Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Selling your stash of parts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 41rodderz, Jul 12, 2020.

1. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Well I never heard back about your buddy having the glass patterns , so it’s still here with your name on the top of the list . (Drumming my thumbs ):p

2. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Exactly. Nobody wants the chaff even giving it away.

3. I feel most hambers took a brake buying..but people on FB are buying like crazy

lostmind, Squablow and 41rodderz like this.
  4. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I am at the point where I want it gone , so not worried about a profit. So I list for “even Steven” or at a loss and at that , then someone wants too give me another brush cut or decides I should pay for the shipping as well. My dang ears are getting lowered enough .:)

5. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I got fenders but I am not sure I want to bother listing them . I cringe when someone on the east coast asks what the shipping is.

6. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Those are very sought after Nomad parts. It would be criminal to unceremoniously dumpster them. List them locally at a really good price and I bet there's a Tri five guy (even if he doesn't have a Nomad) in the Sac area that would take them off his hands to use as trading stock.

There's a certain car enthusiast code that says you don't toss perfectly good parts. We have to remember how much searching and work it takes to find/buy parts - getting up at 3:00 AM and walking swap meets in crap weather, hours of searching online. There has to be some effort involved in getting rid of real decent stuff.

Squablow, Beanscoot and bchctybob like this.
  7. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

understand--trying to help him sell this stuff but he is ready to have it gone. I have reached out to a few folks but no response. He has built a few Nomads and is clearing out things. I have them in the HAMB parts section already. His other smaller stuff I have been able to sell and ship.

Hot Rods Ta Hell likes this.
  8. B Bay Barn

B Bay Barn

If you're still on the shelf about cleansing the garage check out Matt's video:
    Talk about a formidable task.

9. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

About 3 years ago I started selling off my old parts stash. Sold enough to fund my '32 build and I didn't cut any corners on that build. I didn't lose money on anything I sold. Mostly used Craig's List and Marketplace. I don't ship, period. Hand me cash and pick up your parts. I sold almost everything I had hoarded. Wheels, intakes, engine parts, carbs and complete engine and tranny cores.

When I sell, I keep a little spread sheet. Price I paid, price advertised and price sold for. When you make that list, it's scary how much you have sitting around in saleable parts.

SPark

bchctybob likes this.
  10. I don't have the patterns, but i will be cutting a 48 F1 shortly for a guy local.

11. Los_Control

Los_Control
    from TX

Just imagine if you passed on, and your heirs were dealing with this.
    My Uncle's estate the family just called the scrappers and had them come pick things up for free or very little cash.
    They just wanted to liquidate and move on with their own lives.
    They were more interested in selling the house and property then cars and parts.

I myself am still buying, yesterday I bought a 239 flat head and 4spd out of a 1951 1/2 ton truck for $100.
    Complete engine and sight unseen ... I figure enough parts to regain my $100 if block is bad.

olscrounger likes this.
  12. The37Kid

The37Kid

Isn't that what got the RR lifestyle started?

Bob

Max Gearhead likes this.
  13. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Facebook Marketplace is easy to list on and no fees. Put a note on the pictures saying local pick up or buyer pays shipping. Those of you who really hate to throw someone else's treasue away, but finally decided you don't want to store it any longer.......take a picture and list it for free. Then you have the satisfaction of knowing that at least someone else either used it or at least continued to preserve it . The thing about nostalgia is that it ain't cheap, but it takes up a lot of space.:D

Last edited: Jul 12, 2020
    waxhead, alanp561 and 41rodderz like this.
  14. pkhammer

pkhammer

That video looks familiar. Been there and done that a few times!

