Register now to get rid of these ads!

Sending unit float direction.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by grf-x, Jul 15, 2012.

1. grf-x

grf-x

Plenty of post in fuel sending units and floats. I couldn't find anything I was looking for.

I have a 1951 ford custom 4 door. A bob drake repop of the original tank. and an after market fuel sending unit/float.

Okay... my stupid arse forgot to make note of how the fuel sending unit was installed in my tank.

I am referring to direction the float is pointing in relation to the tank itself. I have a repop bob drake tank.

The filler neck is on the driver side near back. The sending unit is driver side toward the front. I am leaning more toward pointing it to tea of car since the location of the sending unit is more toward the front. Is this correct?

Thanks.

2. I wouldn't think it makes a difference as long as the float is not hitting the side are a baffle inside.

3. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

It is best to orient the arm of the sender so it runs sideways in the car as opposed to fore and aft. The reason is, as you accelerate and slow down the sloshing of gas can make the arm move up and down if it is facing fore or aft, but having it sideways takes some of that tendency out of it.

At least that is what I was always taught and heard.

Don

4. Exactly......In fact there was another post on HAMB that discussed why the guys gas gauge was fluctuation so badly on acceleration. Turned out that he had mounted the sending unit with the float arm parallel with the center line of the car

5. odins701

odins701

Ditto on that! If your left or right of center, aim towards center sideways.:)

6. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Maybe if the sender is mounted near the center. I think his is more foreward and should point the float straight back which would put the float near center.

7. grf-x

grf-x

All of you have really great points. On another forum I posted to... some one pointed out that the screw hole are not equally spaced and the alignment of said holes would dictate the way it supposed to be pointing. I have not tested this yet. I am out of the garage tonight, spending time with my son. I will update when I have a chance to verify. Thanks to all for replying.

8. odins701

odins701

i've seen that a lot.

9. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Yes the senders normally have 1 offset hole so can only mount one way.

10. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

I thought about that too but you mentioned an aftermarket sender, so I assumed it could be positioned at least 5 different ways.

I'm pretty sure the factory positioned it with the arm pointing rearward.

11. grf-x

grf-x

Since I am replacing the sender with a brand new unit, it would indeed be aftermarket. Positioning it rearward... well there is definitely room that way. after the boy goes to bed I am going back out to the garage and check. Gunna break out the digital caliper and check measurements between each hole just out of curiosity sake.

12. odins701

odins701

just rotate the gasket, you'll see the offset

13. Sending units,gaskets,and tank mount holes are made to align only one way...There's an SAE spec number for that.Can't recall where I saw it but ,I ran into it when I was searching for a tube-type sending unit & gaskets.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2012
  14. grf-x

grf-x

Okay, i have verified... the holes have to line up and there is not mistaken that it only aligns one way. So that was correct. This puts it pointing to the rear but at an angle. Thanks all. I appreciate it.