be as many goodies out there. people would of done there homework on the products but nothing reaches people better than a ad. would ford have survived with out ads maybe, maybe not. even the cars in streetrod, r&c, hot rod etc are advertisments. we have all fallen victim to adds in one way or another. but any who they are covering more traditional rods becaue thats what is in. just like they cover tbuckets when they were in, and "contemorary rods" when they started, and so on and so on.

12. 5window

5window

OOH, we're really skirting the thin line of respect for others' opinions here. I smell closure. Marketing,advertising,merchandising are all survival methods. The bigs mags need to do it to survive when the 'net has so changed their world. Newspapers are worse off, but we still need them. I read everything I can, ignore whatever I don't want to see.

The money to support any media source, whether SRM or HAMB must come from somewhere. Read them if you want.The original post only wanted to point out, if you didn't know, that there was a good issue out.

13. 5window

5window

One wonders just how many Mustang II IFS or Air bag suspension articles are really necessary-or even interesting. But I do prefer the articles, even if they feature advertiser's products, that say ":we wanted to build this. We used these parts. This is what we did and what it will cost YOU to do it." Car Craft is pretty good about this even if they are not traditional rodding.

14. DBAG

DBAG

I have to agree on this one, I subscribed for one year in 2006 (21.95 or some super good offer like that so no harm, no foul!)

15. Agreed,but when there is insufficient substance to justify the advertising,
    the whole deal becomes a Product Placement exercise.

---
    When "industry leaders" sell multi-year subscriptions,
    for less than the cost of postage, you know something is up.

The Tail is wagging the Dog,and has been for a while now.
    Subscription numbers and ad rates are down.

See any connection ???

16. [​IMG]

Same logic.

Big and flashy doesn't make it good.

17. 5window

5window

Absolutely. In the end, if the content won't support the price, no matter how cheaply it's done, even the American consumer will see the light and the product will disappear.

18. metalshapes

metalshapes

When I still had my 14 subs to Car Magazines, they stayed un-opened for longer and longer after they arrived.

I figured I needed to change something.
    So I dropped 13 subs, kept 1, and got 1 new one that I thought I couldn't afford before.

Because I realised the real investment isn't so much what I pay for the Book, its the time I spend reading it...

If I'm the only person that feels that way, the Magazine Industry has nothing to worry about.

19. FritzTownFord

FritzTownFord

My last post on this - but since I kinda fanned the flames on Ryan let me clairify:
    1.The Jalopy Journal and the HAMB are truely valuable and amazing accomplishments (just wish I had done'em first!). But it's apples and oranges. Websites have no printing costs, shipping costs, newsstand buy backs, no editorial and production staff budgets. Advertising pays for all that. You did have the great sense and so, the luxury to maintain a narrrow (usually) audience focus which magazines can rarely afford.
    2. It is not fair to imply that the writers of print magazines don't have just as much passion for the cars and the hobby as you because they work for a major publishing company. In fact it takes more passion to stay and put up with the kind corporate insanity that passes for today's publishing world.
    3. And as for "Wally"? I also knew Wally and I can tell you that the NHRA and National Dragster were, and are, nothing if not MONEY MACHINES! They fueled the big buck sponsor programs and became show business, period. Pay or don't play.
    4. You might be interested to know that Street Rodder Magazine had its highest revenue year in history in 2007 and 2008 is doing great as well.

Finally, no hard feelings to anybody on this thread - I LOVE the fact that any of us can give our opinions and take em' too. And T-Roy, geez we really stomped your good words into the boards! Sorry for that.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2008
  20. Spike!

Spike!

Ha Ha Ha Ha....That was funny.

Spike

21. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

...I do, but then...I'm biased.:)

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  22. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

Damn...how come every time there's a post with a magazine in the title, the voice in my head yells "GRENADE!" and I feel the urge to dive under my desk?

Seems like with most things, the passionate fall into two categories: The idealists, and the pragmatists.

-Brad

23. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

It's all about art and style. Style becomes popular and then begets anti-style which begets anti-anti-style which.....well, you get the point.

Thanks, Kirk for stating so in your first post what I was thinking but could never have said as well. The "rebel" community does seem to have a lot of rules. That "fundalmentalist" comment someone else made was just a perfect way of stating the same truth.

Anyone who puts down Goodguys just doesn't get it, Kirk. They were the rebels 25 years ago. I know from the personal perspective of being Gary's only vendor at what must have been his first show...in the Yuba City Municipal park 1981 (wasn't called Goodguys yet, drew 50 or 60 cars). The name must have been chosen because of comparison to NSRA... Gary was indeed a good guy to do business with and real car guy. Example...it's considered cool in this community now to hot rod a bathtub Nash...Gary built the first one 13-14 years ago when it "wasn't cool"..

That said, I love this place. The real rebels in this community are breaking a lot of rules and that rarely ever happened in the sheep rodder world.

I don't buy any magazine that I can't thumb through first. If it's got more good than bad, maybe I buy. But if you choose to stay away from it because of the perceived bad part....you lose.

24. metalshapes

metalshapes

25. You are not the only one. Guaranteed.
    Two car magazines I used to buy every month are no longer produced.
    And it is not because there is "no market".

I would like to think some of the long over due changes
    in some magazines are a sign the tide has turned.

But it will be tough,for them,to bring back lost readers.

26. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

I find that fascinating, considering many of us feel the NHRA lost its way so many years ago when it started catering to the Pro classes at the complete cost of the grass-roots racers that built the organization. A national event today is nothing but Top Fuel Dragster, Funny Car and Pro Stock, with whatever else happens to fit the schedule. There are far, far too many parallels in the history of magazines and the history of NHRA, from their roots to what they are today, for me to look at that quote as anything but hypocrisy.

-Brad

27. Weasel

Weasel

Life is about choices. If you don't like it, don't buy it. If you are not sure, don't subscribe, check it out at the newsstand/supermarket and pay the premium when you find an issue you do like.

Dead simple, so why complicate a simple matter by slagging the magazine off?

28. metalshapes

metalshapes

Maybe I'm just too fanatical about Magazines to just let it go...

I've done long distance moves with large numbers of them.
    I have regular discussions with my Wife, about where to keep them all.

Maybe I just miss being the Kid that hung on every word Ganahl, Baskerville, Buttera, Doug Nye, and many others put on paper....

29. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Hahahaha......me too man....most of mine ended up getting thrown on the ol' burn pile.:eek:
    Once I started going through 'em, most of the tech in 'em was just regurgitated year after year....

30. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Learn about Wally and the history of the NHRA before saying that... He had very little to do with the NHRA as it grew into modern times.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.