15. Seon

Seon

I'll be selling extra parts from my '58 Impala restoration..ie, hood bar I bought from Autocity.com then found mine after the part was delivered. :rolleyes:

16. lilbilly666

lilbilly666
    from Atlanta

I’m not in that situation as a younger guy in his 30s, but I’d highly recommend you try to find someone to give the parts to that has the interest if they don’t sell. Better that than a family member inheriting it and scrapping it (including an entire Model A) before your grandson can get to it. :mad:

17. The hard thing about being a younger guy trying to build "period" hot rod is the parts and knowledge. If you don't want or can't use some of your old parts, I guarantee there is a younger rodder looking for those parts. It has taken me four or five years to find the parts for my project. And for every part I buy it seems I need two more to make it work.. NEVER throw out your unwanted parts. Us young guys need them. What sucks for me about local pick up only being in Michigan is there really aren't ever parts in Michigan. All the parts are out west or down south. Motor city my ass. Where are all the parts. I had to ship 95% of my project in. I might be off topic a little, but I had to comment. It's worth the time to list your parts and pass down the knowledge. As far as price. With a strong economy they will sell. If this virus continues, well everything will be worth nothing for a while. I guess that's just life. Good luck with your part hunting and selling.

J.Ukrop, UGOTBIT, waxhead and 2 others like this.
  18. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I am getting a 50/50 mix . Some pull the trigger and some are on the fence then fall off .:p

19. gene-koning

gene-koning

My son and I have been building rides from my pile of stuff for years, probably somewhere around 4 or 5 cars or trucks have been built from the pile. That makes the pile much smaller then it used to be. It also means most of the stuff that is still here comes from the "What was I thinking, keeping this?" list of stuff. Sometimes I'm pretty amazed at some of the stuff I thought was worth keeping all those years ago. There are also a few items that make me wonder how I didn't see that part before. The saddest piles are the ones I kept for a specific project, but then couldn't find when I needed that part. There are several parts here that belong on that list, but probably have little value now that that project is done and gone. Unfortunately, those parts are still here.

Every once and a while I'll find a part I think might be useful or of some value to someone, and will list it for sale, but few of those items seem to sell. Sometimes I have stuff here that probably would be helpful to someone, but have no idea how a guy would box it up to ship it across the country without the part getting killed in shipping, or the cost of shipping would kill the deal. I've had a few guys tell me how badly they need or wanted a part I had, but then wanted me to nearly give it to them (if they would use it I would probably be OK with nearly giving it away), but then they expect me to figure out how to box it up and send it to them, and expect me to ship it for free as well.
    I've reached a point in my life its not worth dealing with. If I can't use a part myself, or don't know anyone close that would want that part, it will go with the next trip to the scrap yard, or it will sit on the shelf until I'm gone and my son or daughter will deal with it.
    Selling stuff used to be fun. You load it up on your truck, haul it to a swap meet, sell or swap it for something you want, and go home with your new to your stuff and maybe made enough money to pay for the day. Its just not that way anymore. No one seems to be building stuff anymore, and most that are still building want modern stuff, or new stuff. Old junk is old junk, unless its cool looking, but then it better be cheap. Gene

olscrounger and 41rodderz like this.
  20. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Maybe that’s the secret to a happy life.

21. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Also take in consoderation fewer and fewer people even want to mess with old parts on old cars anymore. Most guys want "updated" everything and brand new parts from summit or speedway delivered to thier front door. By the time you leave it for your kids to figure it out its all gonna be chaff.

Sent from my SM-A205U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

22. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

Not to bash any one here,especially the young guys, but if you want my parts or anybody else's . Stop walking by our swap spaces staring at your DAM PHONES!!! Or stop and tell me what a great deal I have on a set of fender's and then tell me you brought the wife's Civic to save on gas and can't haul them. Been buying and selling at swaps for 35 years and the last seven or eight has gotten worse every year. The stuff I got left are projects that if your not like me, who has the shop, tool's and knowledge to do everything yourself and it is what you want to keep and enjoy are not worth pulling out of "BARN" so to speak. Good luck with all your liquidation sales. I do not have the desire to list things and deal with stupid questions and trade offers { I am 64 and have two Harley's,what do I want with a 125 Yamaha !} I am retiring this year and may fine some new energy when I do not have to get up at 4:30 to do an hour plus commute work 9 or 10 hours as a finish carpenter and drive home. lol Larry

23. 30panel

30panel

Gota list!

24. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Parts seem to pile up. My attic is full of 40 stuff but I'm hanging onto it for a while. Between my neighbor and I we have a lot of other stuff we don't need. Nomad stuff , wheels, etc etc. We gave away a lot of tri five stuff to some young guys around the corner a while back and they were very grateful Selling stuff now is a hassle and shipping is expensive-big items-forget it!
    A while back a guy wanted a set of boards-he is in Chicago. Told him don't want to ship.
    I guess he needed pretty bad-so I wrapped em up, drove and got a cost and gave him a price. He was so glad to get them. Also send two sets of early heads to Minnesota-those weren't cheap either and not fun to pack but the guy was very happy. Do my best to avoid shipping big items but will if they seem sincere. As to value of win/lose in prices I agree with Squirrel that many can lose a lot in a day in IRA'S compared parts loss. Fret over losing $20-40 on a part and the IRA dropped $5K plus that day.

pkhammer likes this.
  25. bchctybob

bchctybob

I’ve been cleaning up and listing a bunch of inexpensive items here on the H.A.M.B. I’m hoping someone needs them and if the price is low enough the shipping won’t hurt as bad.
    I’ve also given away some bigger, hard to sell stuff like my chassis jig and now I’m looking at offing my big band saw and my mill. These days inside shop space is more important than having those machines.
    I am hoping to do a few swap meets if we ever get past this virus thing. Stuff gone and cash in hand makes me real happy these days.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

41rodderz and olscrounger like this.
  26. Why don’t you the parts here on the Hamb. Try to mostly only sell to Alliance members. Use PayPal as seller. only
    If you must ship make them pay for it. It’s where we are at now with all this. I can’t believe people are going to swap meets at all.

if you don’t own the storage place where you parts are at and you pay storage fees. You part would essentially be worthless in a matter of years.

if you die you can take them with you and your next of kin will sell them for pennies or trash them.

On parts prices below what you paid.

Sometimes you win big on sending something away sometimes you lose.

Professional parts flippers which there are plenty here and at the swap meets always want to win. Hence why they won’t budge on their price and it’s firm or hit the road that is why they carry the same parts to the swap meet every time.

Price your parts at a reasonable prices vs what you see here or eBay and if someone needs it they will ask.

btw I’m looking for some 1941 Cadillac Stainless stone shields. If you have some please post. Haha.

27. Any one with their face shoved in a phone while at a swapmeet or a car show shouldn't be there. I'm 33 and have a flip phone. Can't stand people that stare at their phone all day. What a waste. Hope to do the swapmeet next year. I enjoy it. Sell junk and buy more junk. But there will be idiots with civics. It's just part of it. Just a thought. Before your unwanted junk goes to the scrap yard or the curb, list it for free, or just above what a scraper can scrap it for. They don't make these parts anymore. I've been looking for a rusty broke down unrestorable truck car or tractor from the 30's 0r 40's. Can't find one anywhere for just above scrap price. Want it for in front of the new barn. People just throw out everything or think its worth a million because they saw it on Barret Jackson. What a shame. Lots of good junk gets lost in time. Some one was going to scrap my avitar photo. A 1935 Ford Dump! They were nuts. It will live in my yard till the day I die. I love junk.

waxhead and The37Kid like this.
  28. im 35,i have ,my phone in my face most of the day after work and on the weekends,,,ive bought and sold tons of parts and met incredible people by doing so,,,I do put my phone away in a conversation or where I have to,,,but by keeping my eyes open,following leads,making calls,reading post ive been able to sell and buy.
    once i have most of the parts I need,I will stop and put all my time into building..
    when I work or when Im playing with my rusty gold,I put my phone away..

alanp561 likes this.
  29. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Well not from my parts :p

30. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I like that.

ekimneirbo likes this.