Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical selling ''parts car'' overseas without a title?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BadassBadger, Mar 28, 2014.

1. BadassBadger

BadassBadger
    from wisconsin

can a person get a car through port customs without a title? especially if its a non op rust bucket.

2. I sold a running car and I was told the paper work must be present when the car is delivered. HRP

3. Only if it's literally in pieces or missing the motor and trans

4. That is what I was thinking. ^^^^^ Maybe one of the Euro guys can answer it better.

5. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

A title is required or exemption paperwork that identifies the vehicle.
    Some vehicles that I have heard of were manufactured but not titled.
    The example that I am aware of is a GM factory produced Chevy for use as a drag car.

It was sold overseas but with no title the sale stalled.
    The owner then followed a number trail back to GM where he was advised that the car was a special order vehicle and since it was not being registered it was sold without a title.
    The seller obtained a GM declaration which stood as the paperwork in place of a title and now that car is in Australia.

I guess you could say it would be rare.

I am not sure how pink slips are treat at the Port!!!

6. BadassBadger

BadassBadger
    from wisconsin

in some pieces a NO engine

7. '51 Norm

'51 Norm
    from colorado

Can you dismantle it and ship "used parts"?

8. BadassBadger

BadassBadger
    from wisconsin

could if i absolutely had to

9. Squablow

Squablow

I had two 50 Lincolns, one went to Sweden and the other Finland. One was a whole car, in one piece and we had to get a title for it before it could be shipped. The other was a parts car but I had to cut it into pieces to ship it without a title.

If it has the main portion of a body sitting on a frame, it's going to need a title to export, and they're really watching that stuff closely now, since quite a few stolen old cars got shipped overseas in the last 10 years or so.

10. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Have you called a port authority?

11. big M

big M

Customs has gotten very fussy lately with all the stolen cars turning up at shipping ports. Anything remotely resembling a complete vehicle will need a title, sometimes a junk cert issued by a state will suffice also. I would definitely call whatever port or shipping company, and check the requirements.

---John

12. Definitely needs a title to leave the USA.

13. ^^^^Then how are all of these stolen cars being shipped out in containers to foreign countries???

14. rockfish

rockfish

Not to be a smartass, but they're doing it illegallly.

15. The37Kid

The37Kid

Sold a Devin to Italy that was a real sad looking "pioject". Buyer took care of everything, even got the rollback to my house within 30 minutes of when he said it would arrive. One of the smoothest sales I've ever had. Bob

16. Ratrod.piper

Ratrod.piper
    from canada

I'm a logistics coordinator, & I do shipping for a living,.. Including customs docs and even loading containers.. In all honesty.. Not every container is searched or examined.. Also imagine sticking a 20-foot car in the back of a 40 foot container and then piling crates to the ceiling in front of it with some crazy bracing hold it in place.. it gets you through the docks across the ocean... The ship is Unloaded in port customs cleared as maybe.. crates of metal... Then the container is brought to the loading dockof the delivery address where can it can be unloaded... Makes it almost guaranteed if you have someone crooked at the loading docks willing to stamp inspected without inspecting it physically

17. BadassBadger

BadassBadger
    from wisconsin

some good advice here!

18. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Australia requires a title or bill of sale before car can legally come into the country. If however it was only parts and disassembled, only supporting receipts etc are required for customs. A receipt is required to support everything!

19. summersshow

summersshow
    from NC

"I routinely mislabeled my shipments "farm machinery." And I have yet to meet the lowly-paid customs official who will open a container marked "radioactive waste" to verify its contents. But my personal favorite is the unique combination of week-old potatoes and tropical heat."
    -Lord of War

I was reading this and thought of this quote... lol

20. According to my experience the title is usually needed, but there's some exceptions. Some states don't issue titles for old cars, like GA and NY. There the car needs to have current registration and one needs public notary signed documents along with the bill of sale to get it out of the country. I have also seen a strange rule that the seller needs to have purchased the car when it was already at least 25 years old, meaning you can't sell an oldie to overseas if you are the first owner. That makes no sense to me.

21. donbatey

donbatey

I've imported a couple into the UK with only a notarised bill of sale and no title, never been a problem.

22. Importing isn't the problem. It's the exporting. Homeland Security and all that. .....

23. That was the point i was trying to make

24. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

We ship scrap metal overseas in containers and they require photos of the empty container, 2 more as loading proceeds, one when it is fully loaded and one with the seal below on it.

[​IMG]