Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Sending unit problem

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Nov 6, 2018.

1. squirrel

squirrel

did you measure the resistance of the sending unit, and use some resistors to test the instrument, to see what it reads at what resistance?

I guess you could keep ordering parts, instead. :)

firstinsteele likes this.
  2. Jim,I called Classic Instruments and had a interesting conversation with their tech advisor and I told him which gauge that is in the car and he told me the correct sending unit and backed it up with if it doesn't work he would pay for it. HRP

deucemac likes this.
  3. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

4. Got another sending unit coming, got my fingers crossed! :D HRP

Last edited: Nov 10, 2018
  5. Test it out of the tank with an ohm meter. Then test the gauge with a gas gauge tester, I bought one off ebay but someone on here made one. Basically it's a rheostat with a gauge or you can use your meter.

Here's pricey OTC @ $210

[​IMG]

6. That's a little pricey. HRP

7. brokedownbiker

brokedownbiker
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I feel your pain, HRP, I'm in the midst of upgrading from the 6 volt gauges on my '51 and I need to figure out what sending unit is in my tank- the tank and sender were replaced when the car was still 6 volt positive ground. It has been working okay with 12v conversion and voltage reducer but now I am putting a new 12v wiring harness in it and going to an under-dash fuel gauge. Just about all the aftermarket gauges are set up to use GM senders and I'm not sure what I will end up with for a sender.
    Good luck buddy!

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  8. This taught me a lesson, a seemingly simple repair and go awry if you don't take the time to make sure you are using the right combination of parts. HRP

upspirate likes this.
  9. Fixed?

Ben

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  10. Yes Ben, the third time was the charm, after the tank was reinstalled the small amount of gas that was drained out was put back in the tank and the gauge barely moved, added 20 dollars worth of ethanol free and it shows over a half a tank.

One more thing to scratch off the to do list. HRP

firstinsteele likes this.
  11. Glad it worked out. Can you share the Classic Instruments number with us?

Phil

HOTRODPRIMER and jim snow like this.
  12. Yes sir. HRP

Classic Instruments Tech line - 844-342-8437

13. Sorry, I was looking for the sending unit part number that he guaranteed would work with your Ford dash gauge, and it did work.

Phil

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  14. Sorry about that Phil, I wrote the information down on a note pad at the shop so that won't be a problem.

I will get back with you tomorrow with the part number. HRP

15. The number I have on the receipt is a Summit part # CIN- SN35 Tank sender 240 OHM W/ F

The empty box is in the truck of the coupe and when I get home I will post that number also. HRP

16. Slopok

Slopok

Danny, are you using this sender with the original gas gauge or an after market one?:confused:

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  17. I am using the sending unit with my Classic gauge.

18. Slopok

Slopok

19. After reading you question I went back and looked at Phil's inquiry and wanted to make sure he didn't get the wrong information, this sending unit is not for the original Ford gas gauge but the aftermarket Classic gas gauge.HRP

Slopok likes this.
  20. Ok, I misunderstood. I thought you were using the OE dash gauge.

Phil

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  21. Slopok

Slopok

So did I.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  22. Sorry I mislead you guys. HRP

23. Slopok

Slopok

Now that we've got that cleared up, does anyone know what sending unit will work with the stock gauge and tank on a 12 volt system?
    Also is some type of resistor needed as well?

Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
    HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  24. I was under the impression the sending unit didn't car if it was 6 or 12 volt, the OHM's was what's important. HRP

25. Well, mine is a BUICK. When it graduated to 12V the sending unit remained. Installed a voltage reducer in front of the fuel gauge.

Ben